Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-03 01:44:44

aebolzan
Website

New Backlight bilingual web site

After learning some tricks from Rod (thanks Rod for your patience), I have eventually removed my web site and replaced it by a one using Backlight. I preferred to start from scratch  instead of exporting CE4 galleries to Backlight. I must say that using Backligth is great, far more easy and comfortable than CE4 (although some settings are not so simple to understand, a better help file is needed). Very fast to build, now one does not have de slow behaviour that CE4 (and CE3) have inside LR. It is very friendly, although it still lacks some features that CE4 has, namely better control of fonts, more options for albums, etc. But for me, the time I spare when creating or modifying my web site is more important. I guess that all the things that I now miss will be added in the near future.......but now.....I have only to worry and manage Publisher in LR, the rest is past!....great job Matt!

Now I have to improve the exported images (I see that watermarks need to be refined, for instance, and some titles are missing), but this is work for LR. What I do not know yet, is if one can work with only one set of uploaded images or each backlight implementation ([backlight] and [english][backlight] in my case), needs its proper folder with jpg files or they can share a common jpg folder,....and spare uploading work and time)....

Agustin

www.agustinbolzan.com.ar

#2 2016-06-05 08:00:37

Macromac
Website

Re: New Backlight bilingual web site

Hi,
I see on your site that you have 2 languages.
What did you end up doing about the images and folders?
I ask as I need 2 languages on my site.
I have Backlight and yes it is good but the documentation and some functions need to be improved.
Thanks
Paul

#3 2016-06-05 08:20:12

Ben

Macromac wrote:

Hi,
some functions need to be improved.

Hi Paul, can you provide more detail on which functions you think need improving?

#4 2016-06-05 09:39:30

aebolzan
Website

Paul,

what I did was just to create a second instance of backlight in a folder that I denoted as "English", so in the menú I added  "English" linked to the url agustinbolzan.com.ar/english/. For the sake of simplicity I created my Spanish backlight, then downloaded to my pc and once again uploaded to the site, so that, the only thing that I needed at that stage was to translate the texts in Spanish to English (menus and templates were then the same). I did all of this BEFORE creating the galleries (take care with this). Albums were created after so that there was no mesh with the Publisher and Albums (see http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=6495 and http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=6534, for avoiding some mistakes I did at first).  As I do not see yet (and I do not know if it is at all posible) how to share the same jpg files between both sites, I have two different instances of Publisher in LR, one for Spanish and another for English. This is not complicated, but it means that you have to uploaded the images twice. Not bad, but it requires to be organised, in order to remember always to move an image to two albums and upload two albums at a time. I did something similar in the past using CE4, with Stage and a Flip Gallery for the entrance to th different languages, but although I liked Flip very much I ended considering that it eventually made a little annoying  the entrance of the site: i guess that no one wants to stay waiting to see the show of fullsize  images before entering  into the home page of the sites.

Hope this is what you are asking for....

Agustin

#5 2016-06-05 18:37:12

Macromac
Website

Hi Agustin, Thanks for the reply, yes I also was hoping not to have to load 2 copies of the images as I have loads of photos big_smile
I'll look at the links and your mail more closely later.
Thanks again
Paul

#6 2016-07-13 04:11:00

Samoreen
Website

Hi,

FYI.

This site appears to have big problems.

Patrick

#7 2016-07-13 06:44:48

Ben

Samoreen wrote:

Hi,

FYI.

This site appears to have big problems.

Please elaborate.

#8 2016-07-13 07:56:40

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

Please elaborate.

Hi,

I tried to access your site in various browsers this afternoon (french time) and I could only get garbage on the screen. No images, partial texts, a bunch of error messages (like those we get when Backlight has a problem,...). I should have made a screen capture but I was in a hurry. Now it's working correctly. Maybe the hosting server had a problem...?

Patrick

#9 2016-07-14 01:42:36

Leuvenaar230
Website

I tried to use the contact form but got this:
Something went wrong
Unexpected error: Call to undefined function mb_convert_encoding() in HTMLHelper.php on line 277

Please report error at http://community.theturninggate.net

#10 2016-07-14 06:17:30

Ben

Your server does not have a component called mbstring enabled.  Can you contact your host and ask them to enable mbstring?

Board footer