Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-08-09 06:19:03

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Corrupted thumbnails

Patrick, you might want to create a test gallery that is hidden from the index. It seems like the issue happens regularly enough for you in order to be able to have this gallery showing an error. This way, you can leave it up there and Ben could have a look at it.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#27 2016-08-09 07:18:51

Ben

Good suggestion Daniel. There are a number of things I can look at with a live example that can't be seen through a screenshot or page source alone.

#28 2016-08-09 20:40:17

Samoreen
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:

Patrick, you might want to create a test gallery that is hidden from the index.

Done. I'm playing with it since this morning and for the moment, I have not seen any thumbnail with a missing text label. I'll let you know as soon as a problem occurs.

Regarding the corrupted thumbnails, the problem didn't re-appear since I have disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox. So this issue can be considered as solved. Not a BL problem.

Patrick

#29 2016-08-10 17:53:24

Samoreen
Website

Well, since I have created the hidden test album, I'm unable to reproduce the missing text label problem, be it in the test album or in the regular albums. Very strange. Before, I had the problem almost each time I made a change anywhere in an album.

This is not browser related since I also had the missing labels on other browsers and systems. I don't know what may have changed since the addition of the test album. No update to LR or to Windows, no setting change in BL on the site or in LR beside disabling and re-enabling the "Push metadata without updating existing photos" option. But now, I don't have the problem be it ON or OFF.

Patrick

#30 2016-08-17 00:42:54

Samoreen
Website

Samoreen wrote:

I will provide the source code for both cases (text labels missing or not) the next time the problem occurs.

The missing text labels problem never re-appeared even after making a lot of changes. So I guess we can forget this.

The corrupted thumbnails problem did re-appear but again, this is a Firefox specific issue. Clearing the cache and refreshing fixes it. BL users should be aware of this, however. There's probably something in the BL generated code that Firefox cannot "swallow".

Patrick

#31 2016-08-17 07:12:12

Ben

Samoreen wrote:

BL users should be aware of this, however. There's probably something in the BL generated code that Firefox cannot "swallow".

Not necessarily.  We will keep an eye on this, but until we see this with own eyes, or more wide-spread than your particular setup, we cannot attribute this to Backlight.

#32 2016-08-17 16:55:09

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

...we cannot attribute this to Backlight.

This is not what I meant. Firefox has a lot of problems since last year. So I'm suspecting it has a bug that makes it unable to correctly interpret such or such code under certain circumstances. Since the problem systematically disappears after clearing the Firefox cache, BL is certainly not involved. Just, Firefox might not be able to handle a given code sequence emitted by BL while other browsers don't have any problem with it.

I first thought it was an issue with hardware acceleration but obviously, it's not the case.

Patrick

#33 2016-08-17 20:30:45

Ben

Thanks for clarifying.  I'd still like to work out where or what the problem is, so if you find it happening again, please continue to post here.

#34 2016-08-17 21:12:42

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

Thanks for clarifying.  I'd still like to work out where or what the problem is, so if you find it happening again, please continue to post here.

This happened twice yesterday. Always the same problem as shown in the images I posted in my initial post. Each time I looked at the same page under IE, Chrome, Edge, Safari,... No problem. In Firefox, refreshing the page is not enough, I have to clear the cache to make the problem disappear.

Do you want me to capture the page source code next time?

Patrick

#35 2016-08-17 21:17:46

Ben

I really need to see this for myself.  If you see this, can you save one of the thumbnails through the browser (by right-clicking that particular thumbnail and selecting save image) and email it to me?  It would also be worth opening that thumbnail in the browser after saving it, to see whether it still appears corrupted.

#36 2016-08-17 23:05:38

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

If you see this, can you save one of the thumbnails through the browser (by right-clicking that particular thumbnail and selecting save image) and email it to me?

Since the thumbnail is about 1 px high in that case (as you can see from the screen capture I posted), there's not much to right-click. I succeeded once and the downloaded thumbnail was OK. Which seems to indicate that it's a display problem in Firefox. That's why I suggested to capture the page source code in order to confirm that the code itself is OK. But I'm pretty sure it is, otherwise just clearing the cache and refreshing wouldn't fix the problem.

Anyway, I'll try to download again if possible when the problem re-appears.

Patrick

#37 2016-08-18 20:49:20

Samoreen
Website

Ben,

The problem appeared again today on an album set page. 3 thumbnails were corrupted. I downloaded the 3 corresponding images and they are OK, as expected. I captured the source code and made a screen capture. You'll find everything in this archive : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 … bnails.zip . The image names are unchanged so you can easily find the corresponding blocks in the source code. I didn't see anything wrong in these blocks.

I clicked on one of the affected thumbnails to see if I also had the same problem in the corresponding album but everything was OK. The problem disappeared when returning to the album set page (no refresh). This confirms that the problem is with Firefox.

The correct album set page is here : http://www.ppphoto.fr/galleries/ .

Last edited by Samoreen (2016-08-18 20:50:04)

Patrick

#38 2016-08-18 23:11:06

rod barbee
Website

for what it's worth, I'm also using Firefox (47.0.1) and am seeing no problem with the thumbnails on that page.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#39 2016-08-18 23:32:46

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

for what it's worth, I'm also using Firefox (47.0.1) and am seeing no problem with the thumbnails on that page.

I'm using version 48 but it has been updated very recently.

This is not a permanent problem. It appears from time to time when displaying an album or album set page. Clearing the cache and refreshing always fix the problem and now (this is new) navigating to another page and returning to that page may or may not fix the problem.

Very strange. Maybe it's an issue with my hardware configuration but I don't see why this problem would appear only with thumbnails displayed by BL. Maybe the number of simultaneous downloads ? I have looked at network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server and it is set to the default value : 6.

If I'm the only one hit by this issue, this is a non-problem. However, a Google search with "Firefox corrupted images" results in a lot of problem reports.

Patrick

#40 2016-08-29 22:14:01

Samoreen
Website

Just to confirm : the corrupted thumbnails issue is purely a Firefox issue. I just had similar problems on another web site (images not displayed). Refreshing the page had no effect but clearing the cache fixed the problem.

Patrick

#41 2016-12-28 02:38:06

Samoreen
Website

I'm still wondering why this problem still occurs randomly in Firefox only, whatever my settings. Here is a new example :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 … roblem.JPG

Original page here :

http://www.ppphoto.fr/galleries/

F5 usually fixes the problem but this is annoying.

Patrick

#42 2016-12-28 02:53:51

rod barbee
Website

It's looking fine for me in Firefox. I even refreshed the page multiple times and the thumbnails were always there.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#43 2016-12-28 06:35:31

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

It's looking fine for me in Firefox. I even refreshed the page multiple times and the thumbnails were always there.

Hi Rod,

The more you refresh, the less chances you have to observe the problem. It actually occurs most often when opening the page for the first time in a Firefox session.

I can't imagine which setting or which add-on or plugin in Firefox may cause this. Now, if nobody else observes this phenomenon, I can live with it. If only I could be sure of this...

Patrick

#44 2016-12-28 06:46:38

rod barbee
Website

I've looked using Firefox on three computers. So far, the thumbnails have all been there.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#45 2016-12-28 17:40:31

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I also just loaded up for the first time in Firefox with no issue. All thumbnails are present.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer