Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-07 06:32:27

Samoreen
Website

Corrupted thumbnails

Hi,

I regularly get corrupted thumbnails with TIFF files, either in albums or in album sets. Here is an example :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 … mbnail.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 … mbnail.JPG

The corrupted thumbnail always has an image height of about 1 or 2 pixels and the label text is overlaid with garbage. To fix this, I have to remove the image from the album, re-publish, re-add the image to the album and re-publish again. This happens rather often.

Any fix?

Thanks.

Patrick

#2 2016-08-07 07:08:27

Samoreen
Website

Re: Corrupted thumbnails

Not only TIFF files. I just got the problem with a Canon RAW file.

Or could it be the browser ?

Patrick

#3 2016-08-07 08:12:36

Ben

Hi Patrick, it doesn't appear to be the browser.  How often does this happen?  Does re-publishing the broken image without making any other change fix it?  Something to try is to use Lightroom's Export function to generate equivalent images to the Thumbnails in your template, and see whether exported thumbnails to your local drive also have the same problem. 

It's very likely an issue within your Lightroom.  Publisher sends across the filesize of renditions along with the files, and if these don't match on the server then Backlight throws an error. 
If you know the filename of a thumbnail that has failed and then succeeded, then please let me know the name, and email me the file 'ttg.log' from within Documents on your PC so that I can confirm any differences in filesizes between publishing attempts.  ttg.log may be very large, so you may want to zip it first.

#4 2016-08-07 18:41:04

Samoreen
Website

Hi Ben,

I'll try to collect more information as you suggest.

The problem occurs almost each time I make a change to any album and re-publish that album, and not especially in the album that I modified. As mentioned above, to fix the problem, I have to remove the image from the album, re-publish to let BL take this action into account (I don't need to make a change to the image), re-add the image to the album and re-publish again. Merely making a slight change to the image and re-publishing immediately doesn't help, though.

I should also mention that this never happens the first time I publish an album. Just, at a given moment after a change in any album, I discover that I have a thumbnail page that has at least one corrupted thumbnail.

One thing I have not checked yet is to verify, when that problem appears, that the problem is also visible in another browser or on my iPad or my smartphone.

I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Patrick

#5 2016-08-07 19:01:57

Samoreen
Website

Hi again,

There's another probably related problem with thumbnails : sometimes, the thumbnail doesn't have any text label. This is newer than the corrupted thumbnail issue but it already happened 3-4 times. All other images in the thumbnail page have their text label displayed and for one of them, it's missing, although the corresponding metadata are available. In that case, altering anything in the metadata so that LR sees a change and re-publishing fixes the problem.

Patrick

#6 2016-08-07 21:43:17

Rainer Goergen
Website

Du brauchst doch nicht die Bilder aus dem Album zu nehmen und erneut rein zu setzen. Nur den Haken in den Publisher Einstellungen weg machen, damit die Thumbnails neu erzeugt werden, dann sollte es klappen. Oder ich habe dich jetzt falsch verstanden.

Rainer

#7 2016-08-07 22:57:16

rod barbee
Website

Samoreen wrote:

Hi again,

There's another probably related problem with thumbnails : sometimes, the thumbnail doesn't have any text label. This is newer than the corrupted thumbnail issue but it already happened 3-4 times. All other images in the thumbnail page have their text label displayed and for one of them, it's missing, although the corresponding metadata are available. In that case, altering anything in the metadata so that LR sees a change and re-publishing fixes the problem.

can you provide links to albums where this is happening and direct us to the specific thumbnails where these problems are occurring?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#8 2016-08-08 00:51:16

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

can you provide links to albums where this is happening and direct us to the specific thumbnails where these problems are occurring?

Hi Rod,

I tend to fix these problems as soon as they happen. So I have no link to provide for the moment. But I'll tell you when they appear again.

Patrick

#9 2016-08-08 01:02:25

Samoreen
Website

Rainer Goergen wrote:

Du brauchst doch nicht die Bilder aus dem Album zu nehmen und erneut rein zu setzen. Nur den Haken in den Publisher Einstellungen weg machen, damit die Thumbnails neu erzeugt werden, dann sollte es klappen. Oder ich habe dich jetzt falsch verstanden.

Danke Rainer,

Oder ich kann das Menü "Zum erneuten Veröffentlichen markieren" benutzen. Aber da einige Alben viele Bilder enthalten, möchte ich nicht alle Bilder im Album wieder neu erzeugen. Die Methode, die ich beschrieben habe, nimmt nur wenig Zeit in Anspruch.

Patrick

#10 2016-08-08 01:35:25

Rainer Goergen
Website

Sobald etwas mit den Thumbnails geändert wird, ob Text oder Metadaten, musst du immer die beiden unteren Haken weg machen, damit die Thumbnails neu erzeugt und hoch geladen werden. Ich bin auch anfangs verzweifelt.

R.

#11 2016-08-08 01:45:37

Samoreen
Website

Rainer Goergen wrote:

Sobald etwas mit den Thumbnails geändert wird, ob Text oder Metadaten, musst du immer die beiden unteren Haken weg machen, damit die Thumbnails neu erzeugt und hoch geladen werden. Ich bin auch anfangs verzweifelt.

Du meinst, "Push metadata without updating existing photos" u. "Publish thumbnails without updating other renditions" ?

Patrick

#12 2016-08-08 02:06:51

Rainer Goergen
Website

Der erste Haken müsste genügen. Ich hatte beide weg gemacht um sicher zu gehen. Hatte teilweise nach Änderungen im Beschriftungstext keine Beschriftung mehr unter manchen Thumbnails. Beide müssen weg, wenn du auch was an der Thumbnailgrösse änderst, z. B. Masonry Stil. Dann den Browser Cache löschen und den Template Cache. Und wenn Du Tests direkt auf deiner Webseite machst, greift auch oft der Proxy Cache noch für ein paar Minuten. Ich teste immer zuerst auf meinem NAS, da dort die Änderungen sofort sichtbar sind.

R.

#13 2016-08-08 02:17:27

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

Rod,

This page http://www.ppphoto.fr/galleries/09_etudes_couleur/ suddenly has got 2 thumbnails with the text labels missing. Middle column, second and third thumbnails.

Patrick

#14 2016-08-08 02:22:32

Rainer Goergen
Website

Das ist genau das, was ich meinte.

R.

#15 2016-08-08 02:59:35

Samoreen
Website

Samoreen wrote:

This page http://www.ppphoto.fr/galleries/09_etudes_couleur/ suddenly has got 2 thumbnails with the text labels missing. Middle column, second and third thumbnails.

I should have mentioned that both images were not submitted to any modification. Both text labels disappeared after I added a new image to this album.

Patrick

#16 2016-08-08 18:25:02

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

Hi Patrick, it doesn't appear to be the browser.  How often does this happen?  Does re-publishing the broken image without making any other change fix it?  Something to try is to use Lightroom's Export function to generate equivalent images to the Thumbnails in your template, and see whether exported thumbnails to your local drive also have the same problem.

More information about this issue...

I made some tests and couldn't see any anomaly. As mentioned above, when I first publish an album or when I add a new image to an album, the thumbnails are always OK. Not corrupted and text label correctly displayed. But when making some changes to an album after the fact, it happens that some thumbnails are incorrectly displayed. Usually, these are not the thumbnails corresponding to the newly added images or thumbnails for which the base image has been modified. It's random.

Actually, the corrupted thumbnails can appear in an album to which I didn't make any change. Wait a minute... I just checked the thumbnail page of all albums by doing a refresh on each page, and I could see that the thumbnail page of an album to which I didn't make any change since the first publishing had a corrupted thumbnail. This time, I immediately checked in other browsers : the thumbnail appears to be corrupted only in Firefox (latest version). Not in Chrome, IE, Edge, Safari on my Ipad,... This explains why the problem appears randomly in any album. It's Firefox that has a display problem or that sometimes doesn't interpret the BL code correctly.

So to summarize :

- the corrupted thumbnail problem seems to appear only in Firefox. If I clear the Firefox cache and refresh the page, the problem disappears without having to re-publish anything.

- the missing text label problem appears in any browser. This seems to be the main issue now since the corrupted thumbnail problem appears to be Firefox specific. Here is a screen capture showing this issue for two thumbnails : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 … labels.JPG - middle column - (I will fix it now on the real page). Clearing the cache and refreshing doesn't help, whatever the browser used.

Thanks.

Patrick

#17 2016-08-08 18:34:04

Samoreen
Website

Samoreen wrote:

Here is a screen capture showing this issue for two thumbnails : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 … labels.JPG - middle column - ...

Look at this page for the correct labels : http://www.ppphoto.fr/galleries/09_etudes_couleur/

Patrick

#18 2016-08-08 21:50:11

rod barbee
Website

Just looked at your page in Firefox. all captions are there.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#19 2016-08-08 21:59:55

Ben

Hi Patrick, sorry, but there's not much advice I can offer.  Once an image is on your server, it is nothing more than a static file.  A browser requests it, and the web server fetches the file.  There is no intermediate processing by any Backlight component.

What version of Firefox are you using, and on what operating system and version?  Do you have another PC with Firefox to test with?

The next time you see this, can you save the corrupted thumbnail, refresh the page and then save the correct thumbnail (with a different filename)?  Try viewing them in your file explorer to see whether there are any differences.  If there are, please email me both copies using the Email link under my picture.

#20 2016-08-08 22:32:20

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

Yes, I fixed everything after making the screen capture with the text labels missing.

Patrick

#21 2016-08-08 22:38:58

Samoreen
Website

Ben wrote:

The next time you see this, can you save the corrupted thumbnail, refresh the page and then save the correct thumbnail (with a different filename)?  Try viewing them in your file explorer to see whether there are any differences.  If there are, please email me both copies using the Email link under my picture.

I'll do that. I will also have a look at both versions of the source code (with an without corrupted thumbnails). I will also disable hardware acceleration to see if that could be the problem.

Anyway, regarding the corrupted thumbnails as described in my original post, it's now obvious that the problem is with Firefox.

However, since the missing text labels problem can be seen in any browser on any system, I guess this is more BL related. I'll try to give more information when that happens again.

Patrick

#22 2016-08-08 22:41:01

rod barbee
Website

Samoreen wrote:
rod barbee wrote:

Yes, I fixed everything after making the screen capture with the text labels missing.

it's hard to troubleshoot a problem when there is no problem to see....

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#23 2016-08-09 01:44:13

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

it's hard to troubleshoot a problem when there is no problem to see....

Just look at the message posted above that gives links showing the same page with and without the problem :

Samoreen wrote:

Here is a screen capture showing this issue for two thumbnails : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/554 … labels.JPG  - middle column - ...

Look at this page for the correct labels : http://www.ppphoto.fr/galleries/09_etudes_couleur/

Patrick

#24 2016-08-09 03:59:46

rod barbee
Website

a screen capture (showing the problem) is not the same as being able to look at the page's code.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#25 2016-08-09 05:27:04

Samoreen
Website

rod barbee wrote:

a screen capture (showing the problem) is not the same as being able to look at the page's code.

I will provide the source code for both cases (text labels missing or not) the next time the problem occurs.

Patrick

Board footer