Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-06-01 06:58:27

5Michael5

object to 30 second wait

Kindly get rid of the ridiculous 30 second wait between searches on this forum.

I realy find it an outrage to have to w a i t  as a fully paying, logged-in customer.

In spite of many promises in the past, Backlights documentation is still poor at best,
lacks ANY kind of search facility (!) whereas this forum's search is extremely limited as well.

Very simple example:
there are page presets to be downloaded - as txt files.
Now what? No instructions.

After more than 15 minutes  I still have not found how to get them usable on my site.

#2 2020-06-01 07:13:33

rod barbee
Website

Re: object to 30 second wait

Download template presets from your Backlight > Templates page. There's a big blue button right at the top.

See the Templates area of the documentation regarding the menu item for importing templates
https://backlight.me/docs/templates
(you simply download the preset template text files to you computer. Then import them in to Backlight)

30 second wait between searches? I've never run into that, and I'm in the forum every day, often using the search feature.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-06-01 17:33:18

Rainer Goergen
Website

Same, 30 seconds to wait for the next search, since I am member of this forum.

Rainer

#4 2020-06-01 20:44:05

Ben

I wonder if there's a setting in the forum software. Any wait may not apply to Rod and me as we're both moderators. There's nothing I can find in the settings I have access to. We'll look into it.

Rest assured we're not trying to make your life difficult.

#5 2020-06-02 09:10:32

5Michael5

Thx Ben!
<<Rest assured we're not trying to make your life difficult.>>

I know you guys do what needs to be done, no complaints there!

It's just that I have been a TTG-customer since the very start and it bothers me that documentation is still such a very weak point.
In all honesty I could not name any other such "vital" product (free or paid for that matter) causing so much loss of time and frustration.
No search function, come on, it's 2020 and not everybody uses the same software lingo.This goes even more for a product that is mostly left pretty much alone for longer periods of time, once a site is up. We're human, we forget. Not to mention that the old documentation for Backlight 1 & 2 with which we had to spent quite a few hours with, has even been made available/accessible!

Backlight is a unique product, as far as I know without any serious competitor. That's fine and good for (TTG's) business, but it should also mean taking extra care that customerts can concentrate on photography rather than reinventing the wheel every time.
Promises in the right direction were made, and yet again I have to bother you moderators with the stupidest of questions.

#6 2020-06-02 10:11:59

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The 30 second timer between searches is a standard anti-flood measure built into FluxBB, a piece of forum software that I'm eager to replace if ever I can find a suitable replacement. As it is, everything I try makes me hate my career choices.

Search on backlight.me is on my to-do list, but waiting until I find time to figure out Algolia implementation. That's going to require a day when I'm not otherwise occupied by the day job, developing Backlight itself, working on migrating The Turning Gate, evaluating alternatives for FluxBB, or attempting to make the smallest progress toward having a lifestyle (cooking, hiking, not going insane). The article headings on backlight.me are mostly to-the-point, and so search is pretty low priority on this list. Bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2020-06-05 05:54:54

5Michael5

<<The article headings on backlight.me are mostly to-the-point, and so search is pretty low priority on this list. Bigger fish to fry at the moment.>>

I wonder if I'm the only one who finds this a deplorable customer approach.

Over the years this community has shown hundreds if not thousands of issues that "mostly" could have been solved by users themselves at the time it suited THEM. Valuable time won by the right investment, at the right time, I should think.

I'm sure everybody at TTG has a very busy working and private life - as do probably the vast majority of clients who pay for its products. Sarcastic terms like "Bigger fish to fry" fall sadly short of elementary respect for elementary customer needs.

#8 2020-06-05 06:32:55

Ben

I think you are being very unfair here. Looking at your posting history, you’ve had two things you’ve asked about in the past year. So it doesn’t seem that you’re getting stuck over and over again. The first was installation problems. They were particular to your setup and the actions you had taken, and there’s no way that we could document our way to a solution for that case. The second was about full screen galleries. Rod replies quickly and you were able to get it working.

In both cases we promptly assisted you. In one case you may have been better served with documentation. We continue to work on it. Matt has put a huge amount of effort into the new documentation and has stated above that it will take him a full day to get search going, based on your suggestion. But, he or us are labelled as deplorable.
As I said, unfair.

Yes, we both work full time outside of TTG and have other commitments as well. As much as I’d like to be cruising around my neighbourhood in a Porsche with TTG decals, that’s not where we are. My apologies if you consider that to be sarcastic. It’s not intended to be.

Board footer