Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-17 01:13:07

gary_in_austin

Hero Images_custom thumbnails?

I love the Hero image option. I like that it's customizable. and I really like the default rectangle size of X=2 and Y=1.
Problem I have is when a photo is grabbed I just want a specific slice area.

So, is there a way to use random say 5 custom thumbnails for hero images for each gallery?
Some images lend them selves being more "heroic" than others, especially when I just want someone's face
inside the hero rectangle.

I'd also like the option to give some rounded corners to hero images. But I'm loving using Hero images because it breaks up the
thumbnail boxes and it's really a good design eminent! ~Awesome!

#2 2020-05-17 01:37:10

rod barbee
Website

Re: Hero Images_custom thumbnails?

there are border-radius and border-radius of image settings in the template. Those will round the corners.

There is no current way to use just a select number of images. The image shown is chosen just like the cover image. So all those limitations apply.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-05-17 01:44:16

tomowensphoto
Website

Matt did a video that shows rounding the corners https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Z8O1tOOjU

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#4 2020-05-17 02:10:29

gary_in_austin

I downloaded Matt's video and got rounded corners looking nice. Great option.

I'm going to be trying to test how I can get the Hero images to a specific slice area. It's just not a good look when someones face is cut off or all you see is a shoulder close up. It's kinda amusing ..in a way. But I want hero images to be faces or where I have a bit more control. I'm in no hurry but customization of the Hero images slice area or if I can use custom thumbnails for Hero images in the future ..wow, that would be be EPIC HERO.

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2020-05-17 02:11:59)

#5 2020-05-17 02:17:03

rod barbee
Website

custom thumbnails is the answer to face cutting wink

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2020-05-17 02:40:43

gary_in_austin

Hilarious, Rod.  ...but I don't wanna be a face cutter. I'll be testing out how to make custom images for Hero images. Thanks for the suggestion. Backlight 3  is very very cool. (bought all the add-ons, too.)

#7 2020-05-17 05:47:59

tgalex
Website

Gary - The option I used was to change the hero image aspect ratio from 2:1 to 3:1 and then used the image placement controls to obtain the image slice I wanted to use.  With that ratio it gives you a top-middle-bottom slice option.   Since not every album was the same, I ended up cloning and creating a specific album template for each album based on the image slice and title placement.  I actually like the look of the thinner hero image.  Check out my albums at https://terrancealexander.com.

#8 2020-05-18 09:27:36

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Hero image is not ideal for custom thumbnails, unless you make your thumbnails the size of a full image ... which would be just fine, I think.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#9 2020-05-19 06:44:49

gary_in_austin

Thank you Terrance. Thanks, Rod. Thanks, Matthew. Your insights give me something more narrow to work toward cause I do love the Hero images and you all give me good suggestions to try when I get an hour or so. I'll be back with info in a few days with what I've learned.

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2020-05-19 06:47:21)

#10 2020-05-26 12:31:47

gary_in_austin

Hero custom thumbnail is not what I intended to term and I should have asked about to used a custom cropped Hero image.

So, I've tried making my own HERO custom crop image (at just the pixel dimensions I want) and putting it in the "custom_thumbnails" folder and then going to ->Edit Album -> Base Settings ->Cover Image ->Custom
...And and that works nicely for a custom HERO thumbnail but now that becomes the thumbnail back in my galleries and I lose
all those nice thumbnails of the photos people area about to clickthrough. I love regular thumbnails of all the photos, ...guess this is not the way to use a Cover Image as a Hero Image.

I'm just trying to display my Hero Image in a specific custom way rather than, ..top, ..center ..bottom ..left ..right.
It's fine to crop manually in a photo editor and use that as a custom Hero Image ..wouldn't everybody think that would be an awesome feature to choose exactly how your Hero image looks?

I love the idea of a Hero image, but want to be able to control what the slice of a photos is and be able to feature a face instead of an elbow or whatever randomly shows up when I choose from the available settings like: position X -> center, position Y -> Top.

Here's a link (custom cropping a Hero image)
https://www.garybrackin.com/galleries/beauty-glamour/

Last edited by gary_in_austin (2020-06-11 13:24:55)

Board footer