Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-13 23:36:27

pideja

Importing published albums

I have a bilingual Backlight 3.0.2 sub-site that will eventually replace an existing site built in CE3. This sub-site is here: pideja.ca/marco
Being a bilingual site, it has two sides, Fr and En. I would have like to merge the videosrc folder but for the structure, the album-set and the album, I have to have two versions because of the text.
I already built the Fr side. I exported the Fr templates to the En side.
But I still have to build the albums. Is there any way I can clone or import the Fr albums and then, edit/translate the text?

#2 2020-05-13 23:48:40

rod barbee
Website

Re: Importing published albums

if they are two different sites, using two different top-level gallery folders, then no, you would have to publish to each.

The best solution would be to use the Multi-language feature of Backlight. That way you only need to build one site.
https://backlight.me/docs/multilanguage-support

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-05-14 00:02:40

pideja

OK, I get that the way I built my site(s), I probably can't import the previously published albums because each section is a separate site. That's why there is a first page with the Fr and En menus buttons. Each leads to a separate site.
The solution proposed by TTG for multi-language sites is very interesting but the way I understand it, the site would switch the language in accordance with the computer's operating system. The problem with that is that a lot of French-speaking people have the English language as the operating system's language. How would the switch to French occur under these conditions?

#4 2020-05-14 00:26:34

pideja

The way I see it, exporting/importing templates is almost meaningless. I exported the templates for the PAGES, GALLERY SETS and ALBUMS from the Fr side and then imported them into the En side. Nothing shows. It's as if I started from scratch. I expected at least the basic structure with language tweaking to be done.

Unless I'm going about it the wrong way...

#5 2020-05-14 00:30:58

rod barbee
Website

pideja wrote:

OK, I get that the way I built my site(s), I probably can't import the previously published albums because each section is a separate site. That's why there is a first page with the Fr and En menus buttons. Each leads to a separate site.
The solution proposed by TTG for multi-language sites is very interesting but the way I understand it, the site would switch the language in accordance with the computer's operating system. The problem with that is that a lot of French-speaking people have the English language as the operating system's language. How would the switch to French occur under these conditions?

No, the site switches language based on the user choice. In the page template under the Top Pallet control group is an option for Language Selector.
A Glob icon will appear at the top of the page. Your visitors can click on it and choose the language.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2020-05-14 00:32:48

rod barbee
Website

pideja wrote:

The way I see it, exporting/importing templates is almost meaningless. I exported the templates for the PAGES, GALLERY SETS and ALBUMS from the Fr side and then imported them into the En side. Nothing shows. It's as if I started from scratch. I expected at least the basic structure with language tweaking to be done.

Unless I'm going about it the wrong way...

You must be. The export/import process works flawlessly for me. What steps are you taking?
You first need to export templates from one site and save them to your computer. Then log into the other site and import templates.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2020-05-14 00:51:05

pideja

You first need to export templates from one site and save them to your computer. Then log into the other site and import templates.

That's exactly what I am doing. In https://pideja.ca/marco/Fr/backlight/de … templates/ I export the templates for PAGES, GALLERY SET and ALBUM from the Fr side and then open https://pideja.ca/marco/En/backlight/de … templates/ which is the En side and then I import the three templates. I notice, right off the bat that the Fr PAGES-marco template indicates 2 child templates and 3 pages.
Whereas once imported into the En side, I have 2 child templates but 0 pages! It may not mean anything but on the Fr side, the DEFAULT page template indicates 0 pages but on the En side, it indicates 4.

Last edited by pideja (2020-05-14 00:52:07)

#8 2020-05-14 00:54:09

rod barbee
Website

I'm not really following. Screen shots would help.

Are the templates being imported or not? Have you assigned the templates to the existing pages, sets and albums?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2020-05-14 01:25:11

pideja

The templates look like they are imported. Take a look at the sites:
pideja.ca/marco/Fr and pideja.ca/marco/En
As for the Backlight structure, on the Fr side fr and the En side en

#10 2020-05-14 01:27:35

rod barbee
Website

have you assigned the template to the pages on the EN side?? Imported templates won't automatically be assigned

your screen shot shows that the Default page template is assigned to four pages and that you've not assigned the new template to any pages.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2020-05-14 01:30:12

rod barbee
Website

not to beat a dead horse, but you could avoid all the template confusion by creating just one, multi-language, site.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2020-05-14 03:29:42

pideja

Believe me, I would rather build just one, multi-language, site. But I don't know where to assign the ''data-lang'' attribute to the HTML element on the page.

And of course, I had forgotten to assign the pages!

Last edited by pideja (2020-05-14 03:30:08)

#13 2020-05-14 03:48:01

rod barbee
Website

Did you look at the documentation? Matt included examples.
You can surround all the English text with a div that contains data-lang=en attribute and surround all the French text with a similar div containing the other data-lang attribute.

Just give it a try, it's not really that hard.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2020-05-14 03:57:02

rod barbee
Website

I just whipped this page up, using Matt's example text. Click on the globe icon at the top of the page.
https://bl3-test.barbeephoto.com/mulit-language/

you can use the data-lang attribute in the nav menu too.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2020-05-14 04:06:05

pideja

I understand (I think )...in your example, the content changes language but not the menus or navigation. Is this because it's a quickly made up site or is that a limit to the multi-language approach?
I am a bit tentative, for sure. Not too sure how to do this. I'll start a new thread on a multi-language site so as to not stray too far on this thread.

In the meantime, still having problems with that En side.

#16 2020-05-14 04:28:46

rod barbee
Website

I understand (I think )...in your example, the content changes language but not the menus or navigation. Is this because it's a quickly made up site or is that a limit to the multi-language approach?

no, it’s just because I hadn't added the languages to each menu item.
There’s been a number of threads in the BL 2 Support forum about multi language. you may find some answers there too

(EDIT: I just added the languages to that menu set.)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2020-05-14 05:15:19

pideja

This is great, Rod. I finally got it to work, although I'm not finished, yet. And I am learning elementary HTML to boot. But I'll have a multi-language site within...well, you know until I get all the kinks ironed out!
I'll also get rid of that Fr, En page rendered useless.

Thanks for your patience, Rod.

Board footer