Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-06 06:32:25

sol
Website

Renaming A Gallery from Lightroom Publisher?

So, I tried to rename a gallery in lightroom and republish it. Renamed it in the LR/TTG Publisher. So essentially, killing the old gallery, and publishing it as a newly renamed gallery. Though it is actually still the same gallery that I've already set up. I'm getting an error message saying the old gallery title "can't be found" when I try to republish it. Like it still wants to be the old gallery.
Is this not possible? What am I missing here? 
Thx.
- Sol

Last edited by sol (2020-05-06 06:38:26)

#2 2020-05-06 06:55:53

rod barbee
Website

Re: Renaming A Gallery from Lightroom Publisher?

You should be able to rename album titles and slugs from Lightroom Publisher. You shouldn't need to republish, just changing the title or the slug and clicking on Edit should do it

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-05-06 07:24:31

sol
Website

Hey Rod,
Thanks for the reply.
So yes, I can rename the actual gallery from within LR/TTG Publisher as your describing. Sorry I wasn't clear. I want to rename the Top Gallery that sub galleries are nested in, when needed. Is that possible?
That's where I was getting the error messages.

#4 2020-05-06 08:10:36

rod barbee
Website

Yes.

In Backlight go to Publisher and click on the name of the top level gallery you want to change. Click Edit Properties and look under Base settings.
If you change the name of the directory, you'll need to make the same change in the Publisher Top-level galleries directory in Lighroom.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2020-05-06 11:26:18

sol
Website

Hey Rod,
So I tried what you suggested, ... I think, I did it right. :-)

Here is the URL the way it appears in Backlight2 Publisher: https://solarviewstudios.art/offline-dh … ball-2020/
(Previously the URL was https://solarviewstudios.art/dhs-galler … ball-2020/ )

So all I added was the text 'offline' to dhs-galleries. I added th same 'offline-dhs-galleries' in the 'Top-Level Galleries Directory box in LR. Theoretically, as I'm understanding you, that should work, right?

Any thoughts on where I went off the bridge here. :-b

#6 2020-05-06 11:47:02

rod barbee
Website

hmmm.
Maybe try updating the album files from the link on the main Backlight dashboard.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2020-05-06 11:59:56

sol
Website

To be clear, in my last post, the second (original) link and all the text that comes up at that link, should be appearing on the renamed ‘offline-...’ link, but with a gallery full of pictures. If I rename it back to it’s original naming at the two locations you mentioned, then the gallery looks normal again.
On your last suggestion...
If I try to update/republish from LR, I get an error message saying it can find the path.
Where are you referring to update within the BL2 Publisher? The actual Album edit page? Not seeing an ‘update’ per say.

#8 2020-05-06 12:02:04

sol
Website

OK, just found the ‘Update Files’ link you were referring.
That helped, but still can’t find the actual album page at the moment.

Last edited by sol (2020-05-06 12:02:17)

#9 2020-05-08 09:44:31

sol
Website

Hey Rod,
So to refresh on this...
Bottom line, Is there a particular file on my server that I can delete/reset that will allow the Backlight Publisher to see my LR Gallery as a new file?
None of the various combos of changing names, and trying to reset, reload are working. I took a gallery that was previously published (thus known working), in trying to change the name of the 'top gallery' as discussed, I tried to delete all of the elements except for the original LR Gallery.
I deleted the Files for the gallery in Backlight/Publisher. Both nested album and Top gallery. Then went on to my server and deleted them there, as Backlight had not.
I then tried to reload the gallery as a new gallery, simply with a different name. I now get an error message that "the album for ID xxxxx could not be found". As if, it's still looking for that same gallery in Publisher somewhere.
Is there an index or log reset I need to do in Backlights files on my server? Or from within BL?

Last edited by sol (2020-05-08 09:46:42)

#10 2020-05-08 09:48:52

rod barbee
Website

Ben will need to look at it. He’ll likely need Backlight admin access and possibly ftp access

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2020-05-08 09:51:47

sol
Website

OK. Thanks.

#12 2020-05-08 10:06:41

Ben

It's generally a bad idea to remove gallery files via FTP.  Backlight is meant to manage these in conjunction with the database entries so that the data and physical files are consistent.  Can you post details about what you're seeing and what you're expecting to see, with URLs?  I realise you've posted some links above, but it would be good if you could post current links along with what you're expecting to see. 
Along with that, can you email me a Backlight admin login so that I can see what's happening there.

#13 2020-05-08 10:25:23

sol
Website

FYI, I have noticed that even when I change the 'directory' link in the LR/Publisher, if I then right-click on the Gallery Title in LR, and select 'Go To Published Gallery', the link it tries to go to is the old link title, as that's what comes up in the URL in Safari. So its not acknowledging that I've changed the name of the gallery, as per what I what all I did above.

#14 2020-05-08 10:26:33

sol
Website

Hey Ben,
Just posted the above info. When it refreshed, I saw your new post.
Give me a minute...

#15 2020-05-08 10:45:35

sol
Website

Hey Ben,
OK, here where I'm starting. It's a 'Top Gallery' with two nested Galleries. Basically, it's a particular School, with two Spring-Sports Teams.
https://solarviewstudios.art/jchs-galleries/
I am wanting to be able to take these galleries offline, from view from the clients, after their purchasing period is done, simply by changing the title of the 'Top Gallery' to something they won't have access too, without actually deleting the galleries from Lightroom. That way, if I need to change it back for short extended grace period for those teams, I can do that by simply changing the Top Gallery name back to it's original title.
Really seems like aneasy enough idea. :-)

#16 2020-05-08 19:21:24

Ben

Thanks for the explanation.  This can be done in Backlight's Publisher in the following steps:

1. Click Publisher in the main menu
2. Click Edit for the entry for JCHS Galleries
3. Under Base Settings, change the value for Top-level Gallery Directory
4. Click Save

I don't think your approach is the best way of doing it though.  Top-level Galleries are limited in functionality and not intended for managing access, or even for renaming on an ad hoc basis.  I would instead recommend keeping a common Top-level Gallery Directory and giving each client an Album Set underneath it.  To lock the client out, you could then add an access code for the Album Set without giving the client the access code.  Or alternatively, you could set up an access code from day one, and then change it to prevent further access.

#17 2020-05-09 01:33:01

sol
Website

Hey, Ben.
So I did as you directed there. I changed the name, in the Backlight/Publisher Base settings to 'test-jchs-galleries'.
I 'Updated the Album Files' in Backlight's main screen.
I clicked on the 'View' link there in Publisher, for that 'JCHS Galleries'.
I now get the newly created URL (test-jchs-galleries), but the Album links are broken.
If I type in the old URL (jchs-galleries), that too is still there, but its Album links are also broken.

If I go into my server/files, I can see a newly created 'test-jchs-galleries' folder is there. But none of the nested albums and their images are in that folder.
The original folder (jchs-galleries), is also still there with it's nested albums and its images folders still in tact.

So it seems that changing the 'Directory' tittle in the Publisher settings, simply created a new folder with that new name on my server. It did not actually rename the old folder, as intended.

Thoughts...?

As to your suggestions on approach. My purposed goal is to generally limit each school's visibility to that school's parents and players. So they do not have to see all of the other schools and teams when I give them a 'Gallery Viewing' link.
But I also give them a dated-deadline for ordering to motivate purchasing decisions.
So the simple idea is to be able to change that gallery title, so it then disappears completely from their view. Not a password-blocked scenario.

Also, I'm always setting up different Sales Options for different teams, depending on what I have shot for a given team. So deleting them in LR is not what I want to do. That forces me to completely set up a new gallery from scratch for each new team and their next season. My hope is to be able to take a previous team's gallery, take it offline, make a few modifications, replace the actual images, and have essentially a template for upcoming galleries.
Is there a better way to do that? Open to suggestions. :-)

- Sol

#18 2020-05-09 10:06:29

Ben

Hi Sol, perhaps something has gone awry with the different changes you made with FTP interfering with the Backlight database.  Can you share FTP access and a Backlight admin login via Email so that I can look into it?

Your objective should be achievable by creating album sets within a single top-level gallery.  e.g. with a top-level gallery called 'clients' you could have:

clients/client-one-album-set/ [set as hidden from parent album set]
clients/client-one-album-set/album-one
clients/client-one-album-set/album-two
clients/client-two-album-set/ [set as hidden from parent album set]
clients/client-two-album-set/album-one
clients/client-two-album-set/album-two

Neither client will be able to see each-other's album set when browsing to /clients/

Then use access codes on the two album sets as needed to allow or block access to the respective clients.

#19 2020-05-09 11:38:56

sol
Website

Hey Ben,
I just set up, two sub-gallery sets, with two non-active gallery pages for each, for visual representation.
https://solarviewstudios.art/galleries
So there is one working actual gallery, and two new fake Gallery Sets, with sub galleries, as you described
I checked the ‘Hide Gallery Set’ for each of the Gallery Sets, as per your suggestion. I now see Gallery Sets with an ‘eye/hide’ icon.
But...
A.) I still see both Gallery Sets there. So I see three galleries total on the ‘Galleries’ landing page. What I wanted was, when hidden, for the Gallery Sets to not be seen at all. So client ‘Harrington’, would only see that first gallery, not the other two Gallery Sets. They would not be available to Client one at all, even as a thumb-selection, as they are now.
B.) The Gallery Sets also still allow access, in spite of the ‘hide’ icon. I assume because I haven’t applied an actual pass code yet. But if that’s the case, shouldn’t the ‘hide’ icon be hidden until the pass code is applied?

Anyways, on the other links I had you looking at, I deleted them all today. Got frustrated with BL2. So figured out a (somewhat cumbersome) work-around in LR. Not giving up on BL2 yet. ...Not convinced it can’t do what I want it to do. :-)
-Sol

Last edited by sol (2020-05-09 11:42:11)

#20 2020-05-09 12:21:46

rod barbee
Website

when you are logged into Backlight you can see hidden albums and sets. your visitors cannot.
The eye icon is telling you they’re hidden.
also, when you are logged into Backlight you have access to all albums regardless.

try visiting the site in a different browser of log out of Backlight and try in the same browser.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#21 2020-05-09 23:47:44

sol
Website

LOL! OK, thanks, Rod.
Yeah, I opened up the page this morning, and I had been automatically logged out overnight, and to your point, I could only see the one page. I entered the direct url and I could then see the other two temp pages.
Thanks, man.

#22 2020-05-09 23:48:56

rod barbee
Website

smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#23 2020-05-10 01:20:22

sol
Website

Ben wrote:

Hi Sol, perhaps something has gone awry with the different changes you made with FTP interfering with the Backlight database.  Can you share FTP access and a Backlight admin login via Email so that I can look into it?

Your objective should be achievable by creating album sets within a single top-level gallery.  e.g. with a top-level gallery called 'clients' you could have:

clients/client-one-album-set/ [set as hidden from parent album set]
clients/client-one-album-set/album-one
clients/client-one-album-set/album-two
clients/client-two-album-set/ [set as hidden from parent album set]
clients/client-two-album-set/album-one
clients/client-two-album-set/album-two

Neither client will be able to see each-other's album set when browsing to /clients/

Then use access codes on the two album sets as needed to allow or block access to the respective clients.

Thanks, Ben.
Had initial confusion based on me being signed in, as noted by Rod. But your suggestions should get me what I want for viewing purposes.
Still never mastered the 'change the 'Top Gallery' naming issue, but I can work around it.
Thanks for your help.
- Sol

Board footer