Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-07 19:39:17

richam
Website

iframe or img error problems solved in BL3?

In BL2, I had difficulty implementing iframe and img tags via Lightroom plugin, and resorted to using PHP:

http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … p?id=10862

I tested an album in BL3 by inserting sample img and iframe elements in the Main Copy section of the Page Content within the Lightroom plugin.  The test samples worked fine. Can we assume that the original problem within BL2 has been solved?

#2 2020-05-08 02:48:15

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: iframe or img error problems solved in BL3?

Having to use an iframe is most often symptomatic of doing something you shouldn't be doing, or doing something that might be achieved in a better way. Valid use cases for iframes are few and far between.

We have never advised using iframes (except maybe with the Pym support in Theater, but that's really an odd duck), and still consider it to be generally bad practice. We have not made any changes in Backlight 3 to improve the iframe experience, as there's really nothing for us to do in that regard. Most problems you would have with iframes are inherent to iframes, are often intentional limitations due to security concerns that the browser is attempting to protect you against, and there's nothing we can code to change that.

Otherwise, I'm not entire sure the specific "problem(s)" you're referring to.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2020-05-09 01:31:48

richam
Website

Matthew wrote:

Otherwise, I'm not entire sure the specific "problem(s)" you're referring to.

This was discussed extensively in BL2 support, but I'll recap:
I want to embed Google Maps, multiple YouTube and Vimeo Videos, Links, and Images in Pallet 01.
I can implement the various iframe commands via Backlight 2 or 3 directly in a browser -- no problem.
I can implement the various iframe commands n Backlight 2 or 3 using PHP -- no problem.
But in Backlight 2, I got an error every time I tried to implement the commands via the Lightroom PlugIn, which is why I ended up implementing by PHP.

I tested Backlight 3, and found out it's now possible to implement the commands via the Lightroom PlugIn by inserting in the "Pallet 1 Copy" field and publishing.  This would have previously produced an error.  The reasons were never completely sorted out before, but the problem seems to vanish in BL3.  We may have had a Blue Host problem solved with an upgrade unrelated to BL3, I don't know.

I duplicated an album to test it out.  Here are both versions:

Original using PHP

http://michaelrichardsphotography.com/g … mausoleum/

Test album using commands in "Pallet 1 Copy" and published with Lightroom PlugIn

http://michaelrichardsphotography.com/g … leum-test/

I would like to know if anyone has any information on what happened, either in BL3, Blue Host, or whatever the source problem was.  I'd like to implement via Lightroom PlugIn all through the site, but hesitate unless I'm confident it will be stable.

Any light that could be shed on this would be appreciated.

#4 2020-05-09 06:10:06

Ben

Nothing of consequence has changed in LR publisher between BL2 and BL3.

#5 2020-05-10 17:12:19

richam
Website

Ben wrote:

Nothing of consequence has changed in LR publisher between BL2 and BL3.

I re-installed a previous version of the LR plugIn (3.2.1), and it worked ok with BL3.  So indeed nothing consequential happened with the LR plugIn, as you say.  It appears the problem was either somewhere within BL2 itself or Blue Host somewhere.

The new BL3 and associated plugIn (4.0.10) are working fine and stable so far, so I'll drop the issue unless you want to pursue it further.

#6 2020-05-10 17:19:19

Ben

Hi Mike, we can let this one drop if you think it's working correctly.  The current version of LR Publisher is 5.0.1.  Please update it.  While the change from 4.* to 5.0.1 is not consequential from a functionality point of view, you need to use 5.0.1 in order to have the right fields presented in album editing.  4.* checks for Backlight 2 on the server whereas 5.* checks for either Backlight 2 or Backlight 3 in order to present the right fields.

#7 2020-05-10 18:12:48

richam
Website

Upgraded to 5.0.1 plugIn.  Forgot how to access and download via BL3 modules.  Much easier, thanks.  Everything working ok.

Now need to update all the albums with Pallet 01 text and replace 250 lines of PHP...

Board footer