Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-03 21:35:42

kmlucy
Website

Problems with reCAPTCHA V3

Hi all,

I swapped my contact form over to reCAPTCHA V3 and am having some issues with it. When I test it, everything seems to be working, and I get notes similar to this:

spam check passed with reCAPTCHA score: 0.9, ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

But I have a legitimate contact that went to spam with these notes:

spam check failed with reCAPTCHA response: { "success": false, "error-codes": [ "timeout-or-duplicate" ] }, ip=xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx

And all the spam contacts have notes like this:

g-recaptcha-response was empty, ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle Lucy Photography
kylelucy.com

#2 2020-05-03 21:59:01

Ben

Re: Problems with reCAPTCHA V3

Hi Kyle, the reCAPTCHA mechanism has a timeout of two minutes. If a user opens the form and takes longer than that to submit it then they’ll fall into that bucket. The empty response means the user (or bot) made an automated submission that did not interact with the reCAPTCHA mechanism.

We provide a facility to review spam messages so that you won’t miss legitimate messages that get caught out. It’s a learning process for you as a site owner and us as developers. The recommended value of 0.7 is based on real world examples of tens of thousands of visitors on a site I manage.

If for example we get consistent feedback that legitimate messages are getting flagged as timed out then we can look at working  around the timeout or providing an option to promote those messages as not being spam. The two minute timeout is a limit imposed by Google. The workaround is to reinitialise the mechanism closer to the time the user will click submit. I don’t know if that would work if a user completed the form and waited two minutes before hitting submit.

#3 2020-05-03 22:23:15

kmlucy
Website

Thanks for the quick reply Ben. I'm probably going to switch back to v2 in that case. Realistically, I'm not going to regularly check Backlight for legitimate messages classified as spam. Once everything is setup, I'd like it to be set and forget. I'd rather have the occasional spam message slip through than the occasional legitimate message get caught. Or with using v2, have my users be slightly inconvenienced rather that I miss their messages entirely.

I think it's entirely likely that some messages take longer than two minutes to type out, and I don't want to miss those.

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle Lucy Photography
kylelucy.com

#4 2020-05-03 22:26:37

Ben

As above, the two minute limit may not be a problem in the longer term.

#5 2020-05-10 06:28:59

Markus
Website

Hi,

i also have problems setting up reCAPTCHA 3.

I have entered the Site Key and the Secret Key in the Backlight Settings.
Then I set the option to "v3 enabled" in the Contact Forms.

But it is not implemented correctly. I haven't found the error yet and checked the settings several times.

On the test page https://bl3.mc-photografie.de/contact/ the icon is shown in the lower right corner, but nothing more.

And at https://www.mc-photografie.de/contact/ the icon is also shown in the lower right corner, but at least it folds out.
A field you have to click on to set a green check mark and thus the contact form will be sent, doesn't show up.

I guess I can influence the position and the appearance with CSS.
But how do I get the function of reCaptcha set up?

How do I do that?

Greetings, Markus

#6 2020-05-10 06:34:01

Ben

Hi Markus, v3 does not present the user with the “I’m not a robot” field. It determines whether the user is a robot by other means. If you do want that field then set up v2 instead.

We’ll be looking at an alternative to the small icon (a label and link to terms instead), but for now that icon needs to be there as part of the service agreement with Google. It’s added automatically.

#7 2020-05-11 00:00:38

Markus
Website

Hi Ben,

apparently, I was wrong. In the meantime I have seen that the other one is the 2 version of reCaptcha.

Then everything seems to work correctly and the reCaptcha icon only appears on the contact page.

Now the reCaptcha icon disappears - just like the one of Cookie Content Management - behind the page when it is resized below 1.280px.

How can I get it one level higher than the page so that these icons remain visible to the user?

Markus

Board footer