Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-07 10:49:59

sobelm

Trouble with Galleria page length and fitting photos

This is the page:

http://noticeofproposedlanduseaction.or … struction/

It's a pangolin galleria album in BL2.  The page is very long from top to bottom, yet the bottom half is more or less empty (you have to scroll way down to see the misplaced copy that should be at the top).  Furthermore, the photo is framed too large to fit on one screen, making the viewer scroll up and down.  I'd like the photo is fit on the screen, but I can't seem to find the menus to control this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael

#2 2020-04-07 11:21:22

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Trouble with Galleria page length and fitting photos

Looks to me like you need to adjust the aspect ratio in your Galleria template.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2020-04-08 07:34:09

sobelm

Thank you Matt - I've figured out that the aspect ratio adjusts the length of the page.  But even when I adjust the aspect ratio, the photos in the gallery remain bigger than the screen and are cut off at top or bottom.  Where do I control the size of the images?  In which template type, under which option?  I've really tried everything, including resizing the images in lightroom before publishing.

I'm committed to Backlight, and am hoping to upgrade to BL 3, as soon as I can get everything looking the way I want it in BL 2.

Michael

#4 2020-04-08 08:48:16

rod barbee
Website

can you post a link to an album?

you can control the size of the images in the album template under Image Renditions. After making the change and saving the template, you'll need to republish the images from Lightroom.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2020-04-08 09:24:28

sobelm

Thanks Rod,
I've shrunk the image renditions in the album template, then emptied the cache, and republished from LR with the metadata box unchecked. 

No change in the image sizes, which still spill off the page. 

I'm happy with the rest of the design, but for the life of me, I can't find an adjustment that makes the photo smaller on the page. 

http://www.noticeofproposedlanduseactio … struction/

Michael

#6 2020-04-08 09:33:19

rod barbee
Website

how small do you want them to be? I don't see anything spilling off the page in either Firefox or Chrome.

Have you looked in other browsers? Cleared browser cache?

One thing I noticed was that some of your filenames have periods in them. I suggest removing those, the only period should be the one before jpg: your-file-name.jpg.
The extra period could be messing with things. File and folder names on the web should consist of only letters, numbers, underscores, and dashes.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2020-04-08 12:52:37

tgalex
Website

Rod - I see the image cutoff on my ipad using safari.  When I orient the ipad landscape the image bottom is cut off.  When I turn the ipad to portrait orientation the full image shows.  I’ve seen this before with some of my images and while the bottom does not get cut off on mine, I do have to scroll to see the entire image.  Reducing the header size was the only way I was able to solve my issue.  I did try reducing the image renditions which worked on the ipad but then the images were too small on a large monitor.

#8 2020-04-08 14:04:29

rod barbee
Website

There’s also something strange about the caption, it’s to the left of the images rather than below.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2020-04-09 13:28:29

sobelm

All of these suggestions have been VERY helpful.  Thank you! 

I've got it close to what I want, with one last issue.  If you look at this gallery on a desktop monitor:

http://www.noticeofproposedlanduseactio … struction/

The photo sits at the bottom of the page, with lots of room at top.  I could potentially make the image larger if I could somehow move it up to occupy some of the white space between the title and the image.

Suggestions?

#10 2020-04-09 23:15:41

rod barbee
Website

what aspect ratio are you using? It looks like it might still be set to be taller than it is wide.
try something like 2:1 or 3:2. To reduce the height, always set X to be larger than Y.

I'm still wondering why your caption is not below the images where it should be.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2020-04-09 23:47:50

rod barbee
Website

I've been able to duplicate this problem in my own test site.
At first, things were working as expected: I could change the aspect ratio and the size of the slide show would change. And there was no extra space at the top and the caption was below the image where it belongs.

Then I added text to the album, just a heading. And that's when things went to hell.

The slideshow's aspect ratio seemed to change and the caption text appeared in the middle of the image.

And I couldn't get it back to where it was working. I tried clearing template cache and browser cache.

What I finally did was to create a new Galleria album template, using the same settings, and assign it to the album. That has fixed the problem. I was also able to add heading text to the album.
I wish I could tell you why it happened in the first place, but I have no clue.

So try creating a new Galleria album template and assigning it to the album.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2020-04-10 07:30:14

sobelm

So, tried what you suggested, Rod... here's what I've done.

1.  Made all the jpgs the same size (1000px longest dimension) except for one test image that's much larger. No extraneous periods in the filenames.  "Caption" put in the caption metadata. 
2.  Created a new pangolin galleria album template, set the ratio to 3:1 x:y, set the image size to maximum (2048px).
3.  Cleared cache, republished from LR, updated albums.

Viewed on the desktop:

http://noticeofproposedlanduseaction.or … struction/

A.  The images are not as large as the screen space should allow.  In fact, no matter how I change the image size (image rendition, photo width/height in template) the size of the images on the screen doesn't change.  Even after clearing the cache and republishing again.

B.  The "caption" appears to the left of the image.  On mobile android, the caption is superimposed on the left side of the image.

I'm honestly at my wits end, after spending more than 2 full days trying to get it right.  Maybe someone would like to look inside the admin side of the site?  Or should I trash the whole site and start fresh?

Thanks
Michael

#13 2020-04-10 07:48:51

rod barbee
Website

Until today, I've never had a problem with Galleria.
You probably don't need to set the image size that big, but I don't know that it makes a difference. The images are being scaled to the space available.

I'll take a look at it if you want. You can email me Backlight admin credentials using the email link to the left of this post.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2020-04-11 00:40:25

sobelm

Thanks, done.

Let me know what you find!

Stay safe and well.

Michael

Board footer