Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-06 19:31:12

Kubicixfactor

Masthead width

My website is getting a bit of attention today (more like fiddling to be honest because I've now run out of paid work to do).

I'm getting a bit lost with trying to get my masthead to go across the entire width of the screen (on an iMac).

The masthead graphic dimensions are 1920px x 190px
The template layout max width is set at at 1150px so of course it clips the masthead and there's white space either side of it. If I increase the max width to 1920px then the masthead graphic fills the screen width, but the embedded galleria slide show is now too large, so there's a lot of wasted space.

So the question is, can I do anything to JUST make the masthead extend across the width of the screen without changing anything else? If this needs to be done with custom CSS, if anyone could give me some pointers re what to look at then that would be really helpful.

Steve

#2 2020-04-06 23:00:23

rod barbee
Website

Re: Masthead width

in your page template, under Layout, try setting the max-width to it's maximum.

Under Content Areas, set the max-width to something reasonable, like 1140px or 1280px. That should tame the size of the slide show.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2020-04-07 02:10:18

Kubicixfactor

Thanks Rod,

So I've set the layout to max width and Content Area to 1150. There's no change to the size of the galleria album so it's still extended to the width of the screen (the same as the masthead). The text in the content area is reflecting the 1150px width though.

Is there anything I need to change in the galleria template? I can't see anything there that would reduce the width.

Steve

#4 2020-04-07 02:55:59

rod barbee
Website

Did you try clearing template and browser cache?
Can you post a link?

You might try looking at the “Target” setting in the Galleria template

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2020-04-07 03:04:15

Kubicixfactor

Hi Rod,

link here: https://www.adecentexposure.co.uk

Tried changing the Galleria template Target setting, that tames it a bit but all the page copy disappears! I've left the site set to:
Layout>Max Width=2560
Content Area>Main Copy>Max Width=1540

Steve

#6 2020-04-07 03:25:46

JimR
Website

Steve,

I find there is 24px of padding added to the left and right of your masthead. Is that what you're trying to remove?

Check the masthead's left/right padding in Backlight. I bet you have it set to 24, and you want 0.

--Jim

#7 2020-04-07 03:30:41

rod barbee
Website

it's looking good to me. I can see your page copy. The slideshow staging area takes up the width of my monitor.
With a copy width of 1540px, the copy spans the width of my monitor as well.

I thought any inserted album should be contained by the content width. But in a test I just ran, I see it's being contained by the page width.
I don't remember that being the case before so it could be a bug. Or I could be imagining things.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2020-04-07 03:40:46

Kubicixfactor

Thanks Rod & Jim!

Wondering if a bug has crept in because I didn’t remember seeing this when I was initially setting the site up, but perhaps it’s always been like that?  I was hoping that the album would be constrained to match the copy width, but overall I like the look better than having the masthead constrained, so I’ll stick with it and republish the gallery images to remove the border.

Jim, thanks for the point re the left and right padding, I was just about to see what was causing that gap!

On an iPad /iPhone it looks fine. Thanks again for taking a look.
Steve

#9 2020-04-07 03:43:06

rod barbee
Website

Actually, I think the behavior is correct. I think, since there is no max-width control in the Galleria add-on, that the area of any galleria slideshow will take up the width of the page.
That doesn't mean that the images will though, that's determined by the image rendition size.
So you could try choosing a white background for the Galleria slide show and then disable all slideshow controls.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2020-04-07 03:58:01

Kubicixfactor

That's a good idea! Thanks Rod, I'll give that a go now and see what it looks like.

Steve

Board footer