Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-15 12:05:22

kolohe280

Error in Lightroom Publisher

First off, I'm current on everything smile

I am in the process of implementing the metadata display code (or my variant of it) that Daniel Leu published.  I updated my CSS and PHPlugins files and everything worked fine on my test album.

When I attempted to update the rest of the albums (500+, 47,000+ images), I ran into a problem.  In the past when I've changed or added large numbers of photos, I've been able to click on Publish from the Album Set level, and the publisher steps through all the included albums and sets.  When I set the option to only update metadata and tried to do that, it updated the first album and when starting on the second album displayed this error:

An internal error has occurred:  TTGPublishServiceProvider:792 attempt to concatenate local 'minimizeEmbeddedMetadata' (A boolean value).

Help!

Paul

#2 2019-12-15 19:42:21

richam
Website

Re: Error in Lightroom Publisher

FWIW, I ran into the same problem.  I'm revamping my site (10,000+ images) with new thumbnail sizes, panorama displays, other upgrades.  I finally resorted to republishing albums first, then working up to the album sets levels.  I ran into the same error message that you're getting and sometimes "stack overflow."  I found I could republish maybe 4-5 albums at a time by selecting them individually and "Publish Now", but any more than that ended up with an error.

#3 2019-12-15 21:50:31

Ben

These are two distinct issues. 

The minimise metadata issue is caused by our code trying to print a value that's invalid.  I have never seen this happen, and can only surmise  that this is triggered by publishing multiple albums, under certain values for metadata.  I'll put in a fix for this.

The stack overflow error is caused by what looks to be a bug in LR when it attempts to publish multiple albums in parallel.  This should only happen if you start publishing to one album while another publish is in process.  This should not happen if you trigger a single publish action by instructing LR to publish all albums in an album set.  In that case, LR will publish to each album one by one.

#4 2019-12-16 02:41:15

richam
Website

Ben wrote:

These are two distinct issues. 

The minimise metadata issue is caused by our code trying to print a value that's invalid.  I have never seen this happen, and can only surmise  that this is triggered by publishing multiple albums, under certain values for metadata.  I'll put in a fix for this.

The stack overflow error is caused by what looks to be a bug in LR when it attempts to publish multiple albums in parallel.  This should only happen if you start publishing to one album while another publish is in process.  This should not happen if you trigger a single publish action by instructing LR to publish all albums in an album set.  In that case, LR will publish to each album one by one.

Ben,  I'll try to summarize what I've been experiencing in hopes it will help.

I get the minimize metadata error whenever I try to publish any content text that has an iframe or onclick statement in it.  It's possible to implement iframe or onclick by by-passing LR publisher and using Backlight publisher in a browser.  But when this is done, it's no longer possible to run updates from within LR publisher until the offending text is removed to be re-installed later.  (It took a little work, but Rod and Daniel helped me with a php workaround that allows LR publisher to operate normally).  I still don't know if anyone else has the iframe or onclick problem.  I use Mac Catalina, LR classic, and LR publisher plug-in, all updated to the latest versions.  I also tested this on an older Mac with High Sierra OSX, with identical results.

If I try to publish several albums at the same time, it's possible with a few albums.  More than 4-5 albums at a time, and it likely will produce a metadata or stack overflow error.  If I try to publish from the album set level, and there are actual photos or thumbnails to upgrade, then it hangs on a metadata error, usually when it tries to switch albums after a reasonably successful update of the first album.  I say reasonably since often it fails to upgrade a page or two of the first album before hanging on the error.  So, damned if I do, damned if I don't.  The only way is to publish albums individually or a few at a time, and then checking and re-publishing any that missed a page or two.  After all the albums are fully re-published, then I can push things like multiple metadata updates to albums by re-publishing the parent album set.

I haven't done extensive upgrading for perhaps a year or so, but I remember that previous versions of LR and the plug-in did not produce the publish from album sets problem.

I have workarounds for all these problems, so not complaining.  But it seems like these are bugs that are worth fixing for the convenience of everyone.  Appreciate your effort on this.

#5 2019-12-16 02:51:19

kolohe280

Mike -

It's been my experience that multiple concurrent publish tasks has never worked right.  It would run without error, but I found that often times there would be missing metadata.  That would show up as photos without titles in the album grid or photos out of order because the timestamp didn't make it into the database.  Once I found that I could publish an album set, I gave up on the concurrent publish tasks.

Anyway, I'm sure Ben will come up with fixed 'cause, well, he always does if it's at all possible!

Paul

Last edited by kolohe280 (2019-12-16 02:53:10)

#6 2019-12-16 07:00:22

Matthew
Administrator
Website

richam wrote:

I haven't done extensive upgrading for perhaps a year or so, but I remember that previous versions of LR and the plug-in did not produce the publish from album sets problem.

Not saying it's the case here -- though it very well could be -- but just pointing out that Adobe has made a bad habit of breaking its own APIs for third-party extensions. We've had constant problems with Lightroom's Publish Services and Web module, wherein a thing works perfectly, then mysteriously breaks at a later time due to undocumented changes in Lightroom. Adobe rarely acknowledges or responds to these issues, which is one of the major reasons I've ejected from Lightroom's prerelease program, and we've worked to liberate Backlight from full dependency on Adobe software.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2019-12-16 07:26:33

Ben

1) 'minimizeEmbeddedMetadata' error - I have a fix for this, which will go through the normal updates. 

2) Concurrent error.  No fix likely.  This is a low-level issue with how LR executes code. 

3) Code within Copy fields.  I'll look into it, in case there's something that can be improved in terms of escaping special characters.  However, that's looking unlikely since the code works for some and not for others.

#8 2019-12-17 04:50:39

JimR
Website

Paul wrote:

multiple concurrent publish tasks has never worked right

100% true. I've never seen it work if I try to publish more than one album at a time. Worse, when it fails I've gotten LR and the server out of sync, causing a newer and bigger problem.

So my superstition is to never attempt to publish more than one album at a time. Click on one, and only one. Publish. Then wait until it's complete before publishing another.

I have had good luck publishing an album set containing dozens of albums. Seems that LR will only publish one at a time. Still, I've had some failures even doing this.

I mostly find these types of problems when I do a massive update to my site. So it's only a pain in those rare occurrences.

Blame Adobe for this.

--Jim

#9 2019-12-29 07:20:46

Ben

I'm on the verge of deploying the 'minimizeEmbeddedMetadata' fix, but have run into a problem with my own Lightroom setup -- it seems that LR isn't able (or willing) to log to the ttg.log file in the Documents directory under MacOS Catalina.  Once I get this working again I'll verify the fix doesn't break anything and deploy it.

#10 2019-12-29 07:36:56

Ben

Logging problem solved - the latest LR puts log files in a subdirectory of Documents called LrClassicLogs.

I've deployed an update that should address the minimizeEmbeddedMetadata issue.  I haven't been able to replicate the problem but can see where it was being caused.  Please download the the latest LR Publisher, version 4.0.10 from https://get.theturninggate.net/install/ … r/release/ and update it on your desktop.

Can you let me know if this solves it?

#11 2019-12-29 10:28:09

kolohe280

Sorry to say it didn't fix it for me.

Paul

#12 2019-12-29 11:09:39

Ben

Hi Paul, sorry but I bungled the deployment (it's been a while between updates).  Can you please download and update the LR Publisher again?

#13 2019-12-29 13:42:37

kolohe280

Hi, Ben,

I ran a couple of tests and everything looks good!

Thanks,

Paul

#14 2019-12-29 20:47:12

Ben

Hi Paul, that's great to hear.  Thanks for confirming!

#15 2019-12-31 17:55:17

richam
Website

Pat on the back for Ben and Matthew for the 4.0.10 plugin.  Works OK now.

Board footer