Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-01 11:15:26

rsamco
Website

BL Album restoration from Lr backup failed

I accidentally overwrote the Page Copy of a published album, so I tried restoring that album from a backup Lr catalog made before my mistake (e.g., per http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _backlight). That is, I temporarily opened the backup catalog in Lr, and intended to either publish that one album or edit that album within Lr & copy the Page Copy field's contents. But when I edit'd that album using a backup Lr catalog, the Page Copy field contained the new, erroneous contents! So looks to me like this data is (effectively) only stored on the server!!! [BTW, I tried to restore from a total of 3 Lr backups and they all failed to display/restore the Page Copy that existed at the time of that backup.]

Fortunately I found a BL publisher data log file on the server from the day that that album was last correctly published. So I was able to copy the album's Page Copy from there and paste/overwrite the recent erroneous version. I was very lucky that the log file still existed since I periodically purge them (I never imagined that I'd need them for backup)!

Hopefully this is some error on my part, otherwise this is a very scary & untenable situation for me -- I assume that all Lr data (including BL's) can be restored using only Lr/client-side backups.

Rick

#2 2019-07-01 14:18:28

rod barbee
Website

Re: BL Album restoration from Lr backup failed

Ben will have to confirm, but since Backlight is no longer dependent on Lightroom for creating albums, I believe that the most up to date data, which includes album copy, is stored in the Backlight database on the server. In fact, if you use Lightroom to create your albums and then make a change to album copy in Backlight, that change is reflected in Lightroom.

The best practice is to regularly back up the /backlight/data/ folder.

Your host probably offers a backup service or you can simply download the folder to your computer.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-07-02 01:11:04

rsamco
Website

Thanks, Rod. But this is different than what's stated in http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … _backlight and is a HUGE change that I haven't seen pointed out anywhere. Of course, this (unintended?) consequence of BL's recent separation from Lr seems obvious to me in hindsight now, but I hadn't thought about it and was therefore unknowingly living with an incomplete backup strategy. Thankfully I stumbled on it before I had a catastrophic, unrecoverable situation! IMO this change needs to be prominently announced/shared with all BL users!!

And server-side backups, at least on ttg-recommended Bluehost, are very poorly supported. I guess that I'll have to investigate automated, client-side, ftp apps :-( BTW, the BL /backlight/data folder can be pretty big (mine is 0.5GB) so a daily ftp download backup should probably be differential for some folks in order to avoid eating up ISP data budget.

Rick

#4 2019-07-02 01:27:22

rod barbee
Website

Hey Rick,

You're right. That document may need to be updated for Backlight 2 (actually, a Backlight 2 version of it may need to be created for the Backlight 2 section of the documents).
For the most part, the document is still valid; backing up backlight/data/ and backlight/custom/ should do the job I would think.

(I've been downloading the data/ folder on my sites, and it sure does take awhile)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2019-07-04 11:11:41

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Yes, sorry. That page is very Backlight 1 centric.

I've updated the title, which will hopefully prevent future confusion. And stubbed out a page for a Backlight 2 version, which we'll need to write at some point. I'll need to consult with Ben on best practices for backing up images and such when using the built-in publisher.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer