Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-22 02:38:18

Nico3939
Website

Photo stock with Backlight 2 - Cart module

Finally, after weeks of development, php and CSS coding .... my photobank is online!

I would first like to thank the developers, Ben and Matthiew for their availability, and their advice, but also the moderators of this forum, Rod Barbee and Daniel Leu for their support and their valuable advice that helped me develop, especially at the PHP coding level (I am a real beginner and did not know anything about it a few weeks ago).

Thank you for everything!

I had in mind to use Backlight to set up a photo library of my images. Just using Backlight, without wordpress.
I would keep it clean and simple.

My requirements were:
-A single album
-a simple search system
-a search system by category
-Several print format
-Several possiblity to purchase licenses depending on use (standard and extended) as well as the duration of operation
-Multiple file size (Web, print, and full HD)
-A system of payment by paypal (ok easy, proposed by default!)
- A deferred payment system with choice (check, bank transfer, mandate for administrations and request for quote) thank you Daniel Leu!
-The ability to download the watermarked low definition image
-the possibility to display the total number of images
-The ability to display the number of photos according to the search criteria
-A multilingual site (French and English)
-Make the album the homepage (a .htaccess redirect)
-Propose  pricing scheme adapted to each image format (standard color, standard black and white, color pan and black and white pan)
-Indicate mentions (mandatory or not) to different places in the cart module on the order confirmation page
- A personalized footer (thank you Daniel Leu)
- Custom messages in the following search module if photos are found or not or if there are search criteria.
-A Scroll to top
-A customizable lightbox and captions that adapt to the metadata present or not
-A maintenance mode based on the .htaccess file

and many customization. Backlight is a great tool for photographers and after a grip, it's something really effective and well built.

On the side of things to improve or that I did not manage to do:

-Making Cart module in Multilig (English and French), when I choose the Backlight cart language cart does not change language.
-To appear a small information icon on each thumbnail to display a popup of metadata, legends etc ...
-Propose a decreasing price according to the number of ordered photo in the basket

And some pages to translate, but really time consuming

That's it, my site is online at this address:

https://phototheque.nicolaslogerot.com

Thank you
Nico

Last edited by Nico3939 (2019-06-22 06:52:08)

#2 2019-06-22 03:02:00

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Photo stock with Backlight 2 - Cart module

This looks great! Nice job, Nico!

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2019-06-22 03:17:04

rod barbee
Website

wonderful! Really like the layout and the hover affects on the image thumbnails. Great job.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2019-06-22 03:17:32

Nico3939
Website

Daniel Leu wrote:

This looks great! Nice job, Nico!

thank you Daniel, but it's partly thanks to you!

#5 2019-06-22 03:18:32

Nico3939
Website

rod barbee wrote:

wonderful! Really like the layout and the hover affects on the image thumbnails. Great job.

Thank very much Rod, you also brought me a lot !

#6 2019-06-22 03:26:35

Nico3939
Website

Rod, for the hover effect on thumbnails, Mathew give me the solution, see this post:

http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=9827

#7 2019-07-04 21:57:57

chumby

That is really well done, Nico.

I am getting started now on creating a stock image site.  looks like I have a lot of learning ahead of me!

Why did you go for a single album?  Was that to get all your photos listed on your homepage?

Cheers,
Chumby

Last edited by chumby (2019-07-04 21:58:08)

#8 2019-07-04 22:42:49

Nico3939
Website

Thank you so much chumby,

First of all, my first image bank with Backlight v1 was composed of several albums (1 per category). Everything was managed and separated in lightroom as smart albums in an album collection.

It was very well done, but by force it was very heavy to manage (at the level of the keywords, it was necessary to be rigorous so that each photo goes in the good albums ...) then Lightroom was very very slow to manage a lot of Smart Album (in an album collection, a horror, it grinded without stopping), and I had to browse the different albums, check the presence of the photos and update them (moreover a photo could be found in several categories, for example a lake could be in the category "lake" and "landscape" etc ...). So with the move to the v2, I decided to completely review but how to manage the photo library.

It turns out that lightroom manages very well and without slowing down a smart album of more than 3000 photos, rather than a collection composed of several smart album.

After reflection and put everything on the table with a plan on paper, indeed, all the images are in the same album at the source, like this, visitors can automatically see the latest added photos, then wander through the photo library. Categories are managed directly on the server. In fact, they are just search results.
If the visitor is looking for a specific photo, there is the search module.

Moreover, if I want to change the categories, it's very simple, everything is done online and I do not need to update the albums in lightroom.

So, thank you for your compliments and I hope I have been pretty explicitly clear! lol
Nico

Last edited by Nico3939 (2019-07-04 22:45:50)

#9 2019-07-06 08:47:15

chumby

Thank you , NIco.

Yes that does make sense.  Good work!

So to get the search working effectively, do you have the categories listed as part of the image file names or in the metadata somewhere and the search picks it up from there?

Just reading your post below to get an album listed as part of your home page.  Does that .htaccess hack still work fine?
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=9903

So your structure is just one gallery and then one album set and one album?  Is that right?

Cheers,
Chumby

Board footer