Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-18 01:24:05

dsegar

Installing backlight 2 .htacces & index.php issue on existing site

I am trying to install Backlight 2 on a complex (10,000+ pages) web site partially driven by CE4.  Because I will nee to redesign my pages in Backlight 2 (which I expect to take several weeks or more) I need to install Backlight 2 on parallel with the existing site which already has complex .htaccess and index.php files that drive and control many other functions of my site.  I could try adding the contents of the Backlight files to my existing .htaccess and index.php but that may cause unexpected issues.  I could also, with some difficulty use a testing server for Backlight but I would still face the same issues of merging the Backlight index.php and .htaccess later.  Is there are work around that for this issue.  Ideally that would mean leaving my exiting files as is and finding an alternate way to provide any of the .htaccess and index.php files that is in the Backlight 2 install package using alternate file names.  I do not see spending time on Backlight page design unless I can be sure Backlight 2 can be integrated in my existing site without adversely affecting other functions and the eventual changeover MUST be smooth and fast since my web site supports an online textbook that is used by thousands of students worldwide so any downtime has to be limited.

I the documentation on Backlight 2 it states that Backlight can be used to drive an entire site OR to add to an existing.  However, I can find NO documentation as to exactly how how this can be done.

#2 2019-06-18 01:42:26

rod barbee
Website

Re: Installing backlight 2 .htacces & index.php issue on existing site

This depends on your current setup. Is it all based on CE4?

Backlight pages and CE4 pages can’t co-exist.

Backlight can be used with an existing site, like a WordPress based site. But you can’t use any pages created by Backlight (because of the index.php and .htaccess files needed).
You can use Backlight to create albums and album sets without using its page creating capability. You will likely have design differences between your existing pages and the Backlight albums and album sets though.

Your existing CE4 galleries/albums nan be migrated to Backlight control if you are currently using CE4 Publisher to create your albums and sets.

If you want it all under a Backlight, you could first develop the new site in a subdomain and then just replace your current site with the new.

More here about converting a CE4 site to Backlight: https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … backlight/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-06-18 07:35:48

Ben

Re: Installing backlight 2 .htacces & index.php issue on existing site

To have Backlight coexist with an existing site, only upload the backlight/ directory from the Installer zip file and nothing else.  Then create gallery directories as needed via FTP, and set those directory names in the Top-Level Gallery created through Backlight's Publisher.

Board footer