Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-30 12:19:37

sol
Website

Building and testing a new site design, questions...

Hi All.
So I have an existing, fully-functional website.
I have purchased Backlight 2, mainly to add the "Cart" Gallery option to my current site’s client galleries. I’m working through the details there, but I think it’s going to do the trick. Yay! :-)

So, the questions are this. I would like to gradually, as I get to know more about Backlight, transition my site design to a full Backlight-produce website. As I have installed Backlight as a sub-page within my site, what would be the best way to build a fully functioning site with Backlight, test it, and so on, in the background without it interfering with my main site’s home page, etc.?
Can I just essentially build a site within that Backlight root folder that I have already installed as a galleries location, and then when it’s ready, just move all the elements from within, out to the main folder for my site?
Is there any reason, for testing purposes, I can’t build the fully functioning site within that Backlight folder?

FYI, sorry if this is elementary web-design questions for you guys, but I essentially fake my web design abilities with Photoshop>psd-to-html app>Dreamweaver>website! :-)

Thanks for the feedback.
- Sol

#2 2019-03-30 13:19:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: Building and testing a new site design, questions...

Many people will install backlight in a subfolder or subdomain for development and then move it to their main site.
Here are some tips for that move: https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … tion-site/

But you won’t be creating your site in the backlight folder.
For example, if you create a subfolder named “test-site” install backlight in that folder and procede from there.
The folder structure will look like this:

test-site/
            backlight/
            galleries/
            index.php
            .htaccess

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-03-30 23:02:52

sol
Website

Thanks, Rod.

#4 2019-04-01 00:10:02

sol
Website

Hey Rod,
Ok, so I am working on a Cart Gallery page, as mentioned. Started off with a Default>clone.
I’m getting it where I want it, and now need it to function as an actual working page. As in, menus that go to existing pages on my site, etc.
So I created a Menu Set, with url-links to my existing site-linked pages. First, is this the right way to do this?
In reading through the documentation, it seems to be aimed at the process of fully operational Backlight-only site.
As I’m simply trying to add client galleries to my existing site, a lot of it doesn’t seem to apply yet.
But, for example, the Cart Gallery page I created doesn’t have a working menu set. I created a new Menu set with url-links. But I can’t get it to appear on my gallery page, only the non-working default menus show. Where do I direct the new Menu set? I did set it to "Yes" as the default.
I also tried creating a page from a clone, and I’m not allowed to view it in the browser. I assume because it’s in the Backlight folder.
Which brings the question, do I need to build the page in Backlight, and then move it out of Backlight to actually view it on my site?
Because the test Cart gallery that I created is viewable now, from within the Backlight folder. But it reads, my_domain/galleries/ss_test, as the url location.
So wondering why the new page I created is not viewable is this way.
Yes, still a bit confused. :-)

Last edited by sol (2019-04-01 00:16:46)

#5 2019-04-01 01:39:04

rod barbee
Website

Where do I direct the new Menu set? I did set it to "Yes" as the default.

You need to assign your new menu set to the Page Template that your album template is using. In the list of templates, click on Design for the page template you need to edit. The menu set drop-down is at the very top of the Design page.

I also tried creating a page from a clone, and I’m not allowed to view it in the browser. I assume because it’s in the Backlight folder.

No. If you’re using Backlight to create albums and album sets only, then you don’t need to worry about creating pages. In fact, you won’t be able to view any pages you create anyway because you’re not using the index.php and .htaccess files needed to create those pages.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-04-01 01:47:20

rod barbee
Website

Because the test Cart gallery that I created is viewable now, from within the Backlight folder. But it reads, my_domain/galleries/ss_test, as the url location.

Albums are not created within the backlight/ folder. They are inside a folder, usually named “galleries” - but can be named wherever you wan - that’s at the same server level as the backlight/ folder. That’s why you see the url that you do; your albums are being created inside a folder named “galleries,” which is in the root of your site and at the same server level as your backlight/folder.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-04-01 04:37:51

sol
Website

Ahh! I use Dreamweaver to load and maintain my site files. Usually, coordinating everything locally, then uploading them to my server. So I had looked at my local site folder and didn't see the "galleries" folder. Looking at the server side, it is of course there, as you've pointed out. Thanks!
smile

#8 2019-04-01 22:30:36

sol
Website

OK, so sorting thru the text copy locations.
How do you turn those guys on and off?
Seems as though it’s possible to have copy-text placed in the template, as well as the individual gallery-copy tabs.
I, for example entered text into all three locations in the three  Album template locations. But only one of them shows up. There isn’t a checkbox to activate those other two boxes. So how are they activated to appear?
I have text in the gallery-tabs too, and only one of those is appearing (at the top).
Thanks.

#9 2019-04-01 22:42:56

rod barbee
Website

The text in the pallet boxes (Tray 1, Tray 2) will only show up if you're using a two or three column layout in your page template.

In the Page Copy area of albums, there are options as to what to do with the existing template text that involves replacing it with album copy or placing the album copy either above or below the existing template text.
If you don't want any template text at all, just delete it in the template.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-04-01 22:59:46

sol
Website

Thanks, Rod.
Sorry, man. The terminology here is tweaking my brain a bit. hmm

As a reminder, I’m not using a "Page template" as in building a full site at this point. I’m just using albums for the client ordering access.
So which "Pallet/Tray" boxes are you referring? The Album Template or the individual gallery pages "copy" location.
I had put text in all three copy-box locations on both the Album template page, and the individual gallery page. What ends up showing up on my gallery, is the top box from each of those pages.
So what dictates what shows up there? Again, not seeing check boxes to activate any particular boxes on & off. I would assume if I entered text, they would automatically appear. But that’s not what’s happening.
Thanks.
- Sol

#11 2019-04-01 23:06:49

rod barbee
Website

As a reminder, I’m not using a "Page template"

Everything in Backlight uses a page template. Page templates control the design and look of everything in the site. In your case the look of your albums and album templates. Page templates are assigned to album templates and album set templates.

In the Design area of your album template, at the very top, is the name of the page template you're using for that album template.

The layout is controlled in the page template. If you have a two column layout, you'll have one pallet. If you have a two column layout, you'll have two pallets.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-04-01 23:45:53

sol
Website

OK, thanks for that input.

1. So, if I set the template to have certain text, that will hold its place as the "baseline" text for any page I create, with any page starting with that template.
Then if I, for instance, go to the individual gallery page, and add new text (page content) and then set the pull-down to "Replace template Page Copy" it then overrides the template dialog. Correct?

2. On the text columns. How do you activate these? I can see "Pallet 01 & 02 Copy (MD)" locations, but there are no pulldown option boxes there. And going through each of those tabs on the "page template", I don't see an option for setting that. Is that located elsewhere?

3. What is a "breadcrumb"? smile

#13 2019-04-01 23:58:39

rod barbee
Website

1. So, if I set the template to have certain text, that will hold its place as the "baseline" text for any page I create, with any page starting with that template.
Then if I, for instance, go to the individual gallery page, and add new text (page content) and then set the pull-down to "Replace template Page Copy" it then overrides the template dialog. Correct?

Correct. Copy entered in the album template or album set template is available in any albums or album sets created with that template.

2. On the text columns. How do you activate these? I can see "Pallet 01 & 02 Copy (MD)" locations, but there are no pulldown option boxes there. And going through each of those tabs on the "page template", I don't see an option for setting that. Is that located elsewhere?

Those drop-downs are in the album or album set in Lightroom, not in the templates (also if you edit the properties of an album in Backlight)

album-pallet-text-control.jpg

3. What is a "breadcrumb"?

navigation links that appear above the album so the visitor can jump back to the previous albums or sets.
For example, the links above the words "Olympic National Park" in this album: https://rodbarbee.com/galleries/1-lands … onal-park/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#14 2019-04-02 00:31:36

sol
Website

Thank you, Rod.
You really go way beyond the call of duty in this forum. Much appreciated!
You rock, dude!

- Sol

#15 2019-04-02 23:44:46

sol
Website

Hi Rod,
Question; Where is the gallery response wording located for a "Not for Sale" item? I've set up a couple of items for "Not for Sale" which thus prompts an auto-reply. It currently states:
"No products available for purchase. Please try again later, or contact the photographer is this problem persist."
I would like to alter this wording for my own uses.
TIA.

#16 2019-04-02 23:54:05

rod barbee
Website

If you've done it correctly, the not-for-sale item in an album using Mixed Pricing should simply have no cart icon attached to it. There is no gallery response.
Be sure you're using not-for-sale in the Category field of the images you do not want to sell and that the album template has Mixed Pricing enabled.
If you've added not-for-sale to the Category field after the album has been published, you'll need to republish those images.

see this album as an example: http://backlight-2-100.barbeephoto.com/ … cing-test/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2019-04-02 23:58:55

sol
Website

You nailed it. I had put "Not For Sale" in the category box, but didn't format it correctly.
Thanks, man.
- Sol

#18 2019-04-03 00:01:58

sol
Website

BTW, excellent imagers on your site there, dude! cool

#19 2019-04-03 00:40:19

rod barbee
Website

thanks! smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer