Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-08 04:48:15

DennisKeyes

Preparations for installing Backlight

Does "JustHost" qualify as standard web hosting and is it compatible with output from TTG plugins?

#2 2019-03-08 05:52:01

rod barbee
Website

Re: Preparations for installing Backlight

They probably do, but you should ask them if they support the requirements outlined at the bottom of this page
http://theturninggate.net/backlight-2/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-03-09 01:32:26

DennisKeyes

I have purchased Backlight 2.  My old site was an early TTG version.  i do not want to lose it while I update.  After having read the documentation and watching the video and receiving advice from Rod and Matt, I have gone to my existing site on my FTP client.  I added a new folder (Backlight 2 Setup) and am ready to upload the downloaded backlight files. I have configured my FTP to show hidden files.  My plan is to build a test site within this setup folder and eventually delete the old site.  Is this approach going to get me where I want to go?  Is there something I'm missing?  Is there a better way?  I don't want to upload without understanding the consequences.  I am a photographer, not a computer whiz.Thank you for your patience!

#4 2019-03-09 01:40:21

DennisKeyes

I would like to attach a screenshot of my FTP Client page showing my old website pages and the new folder, but that does not seem possible in this forum.

#5 2019-03-09 02:02:17

Daniel Leu
Website

Your approach makes sense. I wouldn't call it setup folder. It's more a test folder, but that's just semantics.

DennisKeyes wrote:

I would like to attach a screenshot of my FTP Client page showing my old website pages and the new folder, but that does not seem possible in this forum.

You have to put your image somewhere on your site, maybe in a temp directory, then link to it as follows

[img]http://mysite.com/temp/myimage.jpg[/img].

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#6 2019-03-09 02:33:47

rod barbee
Website

DennisKeyes wrote:

I have purchased Backlight 2.  My old site was an early TTG version.  i do not want to lose it while I update.  After having read the documentation and watching the video and receiving advice from Rod and Matt, I have gone to my existing site on my FTP client.  I added a new folder (Backlight 2 Setup) and am ready to upload the downloaded backlight files. I have configured my FTP to show hidden files.  My plan is to build a test site within this setup folder and eventually delete the old site.  Is this approach going to get me where I want to go?  Is there something I'm missing?  Is there a better way?  I don't want to upload without understanding the consequences.  I am a photographer, not a computer whiz.Thank you for your patience!

This is a good plan. Though make sure your test site folder name doesn't have any spaces.

I've got some tips that might help you out.

If your old site was using Publisher: https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … backlight/
Backlight has a utility for transferring control of albums and sets from CE4 Publisher to Backlight Publisher. If you're using CE3 Publisher, you can contact Matt to see if he can send you the CE4 version. Then you'd migrate CE3 to CE4 and then on to Backlight.

If your old TTG site is NOT using Publisher: https://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto … backlight/
this really applies to any site, not necessarily CE4

Last edited by rod barbee (2019-03-09 02:38:08)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-03-09 09:19:21

DennisKeyes

My old site did not use publisher.  I read the tips and trick you suggested several times yesterday and came to the conclusion that I am better off just starting over.  I would like to show a screenshot of my ftp client with the new folder but I am not capable (yet) of showing it in the forum or adding to my site somewhere.  It has been 7 years since I built my site.  I remember nothing of how I did it, and am totally foreign to this process.  I guess my question is:  If I created a new folder (backlight-2-test) on my old site, can I just drop the new backlight 2 files right in it and get to work?  And how will I be able to access and test it as I proceed?  Or, is there a better way?

#8 2019-03-09 09:33:46

Daniel Leu
Website

DennisKeyes wrote:

It has been 7 years since I built my site.  I remember nothing of how I did it, and am totally foreign to this process.  I guess my question is

The process is now very different and much easier. So no worries!

DennisKeyes wrote:

If I created a new folder (backlight-2-test) on my old site, can I just drop the new backlight 2 files right in it and get to work?  And how will I be able to access and test it as I proceed?  Or, is there a better way?

Yes, create a directory and install the files in there:

old files
  backlight-2-test/backlight
  backlight-2-test/index.php
  backlight-2-test/.htaccess

To start the main install, go to http://yoursite.com/backlight-2-test/backlight/install or the root of the new test site at http://yoursite.com/backlight-2-test once the site is alive.

Last edited by Daniel Leu (2019-03-09 09:35:09)

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#9 2019-03-09 09:46:17

rod barbee
Website

DennisKeyes wrote:

I would like to show a screenshot of my ftp client with the new folder but I am not capable (yet) of showing it in the forum or adding to my site somewhere.

You don't need to add it to your site. Using your FTP program, just create a folder on the server, name it whatever you want, something like "temp" or "screen-shots"

Then upload the screen shot to that folder. Daniel's already shown how to display it on the forum.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer