Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-21 04:31:48

scottfrey

Complete reinstall question

For various reasons due to my not cleaning old things out, my photo site is heavily compromised (best guess is an old unused Wordpress install that I had forgotten about). None of this has anything to do with Backlight.

Seems like the easiest answer is just just wipe out the whole thing and install fresh. I have around 100 galleries however

I've exported my templates, but I don't see any other backup restore functions.

So, if I start over, will I be able to just re-publish all my various albums that are in Lightroom? This seems the easiest and I presume the directory structure and page copy will be created from Lightroom as I publish.

I am screen-shorting all of the menus for reference, but a backup and restore would be handy. I don't see any way to do so.

Any other advice?

#2 2019-02-21 05:34:28

rod barbee
Website

Re: Complete reinstall question

If you want to start over but still keep your galleries intact, I'd consider treating it as an update install.
Keep your galleries/ folder, your backlight/data, and backlight/custom folders.

Get rid of everything else and reinstall Backlight.

The only backup you can do is either download everything to your computer or look into whatever backup service your host provides.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2019-02-21 06:06:00

scottfrey

Yeah, my galleries are polluted with a lot of compromised php files. Also a lot of leftover CE3 and CE4 files, so not really an option

#4 2019-02-21 06:11:21

scottfrey

Update;

It seems to be working albeit slowly. Every album gets three of the error:

Unable to perform action: getSetupForTemplate
Message: The album could not be found for id 81414.  Please edit this album and try again.

which each have to be dismissed. Then one must double-click on the album and click "edit" to save it. Then it will publish

My National Parks collection alone has 62 albums published, so this will take a while.

But it does seem to work properly. It will just take a lot of clicking

#5 2019-02-21 07:06:56

scottfrey

Well, that's not working

Where previously, the directory structure was:

Collections
   Parks
      ak
         Juneau  
   Trips
      Mtn Biking
         Mackenzie River
      Atlas Obscura 
      Eclipse April 

Now it is:

Collections
   Atlas Obscura 
   Eclipse April
   Juneau   
   Mackenzie River
   Mtn Biking
   Parks
     ak
   Trips
      Mtn Biking
         Mackenzie River

So it has lost some, but not all, hierarchy

This is clearly a Lightroom problem, just not sure how to fix it. No changes to the structure in Lightroom (the albums are in album sets)

Last edited by scottfrey (2019-02-21 07:18:04)

#6 2019-02-21 07:31:03

rod barbee
Website

With all the leftover CE files, unless albums were migrated from CE3 to CE4 and then on to Backlight, you might be stuck with completely republishing them.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2019-02-21 07:32:14

scottfrey

Another update, I have figured out how to make sure everything appears in the correct structure

Apparently Lightroom needs to see an actual change on the album. Like change the "number of items per page" (but seemingly NOT the slug name). Then it will publish the Album inside the album set.

I have 300+ albums to edit.. ugh

(I am putting all this out here in the hope that it helps someone else)

Last edited by scottfrey (2019-02-21 07:36:15)

#8 2019-02-21 07:35:45

scottfrey

With all the leftover CE files, unless albums were migrated from CE3 to CE4 and then on to Backlight, you might be stuck with completely republishing them.

That is actually what I am trying to do. They were migrated from CE3 to CE4 (back when CE4 came out) and then to Backlight this year. Now I am just trying to republish them cleanly. Without rebuilding 300plus albums (and copy/pasting all the text)

This is not a Backlight problem, it's Adobe being obtuse, but hopefully the next person that runs across this find this helpful.

Onward

#9 2019-02-22 05:43:00

scottfrey

One other thing I have found in this process. If you have messed up directory structure, Lightroom can't save changes or re-publish albums that are in the wrong place (not in their album set folder). The solution is to delete the set in the Backlight admin interface. Then you can make some change to the set and albums and get them to publish.

So, to recap:
in order to re-publish albums already published from Lightroom to a "new" instance of Backlight, you must "edit" each album set and album (which literally means change something, seems like any change will do) and and after a change is made, that album (or Album set) can be republished.

I hope this helps someone else. What a maze of workarounds

#10 2019-02-22 06:36:36

Daniel Leu
Website

scottfrey wrote:

So, to recap:
in order to re-publish albums already published from Lightroom to a "new" instance of Backlight, you must "edit" each album set and album (which literally means change something, seems like any change will do) and and after a change is made, that album (or Album set) can be republished.

I hope this helps someone else. What a maze of workarounds

The other day I found a Lr plugin that allows you to mark album trees for publishing. I think that's exactly what you need. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it sad

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#11 2019-02-22 08:39:08

scottfrey

The other day I found a Lr plugin that allows you to mark album trees for publishing. I think that's exactly what you need. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw it sad

You can right-click on the top level of an album tree and mark to republish. But it errors out if you try to publish, giving the "you must edit this album" error (three times)

Until you edit something on every every album and album set, you can't publish. Once you do that (assuming you haven't run into the other land mines I have found) it will publish an entire 'tree'. I've been publishing a tree for about 4 hours now. Still have one part of the tree that is in the wrong album level set. Trying to figure out why. It actually looks fine in backlight, but its in a different album set in Lightroom

Last edited by scottfrey (2019-02-22 09:39:43)

Board footer