Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-02 07:31:12

scottfrey

Pangolin Theater, Vegas Slideshow, controls

I have not been able to find documentation about what the various options do in the Vegas slideshow. I've yet to make it do what I want. There are so many variables that it is really difficult to figure out what is going on by experimentation. Is there documentation for what the various controls (like aspect ration) do? I need a setup guide.

What I want is to have the slide show adjust by page size such that it is always the maximum height or width that will fit on the screen, allowing for the header and footer (so that neither portrait nor landscape photos will fall off the page) I always want my footer (where the social icons now reside) visible. Basically so that the photos will scale within the viewport whether it's a 5K iMac or 1080p monitor an iPad or an iphone. I've yet to find settings that will work on all of them.

the site is https://www.lightsmithy.com

#2 2019-02-02 08:13:35

scottfrey

Re: Pangolin Theater, Vegas Slideshow, controls

Full screen mode almost does what I want. Though if I set a bottom margin I lose captions, and top margin appears to not do anything at all.

Is it possible to contain a full screen within top and bottom margins? (from the term, it is implied not, yet I can have a bottom margin, so that implies full screen can be less than full)

Last edited by scottfrey (2019-02-02 08:15:19)

#3 2019-02-02 08:48:38

rod barbee
Website

Full screen Vegas: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … n_vegas_fs
Be sure to click on the link about creating a full screen page template

There is a caption option with Vegas Full Screen. The captions are shown with a background color. I was just testing that and am having an issue with the caption location.

The aspect ratio is meant for the Vegas inline option and is the aspect ratio of the slideshow presentation. For example, if it's 2:1 then the slide show stage is twice as wide as it is tall. Give the slide show a background color and change the ratio, you'll see what I mean.

If you set it to 3:2 and you include pictures that have 3:2 ratio, the pictures will fill the available space. If you set the ratio to 3:1, the images will become smaller because there is less vertical space. This way you can control the size of the slide show.

On the other hand, if you have series of panoramic images and the slide show ratio is 3:2, you'll get space above and below the pictures. Setting an aspect ratio close the ratio of the panoramas will ensure they fill the available space.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2019-02-02 09:21:04

scottfrey

Full screen Vegas: http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … n_vegas_fs
Be sure to click on the link about creating a full screen page template

That creates a page with no menu visible by default (breakpoint=always), which is unacceptable as a home page (where you want to lead people into an action)

I tried creating one with top pallet navigation, but I can't get it to apply (as in the home page theater does not appear to use it, despite having set it to use in in the "page temple" pull down. Do I have to create a new theater to apply it? I'll poke at it for a while. If I can get a "full screen" with a visible top pallet and footer, that may be good enough (can I still do a custom footer?)

I think I understand the aspect ratio usage now. Thank you

Now, how do I control size and scaling? The only control I seem to have is max-width. If I set it so that (a 3:2 aspect) frame fits properly height wise (I can still see the footer) on a 1080p monitor, it still is too big on an iPad and is tiny with huge amounts of padding on the 5k iMac screen. If I increase width so that it nicely fills the 5k, it is way too big (tall) on 1080p. What am I missing to get it to downsize for the shorter viewport? (like it does in fullscreen mode, so it obviously can)

#5 2019-02-02 09:31:49

rod barbee
Website

If you place your navigation in the top pallet and set the breakpoint to something like 1024px, the navigation will appear at the top of the full page slide show, on top of the image. You'll probably want to make the top pallet visible on deskton and give the top pallet a background color so the menu items can be more easily read.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2019-02-02 09:42:02

rod barbee
Website

If I can get a "full screen" with a visible top pallet and footer, that may be good enough (can I still do a custom footer?)

Yes, you can do a custom footer. However, the bottom of the image will be covered by the footer.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2019-02-02 09:44:52

rod barbee
Website

Now, how do I control size and scaling? The only control I seem to have is max-width. If I set it so that (a 3:2 aspect) frame fits properly height wise (I can still see the footer) on a 1080p monitor, it still is too big on an iPad and is tiny with huge amounts of padding on the 5k iMac screen. If I increase width so that it nicely fills the 5k, it is way too big (tall) on 1080p. What am I missing to get it to downsize for the shorter viewport? (like it does in fullscreen mode, so it obviously can)

Try different aspect ratios. 2:1, 3:1

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2019-02-02 09:45:53

scottfrey

Here is the nature of the problem:
(these all display the same page, max-width 1200), 5k on top, then 1080p, then iPad)
backlight-sizes.png

Last edited by scottfrey (2019-02-02 09:46:43)

#9 2019-02-02 10:06:45

rod barbee
Website

Couple of things
Are the images large enough?
Have you limited the page width (in Layout)?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#10 2019-02-02 10:29:24

scottfrey

Are the images large enough?

the landscapes are mostly 1920x1280 (some are 2048 wide) are the portraits are 960x1440. Is that large enough? and "for what"? If I QuickLook them, they are much bigger than the site is displaying

Have you limited the page width (in Layout)?

1920 in the page template. I am unclear on what, precisely, this limits.

I also figured out that I can not retroactively change the "Page Template" of an Album Template. I can change it in the drop-down, but that doesn't seem to have any effect (yes, I have been clearing the template cache every time). I made a new test page for examining the full-page template path;

There appears to be no way to have any left-right padding that way. The image is all the way to the edge of the viewport (thus no virtual 'matting'). Again, that would seem to be implied in "full screen" except its not full screen top to bottom. Frustrating. I don't actually want Full Screen, I want the scaling behavior of the Full Screen mode.

#11 2019-02-02 10:34:17

rod barbee
Website

I also figured out that I can not retroactively change the "Page Template" of an Album Template.

Sure you can.
But if you’re using the Vegas Full screen, it’s going to still try to be full screen.

It might help to post a link to what you’re working on

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2019-02-02 10:55:38

scottfrey

I also figured out that I can not retroactively change the "Page Template" of an Album Template.

Sure you can.
But if you’re using the Vegas Full screen, it’s going to still try to be full screen.

No, if I change the "Page Template" drop down to a different template, that action has no effect. I know I should be able to, but it does not actually change anything.

It might help to post a link to what you’re working on

that was in the original post, but it's home page at https://www.lightsmithy.com

My full screen test is at: https://www.lightsmithy.com/portfolio/test/ (the "test page" in the menu)

Again, "large enough? and "for what". How does the size of the image affect the display in a Vegas slideshow? Presumably it won't upscale. How do I know what size they should be? (and how does Retina affect all of this). There is nothing in the documentation that I can find, so I am just guessing "as big as I could want to see them" and maybe x2 for retina.

#13 2019-02-02 11:55:53

scottfrey

Ironically, my test page does exactly what I want on the iPad:
IMG_0488.png

I am sure it is accidental and its not supposed to wink

#14 2019-02-02 11:59:50

rod barbee
Website

images won’t be upscaled but they will spread out to fill the available space.
So if you have a large page (max-width in Layout) and the gallery max width is large, but the template is creating images that are quite a bit smaller, those images will try to fill the available space and you’ll see pixelization.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2019-02-03 01:05:44

scottfrey

So in theory (for inline slideshow) I should set max-width and image size to look good on 5k monitors, and the responsive layout should downscale the slideshow for smaller screens. Which it sort of does, but not quite enough (images do not scale down enough, they scroll off the bottom)

It seems like it should work, but I can’t figure out what setting I am missing...

Again in theory, for full screen show, top-palette and footer can provide virtual matting, and conceptually some CSS should be able set the max width of the “screen” in th same way. Padding is not that setting.

#16 2019-02-03 01:35:01

rod barbee
Website

I don't think you can use css to set the max width of the screen for the full screen slide show. I think the whole point of it is that it fills whatever screen (well, the browser area anyway) it's being shown on. (depending on the image scaling setting)

as far as the virtual matting, the footer will cover the bottom of the picture.

It also looks to me (just changing settings and messing around) that a lot depends on the screen size and dimensions.
On my desktop, I can get a nice looking full screen slideshow that fills the browser. My monitors are just regularly shaped (4:3 ?) 20" monitors and not hi-res.
But my laptop has more of a 16:9  shape. And taking into account the browser menu, tools, etc, the space for the image becomes more like a 2:1 ratio.
If I have the image scaling setting at "cover", it covers the entire available browser space and only that 2:1 slice out of the middle of the picture is shown.
If I use the "fit" image scaling setting, then all of the image is shown but there's space on either side of the image (all of mine are 3:2 images)

I think that if you want the entire image to appear no matter what the screen size and shape is, you might want to try the "fit" image scaling option.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#17 2019-02-04 02:03:06

scottfrey

I’ve spent a lot of time digging through the forums and there are hints tha Galleria handles scaling better, I may give that a try.

I’ve also looked at every site I could find linked here and I see none that combine portrait and landscape in the same slideshow, what have all those people found that I haven’t yet?  So I am going to take that out of the equation as well.

#18 2019-02-04 02:21:15

rod barbee
Website

No reason not to mix portrait with landscape
This test Vegas inline album does just that
https://backlight-2-100.barbeephoto.com … 2017-2018/

It has a yellow background just to show the aspect ratio of the show (3:2)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer