Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-17 01:38:25

charles_i

Should I install Backlight 2 in my photos folder on the server

Quick question. I have not used Backlight 1 so this is my first experience with Backlight. I've been using the old CE4 TTG versions.

Some of my uploaded photos from Lightroom are in a folder called "photog" which contains several web pages of photos and an auto index page. On the root level is a "ttg-be" folder. There are other folders of exported CE4 Pages or Galleries which were manually uploaded via ftp and are not connected - so no auto index for these.

And I have other folders on the root level that are unrelated to photo galleries.

The point is, I use this domain for several purposes, it's not just one website as in the demo. So should I install Backlight 2 on the root level or in the "photog" folder or in a new folder? What do you recommend?

Thanks
Charles

#2 2019-01-17 02:09:25

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Should I install Backlight 2 in my photos folder on the server

The root level is the right place.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2019-01-17 02:19:37

charles_i

I just found the original email and according to Matt's instructions to me:

Instructions for upgrading from CE4 are here:
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … acklight_2

This page says, "Unzip the Backlight 2 installer into a CE4 site...."

But I have a folder named "photog" with an autoindex and several "sites" within it. To better understand this, can you tell me, does Backlight 2 replace the ttg-be folder contents? Can I delete ttg-be after conversion? If I install it on the root folder how does it know to link to the "photog" folder contents?

Charles

Last edited by charles_i (2019-01-17 04:48:42)

#4 2019-01-17 06:15:08

Daniel Leu
Website

charles_i wrote:

I just found the original email and according to Matt's instructions to me:

Instructions for upgrading from CE4 are here:
http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … acklight_2

This page says, "Unzip the Backlight 2 installer into a CE4 site...."

But I have a folder named "photog" with an autoindex and several "sites" within it. To better understand this, can you tell me, does Backlight 2 replace the ttg-be folder contents? Can I delete ttg-be after conversion? If I install it on the root folder how does it know to link to the "photog" folder contents?

Charles

/ttg_be folder will be replaced by /backlight. But don't delete ttg_be until backlight is up and running. In Backlight, you can create a new top-level gallery called /photog where you will place your photo albums. I assume that with 'sites' you meant photo albums.

Do you have a link to your current site?

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#5 2019-01-17 06:24:54

rod barbee
Website

Matt's instructions assume that your CE4 installation was in the root of your site. If it's not, then you might need to install differently. As Daniel suggests, post a link to your current site so we can see what you've got going.
And it would help if you can describe the structure you want for your site:

Do you want a site based entirely on Backlight: Home and other pages, albums, etc?

Or is your site base on something else and you only want Backlight for publishing albums?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2019-01-17 10:20:20

charles_i

Hmm seems the site is already broken... http://whatwant.ca/photog/ - the next set of top level album pages contain a php error.  They contained another set of index pages of years for each of the top level indexes. The ttg-be folder is still there on the root level but I haven't looked at this stuff for quite a long time which is why it's a good idea to do this now.

I'm not too concerned about keeping this site as is. It would be nice to convert it for time, but if I have to republish it I could do that. I might not keep all of it online anyway.

Will I be able to use the old templates in Lightroom that have the content in them? There is currently a template for every year in every category so there are lots of them.

I would like to keep the structure that I have which is:
- top level - photos by category - Kosh, Wildwood etc.
- next level - another index by year
- next level - all the photos and pages for that year

I don't care if I use Pages or Galleries or something else - whatever is the easiest. I don't have a lot of content on the Album pages other than the basic photo info like number and date. But they go back many years so there are hundreds of photos.

This is meant to be a "proofing" platform for people to let me know if they want one of these for posting somewhere or a high resolution copy to use to print. The purpose is not a pretty public website. That's why I put them in a "photog" folder so they aren't easily visible to the world. Whatever is the fastest and easiest system to update each year (Publisher was great for this) is all that matters.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Charles

#7 2019-01-17 10:30:03

Daniel Leu
Website

Most likely, the site is broken because your host changed the php version. If you log into the cpanel, you should be able to set it manually to 5.6.

Templates need to be redone. But this is so much easier now with Backlight.

Backlight can update all your existing Publisher based albums. That should be easy. Once you have Backlight, you will notice that designing your page and maintaining it is so much easier than with CE4.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#8 2019-01-18 01:14:22

charles_i

The PHP version is 7.2.14 so that shouldn't be the current problem. It looks like I'll have to re-create all of the templates.

In the past t the problem with template creation being so cumbersome was Lightroom's interface. I'm using the old Lightroom 5 but I do have the Adobe license so I can upgrade to the latest version if you recommend it, but I don't need a lot of the social media improvements that I see are the changes. Do you recommend updating Lightroom for Backlight 2 before I start or does Backlight use a different system than those horrible scrolling Lightroom template setups?

#9 2019-01-18 01:17:41

rod barbee
Website

The only Lightroom plug-in Backlight uses is the TTG Publisher plugin. The Web Module and all those web engine plugins are no longer used. All designing is done online in the Backlight interface. Much faster, much easier.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#10 2019-01-18 03:15:04

Daniel Leu
Website

rod barbee wrote:

The only Lightroom plug-in Backlight uses is the TTG Publisher plugin. The Web Module and all those web engine plugins are no longer used. All designing is done online in the Backlight interface. Much faster, much easier.

And Backlight doesn't depend on Lightroom since you can upload images using the web interface.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#11 2019-01-18 03:17:30

Daniel Leu
Website

charles_i wrote:

The PHP version is 7.2.14 so that shouldn't be the current problem. It looks like I'll have to re-create all of the templates.

The PHP language evolved and versions 7+ introduced some changes that break backwards compatibility. That's why your CE4 installation is broken. The easiest way to revive your CE4 based albums is to downgrade to a previous PHP version.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#12 2019-01-18 06:59:12

Ben

Do you know what error message you were seeing?  If so, please copy and paste it here.

#13 2019-01-18 07:23:12

Daniel Leu
Website

Ben wrote:

Do you know what error message you were seeing?  If so, please copy and paste it here.

Hi Ben,

This is what I see when I go to his page:

count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable|#0 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/ttg-be/framework/helpers/SimpleHTMLTag.php(29): ErrorHandler::handleError(2, 'count(): Parame...', '/var/www/vhosts...', 29, Array) #1 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/ttg-be/publisher/application/models/Album.php(396): SimpleHTMLTag->__construct('ul.breadcrumbs') #2 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/ttg-be/publisher/application/models/Album.php(289): Album->generateBreadcrumbMarkup(Array, Array, false) #3 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/ttg-be/templates/autoindex/JeanJohnson-Auto-index/template_index.php(244): Album->getBreadcrumbs(Array) #4 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/ttg-be/publisher/application/controllers/GalleryController.php(184): include_once('/var/www/vhosts...') #5 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/ttg-be/framework/controllers/Controller.php(41): GalleryController->autoindex('10659', 'index', '') #6 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/ttg-be/framework/Framework.php(124): Controller->dispatch(Array) #7 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/photog/jjg/lib.php(48): Framework->route() #8 /var/www/vhosts/fanoss.cirrusvps.ca/whatwant.ca/photog/jjg/index.php(4): route(Array) #9 {main}|URL: /photog/jjg/index.php

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#14 2019-01-19 18:37:18

Ben

Thanks, Daniel.

Hi Charles, this error has come about from an update to PHP on your server that the TTG BE is not compatible with.
I've put in a fix in the file CE4-TTG-BE-205b.zip in the shop.  Can you download that zip file and upload this single file from the zip to your server?

ttg-be/framework/helpers/SimpleHTMLTag.php

Board footer