Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-26 07:35:44

michilge
Website

Migrating Album Sets and Albums to another site

First of all I want to wish everybody a fine christmas!

I have moved to another provider.
I have the new site running with another domain name and did a fresh install.
What is the easiest way to transfer the galleries published on the old sit to the new one?

Is there a method that saves me from creating all albums and album sets under a new publishing service in LR?

I came up with the idea to modify the publishing service instead of creating a second one.
I put the paths and API key of the new server and domain in the settings of the old publisher instance.
LR prompts me, if I would like to republish everything and I said "No".

When I touch the first of my albums to edit them, I get a message from LR/pubisher that the album does not exist on the server and that I should edit and republish.

This works with albums.

With album sets it's a bit different:
When I edit, publish and view in a browser, everything seems fine first.
But when I want to edit the same album set again and republish it, LR publisher again says the the album could not be found for a given id and that I should better edit and try again.
The changes I made are saved and can be viewed in the browser, but the id for the album set assumed by LR/publisher is different from the id used for the same album in BL2's publisher section.

If someone has an idea or good arguments to talk me out of being lazy, You're welcome.

All the best to You again
Michael

#2 2018-12-26 08:16:26

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Migrating Album Sets and Albums to another site

Hi Michael,

Merry Christmas to you too!

I zipped up my old installation, copied it to the new host and unzipped it it over there. Then I just needed to adjust a few backlight settings, and in your case, API settings in Lr and that's it. No need to republish anything.

It helped that I had ssh command line access at both hosts. So zipping and unzipping was a blast. And I used wget to copy the zip file from the old host to the new one. Command line access is a bit more dangerous since it is easy to screw up an entire installation, but some tasks like moving to a new host, are so much faster.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2018-12-26 09:46:02

michilge
Website

Hi Daniel,

I wish it had been so easy for me.

I had first tried to copy all the content. The new provider even has a tool for that.
But my .htaccess files did not work well with the new server.
I had made some changes when I switched from http to https on the old domain.
And trying to fix that I messed up completly

Also, the new site has a different domain name too and the old site has been quite a mess after moving from ce3 to ce4 and then to BL.
So I have already done a fresh install of BL2 and transferred all my templates via ex- and import.

So now it's "only" the albums left.

#4 2018-12-26 10:11:37

Daniel Leu
Website

For the .htaccess file, I would recommend to download the BL2 installer again and use the .htaccess file from there. This way you have the latest version.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

Board footer