Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-16 07:42:33

mindstorm

BL2 Menu Not Showing on iPhone

My website now looks pretty solid on a computer, so I am turning my attention the mobile device display.

I have the horizontal navigation working on the computer, but it does not show up on my iPhone.  I have the Masthead in the Header, and that is then set to 'always' show.  I also have the horizontal navigation set to show in the header.

On my computer, I see the masthead and menu as expected.

On my iPhone I see the masthead, but no menu.

What have I done wrong this time?  smile  --- www.mindstormphoto.com

#2 2018-11-16 07:55:20

rod barbee
Website

Re: BL2 Menu Not Showing on iPhone

go to your page template:
Navigation > Vertical Navigation.
Assign the Location to Pallet 1

the navigation will then be accessed by the mobile menu button in the upper right of the page for mobile devices.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2018-11-16 08:05:37

mindstorm

@Rod - Thanks!  That does show now.  I had not used that, thinking it would show up in the right-column pallet I use on the computer for 'recent posts' and the like.

The BL designer does say that the menu will be 'flat' on mobile devices.  I believe (after seeing it now) that means that all submenus are visible at all times.

Is there any way to change that, so that only top level menus are visible until one is chosen?  As is now ("flat"), the user has to scroll through an awful lot of 'travel' items before reaching the next main topic ("art", then "studio", etc)

#4 2018-11-16 08:18:09

rod barbee
Website

mindstorm wrote:

Is there any way to change that, so that only top level menus are visible until one is chosen?  As is now ("flat"), the user has to scroll through an awful lot of 'travel' items before reaching the next main topic ("art", then "studio", etc)

no. the flyout only applies to desktop (or displays wider than the mobile breakpoint set in Layout. The smallest breakpoint being 640px)

You may be able to change that with custom css but on a phone, the flyout menu might just run out of room to fly out wink

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2018-11-16 08:21:47

mindstorm

rod barbee wrote:

no. the flyout only applies to desktop (or displays wider than the mobile breakpoint set in Layout. The smallest breakpoint being 640px)

Bummer.  I may have to rethink the menu then.  Perhaps have a second menu design oriented around the mobile devices, and use that navigation menu on smaller screens.

Do you think that would work, or is there some other roadblock I would run into that I haven't thought of yet?

#6 2018-11-16 08:32:01

rod barbee
Website

There's really only one choice for mobile menus. There are options in the designer, such as adding divider lines.

The only other option I can see is replacing the menu with one of your own design (html and css) via phplugins using the ttg_navigation hook. But that would require quite a bit of coding I imagine.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2018-11-16 09:28:34

Daniel Leu
Website

I would design a dedicated menu-set for mobile that uses a simpler structure. First I would design this alternative menu in Backlight (create a new menu-set for that!), then copy the generated source code that is enclosed by the nav divs:

<div id="page__pallet__T1" class="page__column page__pallet" data-position="T1">
	<div class="content clearfix">

<nav class="nav nav_v">
   ... menu code
</nav>

</div>
</div>

Then use this code in your phplugins file:

function pallet01_top () {
  echo '
<nav class="nav nav_v">
   ... menu code
</nav>
  ';

return true;
}

And then obviously you need to revert your site back to the original menu and disable the mobile menu. Now the mobile menu will be provided by phplugins. I think that this is the easiest way to have a different custom menu for mobile.

BTW, if you go to /gallery, you will notice that some of the gallery-sets don't have thumbnails.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#8 2018-11-16 09:52:55

mindstorm

Daniel Leu wrote:

I would design a dedicated menu-set for mobile that uses a simpler structure. First I would design this alternative menu in Backlight (create a new menu-set for that!), then copy the generated source code that is enclosed by the nav divs:

Thanks -- I'll see if I can give that a try.  I actually knew CSS about 15 years ago, but haven't done any coding in it since then, and now after 5 years of full retirement, have trouble making sense of what used to be second-nature... smile

Daniel Leu wrote:

BTW, if you go to /gallery, you will notice that some of the gallery-sets don't have thumbnails.

That was true yesterday, but I added the thumbnails to all the galleries last night.  Could you please clear your cache and check again?  If you find any that do not have a thumbnail, I would really appreciate a specific pointer.  I just went through them all here on Firefox (which I clear cache on frequently, and use only for tests like this), and every gallery set I saw had a thumbnail.

#9 2018-11-16 11:08:04

Daniel Leu
Website

mindstorm wrote:
Daniel Leu wrote:

That was true yesterday, but I added the thumbnails to all the galleries last night.  Could you please clear your cache and check again?  If you find any that do not have a thumbnail, I would really appreciate a specific pointer.  I just went through them all here on Firefox (which I clear cache on frequently, and use only for tests like this), and every gallery set I saw had a thumbnail.

That's not a cache issue... There is no thumbnail:

<figure itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/ImageObject">
	<div class="content">

<a href="https://www.mindstormphoto.com/gallery/gallery-travel/">

<figcaption itemprop="caption description">
			<p class="album-title">04-Travel</p>

</figcaption>

</a>

</div>
</figure>

https://www.mindstormphoto.com/gallery/

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#10 2018-11-16 11:20:52

mindstorm

Daniel Leu wrote:

That's not a cache issue... There is no thumbnail:

https://www.mindstormphoto.com/gallery/

Aha!  You manually went where no man should go! smile

That is, I have no menu that goes to that url (do I???).  I checked the thumbnails for each menu landing target, but had not looked at the level above them.

#11 2018-11-16 11:22:45

mindstorm

@Daniel --

I am using the TTG Publisher module from Lightroom.  Just checking now, and I don't see any way to define the thumbnails at that top level.  I can do it for each of the album sets I created, but not for the top level 'gallery'.

Or is there something I am missing in the Publisher too?

#12 2018-11-16 11:33:21

rod barbee
Website

You’re choosing a cover image for each album set.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#13 2018-11-16 11:56:43

mindstorm

rod barbee wrote:

You’re choosing a cover image for each album set.

Thanks.  I see now that you can get there by clicking on the cookie trail (I forget the proper name of that text hierarchy).

I have now put icons for each of those.  I don't see how to get rid of the "main copy block" text though.  I eliminated it on the others by setting the TTG Publisher edit album set to "replace text" (rather than "above text").  I don't see where to access that for this top-level ("gallery") display.

#14 2018-11-16 12:15:22

rod barbee
Website

Try editing the album set template being used for the top-level gallery
You can also add text specific to the top level gallery. In Backlight go to Publisher. Click on the name of the top level gallery and edit properties

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#15 2018-11-16 13:16:56

mindstorm

rod barbee wrote:

You can also add text specific to the top level gallery. In Backlight go to Publisher. Click on the name of the top level gallery and edit properties

That did it -- thanks again!

Board footer