Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-14 08:08:20

michilge
Website

Backlight 2 installation - Database update failed

Hello all,

I just started the Backlight installer. It seemed successful until I clicked "Proceed to Backlight".
After entering my credentials the database update started but seemingly did not finish.
I got this output:

Updating TTG Backlight from version 1.2.2 to 2.0.0
Backing up databases...
Backed up master.sq3
Upgrading to version 1.2.3...
Update to 1.2.3 completed
Upgrading to version 1.9.1...
Updating settings
Update to 1.9.1 completed
Upgrading to version 1.9.2...
Migrating settings
Unable to upgrade to version 1.9.2
Error message: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 10 disk I/O errorSQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 cannot rollback - no transaction is active|#0 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/helpers/GenericUpgradeHelper.php(111): PDO->rollBack() #1 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/helpers/GenericApplicationHelper.php(138): GenericUpgradeHelper->upgradeIfNeeded() #2 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/Framework.php(440): GenericApplicationHelper->checkUpgrade(Array) #3 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/Framework.php(151): Framework->initApplication() #4 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/Framework.php(41): Framework->init() #5 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/index.php(31): Framework->__construct('..', Array) #6 {main}|URL: /backlight/index.php

That's beyond my scope, I'm afraid.

As Ben might remember, there had been an SQLite issue with my provider recently. The essence was that SQLite3 did not have access to the temporary directory it tried to write to. The provider helped in the end by reluctantly setting the environment variable TMPDIR to a path that is writeable. According to phpinfo() this setting is still active.

The long story with all the try and error is here:
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8723

Thank You in advance for Your help.
Michael

#2 2018-09-14 08:18:57

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Backlight 2 installation - Database update failed

Similar error in this post. Give it a look and let us know whether that gets you past the problem.
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8909

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2018-09-14 08:28:48

michilge
Website

Hi,

sorry, doesn't help. I already was at 1.2.2.
To do as Ben proposed, I must log into backlight. Whenever I try this, I get the output as above.

My PHP version is 7.1.
The provider announced to switch off 5.6 soon.

The ftp-account I created for Ben is still active. credentials in my mail from June, 7 2018.

Michael

#4 2018-09-14 12:59:33

Ben

Matthew wrote:

Similar error in this post. Give it a look and let us know whether that gets you past the problem.
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=8909

Not all upgrade errors are the same.  You have to see what the reported error is. 

This one looks like an issue writing to the disk.  Michael, do you have a disk quota that you may have reached?

#5 2018-09-14 17:31:24

michilge
Website

Hi Ben,

55% of my quota is unused.
I read something about a transaction. Can it have to do with journal settings?

When I open the log in backlight/data/admin/logs. I don't read about the I/O error. But in my browser I see both.

[14-Sep-2018 10:23:25] ERROR: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 cannot rollback - no transaction is active|#0 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/helpers/GenericUpgradeHelper.php(111): PDO->rollBack()#1 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/helpers/GenericApplicationHelper.php(138): GenericUpgradeHelper->upgradeIfNeeded()#2 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/Framework.php(440): GenericApplicationHelper->checkUpgrade(Array)#3 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/Framework.php(151): Framework->initApplication()#4 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/modules/module-framework/Framework.php(41): Framework->init()#5 /is/htdocs/wp1139230_3D4UV0VX43/www/fotos/backlight/index.php(31): Framework->__construct('..', Array)#6 {main}|URL: /backlight/index.php

#6 2018-09-14 20:21:41

alfred

Hi Michael, Ben,
same hoster same problem. Exactly the same error message. I will have to revert back to Backlight 1.
I am definitely out of my depth here. I had feared this would be the case, but thought I needed to give it a try to confirm it is something related to our hoster.

Alfred

#7 2018-09-14 20:45:12

michilge
Website

Hi again,

Ben's question has something to it. My research also pointed in the direction of diskspace.
The user_tmp path is outside of the root I can access via ftp.
It might well be that ther is a separate quota that isn't shown in the customer admin panel.
Our hoster has a script that is claimed to show the content of the TEMPDIR.
That script gives no result as if the user_tmp where empty.
This may be true, but it can also be that the script doesn't work due to changes in permission settings. No way to verify.
I tried contacting the hoster with the question, if they could check my user_tmp.
First phone call was frustrating. They pointed me to the error logs, where I have masses of missing file errors. But they are due to the fact that I moved the old content of the Backlight folder out of the way.

Alfred: As soon as they send me a ticket number, I will tell them, that You have the problem too.

Let's hope it can be solved without their assistance.

#8 2018-09-17 22:50:59

michilge
Website

Hi again,

I finally have an answer from Hosteurope. They have not set a separate space quota for the user_tmp. It is accounted on my regular quota. Since > 10 GB of my Webspace are free, space should not be the cause of the problem.
They put in place a test script that allows me to verifiy that my user tmp is indeed writeable and also that it is empty. No left over stuff cluttering around.

I had proposed them to point the environment variable TEMPDIR which SQLite uses to find a place for temporary stuff to a location within my webspace where I could monitor what is going on there.
They refused that and proposed I should change to a dedicated Server or vServer. 

@Ben: I would be glad if You could point out what steps it takes to switch back to Backlight 1:
Restoring the original content of the backlight directory is trivial. I already did that.
Which of the Database Backups must be reinstalled and what else has to be done to rollback the steps performed by the installer?

I want ot rollback and regret having applied the installer on my live site without testing.

@Alfred: Hosteurope weren't service oriented in my perception. They also weren't impressed by the fact that I'm not their only customer experiencing the problem. I have not yet decided what is best: switching to a virtual server or just trying another hoster. I feel like trying another shared hosting offer by all-inkl with a test domain first. I will keep You updated.

Cheers for now
Michael

#9 2018-09-17 23:04:34

Ben

Hi Michael, sorry to hear that your hosting issues have continued.
The installer has likely made changes to your database files.  The database upgrade should have made copies of the previous versions within each respective database_backups directory.  To copy the main three back, see whether you have the files to make these copies (all paths assume you are in the backlight/data directory):

publisher/database_backups/master_3_2_3.sq3 to publisher/master.sq3
designer/database_backups/master_1_2_3.sq3 to designer/master.sq3
admin/database_backups/master_1_2_3.sq3 to admin/master.sq3

I am not sure if keeping any -journal files around will cause issues (e.g. admin/master.sq3-journal).  Perhaps make a copy of these and delete them

#10 2018-09-18 03:02:20

Daniel Leu
Website

Ben wrote:

Hi Michael, sorry to hear that your hosting issues have continued.
The installer has likely made changes to your database files.  The database upgrade should have made copies of the previous versions within each respective database_backups directory.  To copy the main three back, see whether you have the files to make these copies (all paths assume you are in the backlight/data directory):

publisher/database_backups/master_3_2_3.sq3 to publisher/master.sq3
designer/database_backups/master_1_2_3.sq3 to designer/master.sq3
admin/database_backups/master_1_2_3.sq3 to admin/master.sq3

I am not sure if keeping any -journal files around will cause issues (e.g. admin/master.sq3-journal).  Perhaps make a copy of these and delete them

Michael, before rolling back to BL1, please make a backup of your /backlight/data directory!

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#11 2018-09-18 20:25:07

alfred

Michael, thanks for keeping me in the loop.
I have similar sentiments towards host europe and I might try to host my site with an old friend who runs a small hosting company as a second job. May not be the ideal solution in the long run, but like you, I need to try something different I am afraid. I will watch your case and keep you informed how my attempt goes.

Anyone else in this forum who hosts a Backlight site in Germany? If someone has a recommendation for a good hoster, please post it here or probably better send me a PM. I am happy to forward such info to Michael, as well and report back here once we have found a suitable alternative.

Alfred

#12 2018-09-19 00:24:42

kolohe280

While I'm not in Germany, I use 1and1, which I believe is based in Germany.  I've been with them for close to 20 years and have never had any significant problems with their service, just a few little ones that most of the time were because I wasn't paying attention.  Backlight works great there.  Their prices are very reasonable for what you get, at least by US standards.

#13 2018-09-19 06:08:53

Rainer Goergen
Website

One.com

#14 2018-10-07 23:27:23

TFu

I also have tried to upgrade to Backlight 2 on a HostEurope site, just to experience a sea of red "Something went wrong" messages both on the update from Backlight 1 and on a a clean fresh Backlight 2 installation.

From this thread do I have to conclude that Backlight 2 will never work on shared hosting by HostEurope? I have had no problem with them so far for many years and I'm not ready to move away everything for an incompatibility with Backlight 2. In this case can I get a refund for Backlight 2?

#15 2018-10-08 04:12:39

Matthew
Administrator
Website

TFu, please email me in private. I'd like to get a conversation going between you, me and Ben about whether we can resolve the issues with your host. If not, then you and I can discuss a case exception for a refund off-forum.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#16 2018-10-10 01:13:46

Jon@hpx
Website

I have run into a somewhat similar issue. I get these error messages:

For Publisher:
Backing up databases...
Backed up master.sq3
Upgrading to version 3.2.2...
Updating settings table
Unable to upgrade to version 3.2.2
Error message: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 no such column: title

Designer
Backing up databases...
Backed up master.sq3
Upgrading to version 1.2.0...
Configuring localizations
Unable to upgrade to version 1.2.0
Error message: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 no such column: sort_order

I tried Ben's work around (ie reinstalling the modules) but that didn't resolve the issue. Funnily enough, both the cart and client-response modules updated with no apparent problem (although I have not dipped into those areas yet).

My site is running PHP 5.6.37.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

#17 2018-10-10 01:42:50

Daniel Leu
Website

Jon@hpx wrote:

I have run into a somewhat similar issue. I get these error messages:

For Publisher:
Backing up databases...
Backed up master.sq3
Upgrading to version 3.2.2...
Updating settings table
Unable to upgrade to version 3.2.2
Error message: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 no such column: title

Designer
Backing up databases...
Backed up master.sq3
Upgrading to version 1.2.0...
Configuring localizations
Unable to upgrade to version 1.2.0
Error message: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1 no such column: sort_order

I tried Ben's work around (ie reinstalling the modules) but that didn't resolve the issue. Funnily enough, both the cart and client-response modules updated with no apparent problem (although I have not dipped into those areas yet).

My site is running PHP 5.6.37.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

Since this is a new issue, I would have opened a new thread. This makes it easier to keep track of things.

Anyway, I would email Ben your ftp and backlight admin login/password so he can have a closer look what's going on.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#18 2018-10-10 10:52:04

Ben

Hi Jon, this is due to a failure in the update process from a BL 1 version that hasn't been updated some time between 1.1.1 and 1.2 (23 and 15 months ago).  I'll need a full admin account and probably FTP access in order to create a work-around.

#19 2018-10-14 18:12:18

TFu

Hi Matthew, of course I would prefer very much, if a technical solution could be found between you and the hosting company to make Backlight and I trust that this should be possible. I'll email ftp access and the information I have in private to you and Ben and am ready to assist wherever I can.

#20 2018-10-16 19:00:53

Ben

I have come up with a workaround on Hosteurope that looks promising.  Michael and Alfred, are you still facing issues with this?  If so I'll work with you to try the workaround.

#21 2018-10-16 21:18:46

alfred

Hi Ben, I have still the same problems, nothing has changed. I’d be keen to find a solution.
Currently I am on a business trip in Germany, but I still monitor this thread.
Anything you want me to do?
Alfred

#22 2018-10-17 05:09:26

Ben

Hi Alfred, can you provide me with FTP access and a Backlight adminlgin via email? I’ll then put in the same fix for you.

#23 2018-10-18 12:46:33

alfred

Ben, Info sent.
Alfred

#24 2018-10-20 02:47:10

alfred

Hi Ben, problems solved!

Great support, I love the responsiveness of this team! Once everything was in place I just needed to get my head around the required changes to my customs phplugins file, which was easy at the end with the help of the info provided by Daniel – many thanks for this as well.

Cheers guys, keep up the great work!

Alfred

Board footer