Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-12 18:10:33

tonygamble

Does Backlight 2 work on a LiteSpeed server?

I'm interested in buying the new Backlight that is not reliant on Lightroom.

Your specification about FTP servers refers to Apache and I have enquired with my guys. They came back with the following:-

"Our shared servers are LiteSpeed unfortunately rather than Apache, and this CMS seems to reference just Apache. I'd recommend checking with them to see if Litespeed also works for this software."

Will I be OK or will the software not run?

Many thanks

Tony

#2 2018-09-12 20:10:32

Ben

Re: Does Backlight 2 work on a LiteSpeed server?

Hi Tony, to be honest, I have no idea.  We've never developed it with LiteSpeed in mind or testing against it.  The main Apache-specific functionality that Backlight uses is URL-rewriting via .htaccess files.  Litespeed also supports .htaccess files, but as we haven't tested against that server I can't say for sure that it would run properly.

#3 2018-09-12 20:40:20

tonygamble

Thanks Ben.

As you sell Backlight 2 on a 'no returns' basis - about which I fully understand - I will leave purchasing it for a while.

As Matthew knows I was a TTG user for a while but got fed up with the overhead created by Lightroom. I have muddled along with JuiceBox in the meantime. Learning Backlight from scratch will be a challenge I am tempted to postpone and maybe by then someone will have tried it on LiteSpeed.

Thanks again.

Tony

#4 2018-09-12 20:46:28

Ben

Hi Tony, Backlight 2 is a world away from our LR-based plugins in terms of ease of installation and updating.

I'd like to test it in a web server-agnostic way, but am quite limited in time at this point.  Hopefully before too long!

#5 2018-09-12 20:58:46

tonygamble

Thanks Ben,

Fully understand about the time pressure.

Tony

#6 2019-11-17 21:23:43

tonygamble

Can I flush up this one year old thread and ask the same question regarding Litespeed instead of Apache.

My web provider said ""Our shared servers are LiteSpeed unfortunately rather than Apache, and this CMS seems to reference just Apache. I'd recommend checking with them to see if Litespeed also works for this software."

I have done a search on this site. Two people have mentioned Litespeed since my post. Do you happen to know if they got Backlight 2 working?

#7 2019-11-18 18:37:31

tonygamble

Maybe you could look at those two posts were people seemed to have problems with Litespeed and see if they spoke of a syntax that they thought caused problems.

Then could one of you good souls at The Turning Gate send me a couple of relatively complicated folders that use 'swipe' and I could upload them to the web server I rent space on. We could then see if they work.

I would very much like to return to your system as I find the JuiceBox system degrades my images - but I left you when you were tied to Lightroom and I am not a Lightroom user.

Tony

#8 2019-11-18 20:46:52

Ben

Hi Tony, I haven't tested it, but Backlight 2 should work on Litespeed, as long as the PHP requirements are met: PHP 5.4 or higher, support for SQLite, and XML, which are pretty much standard for PHP installs.
Backlight 2 removes all requirements for Apache's rewrite, which was the biggest issue on non-Apache environments, but Litespeed supports mod_rewrite anyway, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I haven't had a chance to test Backlight 2 on Litespeed; my attempts to install it have failed.  Your suggestion of taking some swipe folders won't work, as Backlight 2 needs a full installation to function.  I'll be happy to help with any support issues you might encounter.

#9 2019-11-18 21:00:43

tonygamble

Thanks Ben,

I forgot that it needed Backlight installing on the server.

I have a few jobs that will need my attention over the next couple of weeks. Now is not the time to be learning new techniques.

I'll be back when life gets quieter. I'll also ask my web chaps about PHP and so on.

Tony

Board footer