Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-18 21:08:52

Tiggrrr42
Website

Portfolio moved from 500px to Backlight

Hi, delurking...

Having been a wee bit annoyed when 500px announced that their quite useful Portfolio feature would be going away, to be replaced by a new service only available at a cost I wasn't interested in paying, I decided to start thinking about what to do.

I had a quick look at the Adobe service (free with my Photographer Creative Cloud sub, yay), but soon dismissed it as not flexible enough.

Then my memory stirred - I recalled previously playing around with a Lightroom add-in that worked with the web module. And I even remembered the site name so headed to the Turning Gate. I liked what I saw, so last week I bought Backlight and started to play.

It's still in the early stages, but I've been able to move the portfolio to my own hosting and tweak the look a wee bit. Here it is:

Les Bessant Photography

Very impressed with Backlight, and with the information in the community.

#2 2017-10-18 21:24:52

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: Portfolio moved from 500px to Backlight

Welcome, Les! And thank you for your kind words about Backlight. The site is looking good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out beyond the early stages. big_smile

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2017-11-28 02:03:55

peter

Having a quick look at sites to get some ideas.
A small criticism. When you click on a titled imaged, say, Castle Coch, one expects to be taken to a gallery of images of that subject. But it's really just the one image and part of a single level slideshow. Have you looked into creating 'album sets'? I think if you start doing those, the site would pop.
Love the photos overall, especially since you use an X-T2 for most. Not a big fan of HDR, but it does look cool for effect, if you know what I mean. ?

#4 2017-11-28 04:46:48

Tiggrrr42
Website

Thanks - the Castles album is part of the Wales album set, as it happens.

Still early days for this site - I need to find the time to select and re-edit[1] images, and there will probably be some rearrangements as I add more content.

[1] Software and my skills have come on a bit since some of the earlier ones

#5 2017-11-28 04:57:18

peter

Oh right, so it is! I think what misled me was the thumbnail has a label so I was expecting a gallery. If you leave the label off, it might be more tempting for people to click on it too. One of my favorite castles, though purists would mention it's not a 'real' one, and only, what, a couple hundred years old?

#6 2017-11-28 21:42:21

Tiggrrr42
Website

Castell Coch was a late 19th century "restoration" of  a ruin. It is deeply unreal, and all the better for it smile

It's what happens when somebody incredibly rich hires an imaginative architect. They did some impressive work at Cardiff Castle, too.

Board footer