Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-16 06:23:33

JimR
Website

File Naming bug in TTG publisher?

I can replicate this in several ways, and after a few ideas that might be causing the problem. I also tried the magic of deleting the Lightroom preference file, but the problem still occurs.

In the LR Publishing Manager, I select the TTG Publisher and go to the File Naming module.

I select rename files to <sequence #(01)>

What I end up with is only one photo in the album, named "01.jpg"

I tried the option to rename files to <image #(01)> and get the same result.

Both the sequence and image number is always 01, resulting in just a single photos called "01.jpg"

I also tried various combinations such as "test-<sequence #(01)>" and publishes just one photo called "test-01.jpg"

Yet another test was "test-<date (YYMMDD)>-<sequence #(01)>". This published more photos, but only when they had different dates. So if I had three photos, and two were shot on the same date, then I only ended up with two photos (e.g. "test-170101-01" and "test-170102-01"). Note that all photo names end with "....01.jpg"

What I think is happening. TTG Publisher is not incrementing it's internal counter, so all <sequence> and <index> numbers are stuck at the same initial value.

The problem then is if there's a name collision, the TTG Publisher is overwriting the file. So in the case of renaming files to <sequence #(01)> you end up with only one photo, named "01.jpg". Similarly, if you rename files to "Photo-<sequence #(01)>" you end up with only one photo in the album named "Photo-01.jpg"

On a related note, even if the sequence/image counter were working, I'd prefer that TTG Publisher not overwrite a file. It could display an error, naming the problem file, but it would be difficult to figure out which is the problem image(s) and how to fix it. Better if TTG just appended the file name with an incremental value just to avoid the collision.

--Jim

#2 2017-11-16 06:43:16

rod barbee
Website

Re: File Naming bug in TTG publisher?

sequential renaming has been a problem for a long time, going back to the first iteration of Publisher. Basically, it's a Lightroom issue.
Ben has addressed this in the past:
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=6138
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=5813

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-11-16 07:35:40

JimR
Website

Re: File Naming bug in TTG publisher?

I had just found another couple threads mentioning the problem with using a sequence. I understand how/why it's a problem.

I came up with a work around to get the result I'm looking for. This even works better because I can start with the file name on the web site and find the original in Lightroom quickly.

I can use <folder>-<original number suffix>.

This gives me files names like "Jane-Doe-0274" and "Betty-Sue-5381"

This will avoid the name collision that happens with sequence or image numbers. Besides, I really didn't care what the number was!

Still, it sure would be nice to have sequence or index available during publishing.

BTW

I use <folder> because I put all my image sets into a good folder name (like the name of the model or location of a landscape).

I hadn't thought of it before. Using the LR folder name is a much better workflow for me. 95% of the folder names I was using were good names in general. When I realized I could use the LF folder name during publishing, I only had to modify a few. Then republish all albums. That gave me good file names (which can help SEO).

Then I realized the folder name could also be a good default caption name! So I update my LUA code in my Backlight template that writes out the caption to this:

{LUA= if Caption ~= "" then return sprintf('"%s" %s %s', Caption, Month, YYYY) else return sprintf('"%s" %s %s', Folder, Month, YYYY) end}

Now the caption that appears in the web site is the LR folder name, which is good for most cases. For images that I wish to create a better caption, I add it to the LR metadata. Doing things this way is an easy workflow to my entire process of moving images from the camera to the web.

--Jim

Board footer