Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-10-25 12:46:19

pjtraveler

Re: ?For BackLight, what limits are you aware of?

Opening a ticket with WordFence.

However, a couple of  questions: 
1) Why is $OldFilename defined most of the time, but sometimes not?
3) The second token fail (line 856) is complaining about invalid characters.  Where did the parse come from that sent it bad characters in this case.

#27 2017-10-25 13:09:16

Ben

Thanks.  There are three options to fix this:

1. Disable Wordfence for the Publish service.  As you have found, this causes issues.  We can't support Backlight issues that occur due to third-party code.  There's every possibility that some or most of your issues have been caused by non-Backlight code.

2. Fix the above code so that error conditions are handled correctly, and not attempted to be suppressed with a "@" character.  Backlight will force errors on every error condition.

3. TTG to review code about handling attempts to suppress errors.

I would suggest 1. and I'll also look at 3.

#28 2017-10-25 13:11:38

Ben

pjtraveler wrote:

Opening a ticket with WordFence.

However, a couple of  questions: 
1) Why is $OldFilename defined most of the time, but sometimes not?
3) The second token fail (line 856) is complaining about invalid characters.  Where did the parse come from that sent it bad characters in this case.

1) I need to review our code.  As far as I can tell, $old_filename is properly checked.  I will look at the exact lines in the version you are running.

3) Who knows.  This is a PHP script that checks for PHP within attachments.  It's likely choking on the image attachments, and attempting to suppress errors rather than handling them gracefully.  See my comment on third-party code, above.

#29 2017-10-26 07:28:24

Ben

On $old_filename: this is a logic error in our code.  It appears to have no bearing on functionality other than raising errors in the log file.  If it had affected functionality then all attempts to publish new photos would fail.

On error suppression: I am not able to differentiate between errors that the programmer attempted or didn't attempt to suppress.  I'm not sure that I'd want to accept the suppression, as it goes against the philosophy of Backlight to report all errors.

#30 2017-10-26 07:54:34

pjtraveler

Thanks for the update
And for what it is worth, as an ex development manager, and ex support manager, I concur not to suppress the errors.

Not every photo fails on $old_filename, just many.
The bad character error look like junk is being passed into rule.php

#31 2017-10-26 08:01:00

Ben

pjtraveler wrote:

Not every photo fails on $old_filename, just many.

I would suggest that none are failing due to $old_filename.  To test this, add a single image and publish it.  Check the logs.  If the image was published successfully and the old_filename error appears in the logs, then this suggests it does not cause an error in publishing.

Board footer