Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-05 10:59:17

gbbiv
Website

Lightroom Catalog Question...

I'm fairly new to Lightroom, finally switching over from Bibble/Aftershot and so that's part of what's brought me here.  One of the things I've been considering is how to Organize things and I've started of thinking I should create a Catalog for each year.... any comments on that?  In particular how would that impact my Backlight Galleries... I just realized that they are tied to a particular Catalog... I'm wondering if I should create a specific Backlight Catalog to do all my publishing from... maybe Export my images that I want in Galleries to a particular file structure and then just reference that in my Backlight Catalog... I'd appreciate any thoughts along this line before I go to far and have to re-do a bunch.  I already have a large set of galleries that are in an independent (of my RAWs and working sets) "web sharing" folder structure that I used for my previous gallery generator.

#2 2017-10-05 18:53:39

markh
Website

Re: Lightroom Catalog Question...

Opinions seem to differ wildly. Here's mine: I use a single LR catalog and have 17 years worth of images in it. It's huge! I use collections in LR extensively, handy because a single image can be in many different collections. I use many, many instances of Backlight Publisher to control where online images end up. I tried multiple LR catalogs once and found they quickly became unmanageable. Oh, and I backup that catalog every time LR exits. I've had to use that backup on more than one occasion due to clobbered hard drives and the like.
Regards Mark

Last edited by markh (2017-10-05 18:55:30)

#3 2017-10-05 20:41:42

gbbiv
Website

Thanks for the reply... trying to get things going in a limited time frame and I just jumped on something I saw someone else say or post somewhere in my searches... I think I'll revert to a single Catalog.

#4 2017-10-05 21:24:18

rod barbee
Website

I too use one catalog for my main work. (I also have a catalog purely for personal stuff: family, dog, yard projects, dog, remodeling projects, and dog.)

If you're new to Lightroom, one of the best resources is Victoria Bampton's Missing FAQ book.
Matt's got a link to it on the blog: http://theturninggate.net/blog/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2017-10-05 22:18:24

gbbiv
Website

Thanks... I'll check it out!

#6 2017-10-06 00:31:40

gbbiv
Website

I found a way to merge catalogs is there a way to get the Album Settings for Publisher from one to the other?

#7 2017-10-06 00:52:53

rod barbee
Website

I've not tried merging catalogs, so I don't know which settings might get moved or merged.

But you can try using the Lightroom Voyager plug-in to move published collections from one catalog to another:
https://alloyphoto.com/plugins/lrvoyager/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#8 2017-10-07 04:31:51

gbbiv
Website

I did try the plug-in... more just to know what options in might provide in the future than anything. 

It seemed to work fairly well overall... I haven't tried publishing with one of the migrated galleries yet but everything looks good.

Board footer