Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-09 05:21:16

Aisling

Bluehost Site Backup & Restore

Hi Guys,

My site is running great so far although I've yet to finish updating it to Backlight (work in progress!).  Its hosted with Bluehost as recommended and due for renewal soon so I'm wondering do you recommend the Site Backup & Restore Pro or is the Basic sufficient?  Before switching to Backlight from CE4 I tried to use the Pro to download my files to have them as a back up but it wouldn't work and they told me it was probably because the site is too big (there are lots of galleries and photos!) so to just use ftp instead.  So now its up for renewal and I'm not sure if its worth paying extra for?  They have told me the Pro will allow customers to restore databases and individual files - is this something I may need to be able to do? 
Any advice would be appreciated as I don't really understand it all so don't know what I need in case I ever have a problem with the site.

Thanks again for all your work I'm looking forward to playing around more with Backlight when I get the time!

Regards,
Aisling.

#2 2017-08-09 05:55:27

Daniel Leu
Website

Re: Bluehost Site Backup & Restore

Personally, I prefer to take care of the backup myself. And with Backlight, it is sufficient to backup the backlight/data and backlight/custom folders. For convenience, I backup the entire backlight directory. In case of an issue, I can republish all the images from Lr. Obviously, there is a separate backup for my wordpress blog.

So for me, the basic Bluehost account works well.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#3 2017-08-09 05:58:32

Aisling

That's great, thank you very much for your reply!

#4 2017-08-09 10:31:01

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Further on from Daniel's (absolutely correct) remarks ...

As suggested, backlight/data and backlight/custom contain all of your site personalizations.

Lightroom IS your backup for your albums.

And your downloaded ZIP files are your backup of Backlight itself. That also goes for Wordpress, if you're using it.

So the only thing that remains then is your Wordpress database, and there are Wordpress plugins you can use to back that up.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#5 2017-08-11 18:19:02

Aisling

Hi Matthew,
Apologies for the delay in replying - thanks for your reply, it is reassuring although I hope I never have to upload all my photos a second time as it would take forever with our broadband speed!

Thanks again, Aisling.

Board footer