Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-01 07:26:42

gwlco
Website

new install files

When doing a new install you make a clear point not to copy over readme.txt, but make no point about copying index.php, what about that file?

#2 2017-08-01 07:51:33

rod barbee
Website

Re: new install files

If you're doing a new install, just upload the entire backlight/ folder and any modules purchased. If you have the Pages module, then upload the index.php and .htaccess files that sit alongside the backlight/ folder in the download.

And for updates, the point made is to not copy over the entire Backlight directory.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT replace the entire backlight directory!  Doing so will remove ALL data and settings!

There are several index.php files. In fact, I think there's one in just about every module folder along with the one in the backlight/ folder and the one that goes in the root of your site if you're using the Pages Module .

If you're replacing modules, then those index.php files get replaced. But unless specifically instructed to, you don't need to replace the index.php file that goes in the root of the site (for Pages) or the one in the backlight/ folder.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-08-01 08:00:16

gwlco
Website

I am constructing a completely new backlight installation from scratch and not trying to save any data from the first one I built but in a folder underneath public_html as follows:
public_html/newback
So do I load all of the files except the readme.txt into that folder - public_html/newback?
If so, then what is the "Company url:" for the site and the "Site url:" in the backlight settings?

So the folder structure then reads "public_html/newback/backlight"

Last edited by gwlco (2017-08-01 08:02:54)

#4 2017-08-01 08:07:20

rod barbee
Website

the readme.txt is not needed and shouldn't be uploaded, it's just instructions, changes, etc.

if uploading to a subfolder only (you haven't created a sub-domain), the the url will be yoursite.com/newback/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer