Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-02-25 10:16:46

Jon@hpx
Website

Exporting wordpress theme

I've developed my backlight site and now I'm working on my blog. However, way back, when I first started a blog, I made a decision to run my blog on its own subdomain. I have the wordpress add-on installed on my development domain where my backlight site is. But I am having trouble exporting the wp theme to my blog site. It's probably an access issue, but I don't know where or how to resolve it.

Suggestions anybody?

BTW, I am ecstatic with Backlight. I've been using TTG plugins since before CE, almost from the beginning I think. I've been used to the tediousness of building templates and so on in the Lightroom web module. But wow! Backlight is so much easier and faster. I rebuilt my whole web site in no time at all. And the CE4 cart imported easily. It's not on my production site yet. But all I need do now is test the cart, which I don't think will be a problem and get my blog looking the same as the galleries.

Thanks Matt and everyone else involved in its development.

Jon

#2 2017-02-25 10:53:09

rod barbee
Website

Re: Exporting wordpress theme

It looks to me that the theme can only be exported into the same domain as your Backlight installation. I've not been able to export it to another domain even by filling out the full url to a WordPress installation.

One thing you could do is install WordPress into a sub-folder of your Backlight domain (for example, /blog/)
Then go ahead and export the theme to that installation. You can then download the theme to your computer and upload it to your current WP installation. Kind of a round-about workaround and probably not the best way to go.

A better option: Install Backlight in your blog subdomain and export from there.

In your main domain you can export your page template and then import that template into the Backlight installation in your blog domain. Then create the WordPress them and export the theme to WordPress.

Maybe Matt and Ben will have a better idea.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-02-25 11:15:01

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Moving files across subdomains can be tricky for a number of reasons, cross-domain security issues among them. Ben might have some workaround to offer, but I don't think Backlight is really able to interact with WordPress in such a configuration, because of these issues.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2017-02-25 11:50:56

Jon@hpx
Website

I was slowly coming to Rod's idea when I got his reply. And I understand Matt's point perfectly. It's sort of like having to upload a lightroom gallery to a password protected server directory. You need a whole authentication routine which I presume is pretty involved.

What did I do? I simplified things a bit. Rather than going to the trouble of installing wordpress, I simply faked the directory path. I created wp-content and theme folders on the same domain as backlight. Didn't need any content in those folders. Defined my blog in backlight settings as existing on the backlight domain (even though it doesn't). And voila! an exported theme. All the export wordpress theme function needs is a path, it apparently doesn't check to see if there is actually a wordpress installation.

Now all I have to do, I think, is download the backlight theme and then upload to my actual blog site.

Thanks.

#5 2017-02-25 12:00:20

Jon@hpx
Website

Update. Instead of downloading to my hard drive and re-uploading, I simply copied over the files from one subdomain to the other through my Parallels Panel (website administration). Piece of cake. I see it in my Themes on my blog and have been looking at through the preview function in Wordpress and everything looks good.

#6 2017-02-25 16:50:36

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I would be wary of that. The WordPress theme does reach into Backlight's assets repository for some files. If the theme cannot find those files where they're supposed to be, then you may have some issues.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2017-02-25 22:28:28

rod barbee
Website

I recently updated my ttg-tips.com WordPress site to a Backlight based theme. Previously it was running on a theme created by CE4 Theme for WordPress.

The way I did it was to first set up a Backlight installation locally in WAMP to design the page template. When that was done, I exported the template and imported it into the ttg-tips installation of Backlight. I created the theme, exported that to WordPress, and activated it in. Then it was just a matter of repopulating the sidebar with widgets.

That worked great. After that I could go into the ttg-tips Backlight installation and make any tweaks needed. Also needed to tweak some of the custom css.

Having Backlight installed in your WordPress domain will make it much easier to make an needed changes to your theme. And, as Matt said, there are files in Backlight the theme may need.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2017-02-26 04:05:11

Jon@hpx
Website

Yes. Matt's right. 99%, it seemed, of the transfer worked fine. But there were some problems that I had to try fixing with custom css or even getting into the functions.php file. And I think I managed to fix them, but I thought I would try Rod's suggestion of loading backlight and the wordpress module into my blog domain and transferring the page template from my web site. Then in the blog instance of backlight, I created and exported the wordpress theme. I created a child theme in case I had to do other tweaks, but there was no need (well at least so far!). Other than, as Rod reports, having to repopulate the side bar with the widgets. Still having a child theme might prove of value some day. So I have left it as is.

Useful learnings. Thanks.

#9 2017-02-26 05:40:07

rod barbee
Website

I'm using a child theme so I can add some functionality, like adding the author name to a post.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer