Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-26 19:44:57

mshandmeh
Website

Wordpress Theme - Tray01 blank

I have migrated my site to Backlight and activated the Backlight TTG Theme in WP. When I checked the live preview it showed both the main copy area and Tray 01 exactly as I would have liked, with the widgets, tags and all those kinds of things down the right hand side. At this point I was very very happy!!

So I accepted and saved this. However when I looked in the normal web view of my blog page the right hand tray 01 was blank. The main copy area containing the blogs was there, with the correct menu bar, but no widgets. Very odd?

Since everything was fine in live preview I assumed that something went wrong somewhere in the saving process so I went back to the old theme and saved that - it was as it should have been, then I went back to the new theme and this time live preview had tray01 blank.

I saved that as the old theme just led to a dead end as far as the menus were concerned, which with the benefit of hindsight was not a good idea! So now I have a theme which has all the right menus and look, but no right column with widgets. And of course admin log-in is no longer visible which did not cross my mind at the time.

What do you think I need to do to fix this? Thanks for any help. I have also got to work out how to log in!

Otherwise I am really happy with Backlight. It's so easy to make changes, super responsive and a dream to use.

http://picsbymike.co.uk/

Mike

#2 2017-01-26 22:09:19

rod barbee
Website

Re: Wordpress Theme - Tray01 blank

Did you assign any widgets to the widget areas in WordPress?

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2017-01-26 22:45:48

mshandmeh
Website

Hi Rod

Thanks for getting back to me.

Within WP for my original theme I had assigned widgets, pages and various other things to the right hand column. The fact that they showed up in the live preview led me to believe that they would be carried over to the new theme as all that stuff lives in WP. I did not reassign or rebuild the widget area after switching to the BL theme. Should I have done that?

In any case, shouldn't the admin log-in appear there automatically - I don't remember how it got there - it was three years or so ago that I built the original blog page and those memory cells have long died off!

Mike

#4 2017-01-26 22:59:55

mshandmeh
Website

OK - I was being stupid - assigning widgets all over again to rebuild the page seems to be working. Don't know why I never tried that!

Thanks for the prompt, and thanks again for replying so quickly - you guys really do give a lot of help and it is much appreciated.

Mike

#5 2017-01-26 23:02:16

rod barbee
Website

I did not reassign or rebuild the widget area after switching to the BL theme. Should I have done that?

You might have to. Just take a look.

In any case, shouldn't the admin log-in appear there automatically - I don't remember how it got there - it was three years or so ago that I built the original blog page and those memory cells have long died off!

The only reason that the login would appear is if you've included the Meta widget in the sidebar. The fact that it's not appearing there seems to indicate that you need to reassign the widgets.

so just log in to your blog and assign widget areas. You don't need the log-in link to do so, just add /wp-admin to the end of the blog url.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2017-01-26 23:24:04

mshandmeh
Website

Thanks Rod for being so patient! That's done the trick.

Mike

Board footer