Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-12-01 03:20:01

trummonte
Website

Vegas slideshow on home page not showing

I saw mention of this in previous posts, but can't seem to come up with a fix. I have a gallery with two images (which have no captions or titles) setup for testing. The slideshow works just fine on the About page, but does not on the Home page. Checking the source code shows that the Vegas script is being loaded. Any ideas?

My test site is: https://portfolios.montetrumbull.com/

Thanks - Monte

Last edited by trummonte (2016-12-01 03:23:32)

#2 2016-12-01 03:42:35

charlie.choc
Website

Re: Vegas slideshow on home page not showing

Shows up when I look at it, maybe you just need to clear caches.

#3 2016-12-01 03:57:16

trummonte
Website

Thanks for testing it Charlie. I cleared all caches and tried it in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge. It still doesn't show up for me.

Monte

#4 2016-12-01 04:05:55

rod barbee
Website

it's working for me too Monte. It took a little time to load, but it's working in Firefox, Edge, Opera, and Chrome. It too, the longest to load in Chrome.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-12-01 04:16:35

trummonte
Website

Hey Rod. That's interesting. It loads just fine on the About page but nothing on the Home page. I tried it on both my tablet and desktop computer and nothing happens there either...

Monte

#6 2016-12-01 04:47:30

charlie.choc
Website

Also works fine in Safari on my iMac and iPhone...

#7 2016-12-01 04:53:22

trummonte
Website

Thanks much for testing things Charlie and Rod and making it pretty clear that the problem was on my end. Even with clearing my template cache and browser cache, it never showed up. I ended up deleting the default Home page and creating a new one. It is working now! Time to move on...

Monte

#8 2016-12-01 12:36:39

SunFoxNC

I've noticed intermittent problems with the Vegas full screen slideshow on the four of the five sections of http://www.sunfox.com/ that uses it.

Sometimes it will load just fine, sometimes the page just sits there and doesn't run the slideshow.   Sometimes kicking the refresh button will work, sometimes it won't.

Watching the page load under Firefox's debugger, the times where you just see the burger menu and the masthead show that the Vegas scripts don't completely finish loading.  I can't tell if there is a race condition in the page for scripts being loaded or my host (Lunarpages) just failing to serve up the scripts.

Chrome also exhibits this behaviour but it's also wonderfully inconsistent as to when it will do it.  Clearing template caches and browser caches might fix things in the short term but after a while it goes back to the intermittent load failures.

When the slideshow kicks off properly, you can see a boatload more scripts get served up and loaded and then it's usually OK as long as the browser isn't closed.

My gut is telling me that the shared server I'm on is probably dropping requests from the initial page load but there's nothing in the logs that prove this and no obvious Javascript nastiness appearing in the debugger.  I'm debating about moving one of my sites over to Bluehost but recent posts about their stability and problems with EMAIL has made me hold off for now.

Sorry about the rambling (working on about five hours sleep in two days)...just thought I'd throw my two cents in and hope that maybe it turns out to be something simple in code after all.

#9 2016-12-01 14:14:38

Matthew
Administrator
Website

I didn't even have to get into your slideshows. The masthead image in your header is intermittently failing to load when I visit the site. I reload, it comes, it goes, it comes again, it goes again ...

Backlight is not at fault here. Your server is just doing a really crappy job of consistently loading resources. So yes, I would venture to say that we can pin this one on your hosting. I personally have Backlight running on two separate services, Bluehost and MediaTemple, as well as locally on MAMP, and I have not seen this behavior in any of these environments.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#10 2016-12-01 22:58:00

charlie.choc
Website

No problems with the homepage slideshow on my LAMP server either.

#11 2016-12-02 22:56:35

SunFoxNC

Matthew wrote:

I didn't even have to get into your slideshows. The masthead image in your header is intermittently failing to load when I visit the site. I reload, it comes, it goes, it comes again, it goes again ...

Backlight is not at fault here. Your server is just doing a really crappy job of consistently loading resources. So yes, I would venture to say that we can pin this one on your hosting. I personally have Backlight running on two separate services, Bluehost and MediaTemple, as well as locally on MAMP, and I have not seen this behavior in any of these environments.

For the time being, I've killed the masthead image on all of the full-screen slideshow page templates and cleared the cache.  Firefox took a bit more convincing (had to hit reload twice on most of them) but Chrome seemed to pick up the changes straightaway.  The masthead images were nice but I'm more interested in the slideshow kicking off consistently... smile

I had noticed the server I'm on having occasional goofy moments ever since Lunarpages rebuilt it about a year or so ago but hadn't really had the time until now to try to debug what was going on.  That particular site is 50GB of images with five generations of HTML templates since it went live in 2003 so it's not the easiest thing to just pick up and move.

That was the primary reason for how I designed the Backlight templates in play on sunfox.com...I didn't wish to try to completely rebuild the whole site but rather get Backlight to take over from CE4 (which is the 2015 content) and the previous pages/galleries.  I might revisit the idea of doing a full rebuild if Google would ever get off their duffs and finish the build out of Fiber here in Raleigh but for now I'm very happy with Backlight ruling the roost and pointing at the old galleries even if it's not necessarily the most pretty site out there (dammit Jim...I'm a database weenie, not a web designer!  wink

I just created a new hosting account over at Bluehost and will be migrating the Red Vixen Studios site from it's current location.  As I've happily gone all-in on Backlight and I'm looking forward to integrating CRG and Cart for online sales, that's the one site that will be really critical to ensure that the hosting is in ordnung!

Board footer