Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-05 16:56:18

Volker Dobler
Website

From test environment to running environment

Dear all,

I do have a question that I could not find in the document.

Learning, that I should not use the current CE4 system with the new backlight in one directory, I moved backlight to s sub-domain and will install the new system there.

But if I move this test environment to the active running system, what do I have to copy? Is there any documentation, which folders or files I do have to copy to my second "backlight"-running system? Or is the only way to copy the full backlight folder?

Thanks
Volker

#2 2016-05-05 17:03:02

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: From test environment to running environment

Hi Volker,

You should be able to move Backlight around without issue. There's just two gotchas:

1. Make sure to update Backlight => Settings with the current location.

2. You shouldn't move published galleries; they should be un-published from the old location, then re-published to the new location. For this reason, if setting up a test site, you should work with just one or two test galleries, then publish your actual portfolio live at your permanent location.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2016-05-05 17:36:05

Volker Dobler
Website

Hi Matt,

thanks - so I will use the sub-domain to build up the look of my current CE4 page and copy the backlight directory to the running system.
After this I will migrate the galleries to the backlight system.

As I don't have much traffic on my side, it will run smoothly :-)

Again, thanks for the work and the new version - looking forward to the next modules (especially as I use the wordpress bundle too).

Have a nice day,
Volker

#4 2016-05-05 20:21:57

rod barbee
Website

One other gotcha is the mages uploaded from Templates > Uploaded Images. From my testing, any images uploaded for use as a favicon or masthead will need to be uploaded again.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#5 2016-11-28 06:08:53

bcobb10b

Matthew wrote:

Hi Volker,

You should be able to move Backlight around without issue. There's just two gotchas:

1. Make sure to update Backlight => Settings with the current location.

2. You shouldn't move published galleries; they should be un-published from the old location, then re-published to the new location. For this reason, if setting up a test site, you should work with just one or two test galleries, then publish your actual portfolio live at your permanent location.

Let me expand on the above and make sure I am headed in the correct direction to meet my goal. 

My goal is to upgrade my Wordpress based site containing a CE4 gallery to a site that is a Backlight + Pages site that contains a Wordpress blog.

I wish to do this without moving Wordpress.  Wordpress is easy enough to move, but it appears from Matthew's comment above that it is easier to move backlight than to move Wordpress.

* Where I am now *

I have the latest Backlight, Pages, and Wordpress modules and have tested them in a test site.  They work together well. The test site is set up as you suggested with its root folder containing the following:
- backlight folder  (including the Wordpress and Pages modules)
- galleries folder
- wordpress folder
- index.php (the Backlight version)

I have upgraded my existing production "Wordpress site with CE4 gallery" to be a "Wordpress site with Backlight gallery".   Wordpress now uses the Backlight generated template.  It works well.  Pages is not installed at this time.  The Wordpress menu "Gallery" entry points users to the Backlight gallery.

My production Wordpress site is located in a directory named "wrdp" that lives one level below the "home" directory and contains:
- backlight folder (live)
- galleries folder (live)
- publisher folder (now obsolete)
- ttg-be folder (now obsolete)
- all of the wordpress files and folders including the Wordpress index.php file (all live)

The domain name is pointed to the "home/wrdp" directory.

What I plan to do is recreate the situation in my test directory in my "home" directory:

- move the backlight folder up one level to the "home" directory
- move the galleries folder up one level to the "home" directory
- update the backlight settings and pointers
- point Lightroom to the new backlight location
- point the domain name to the "home" directory
- install the Pages module
- add "blog" to the backlight menu and point it to the Wordpress directory
- get on with tweaking Backlight and Wordpress to work together.

Is this the easiest way to accomplish my goal?  Is there another, better way?  Have I missed anything?

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Sandy Springs GA

#6 2016-11-28 07:45:12

rod barbee
Website

This looks like it should work. Just make sure that the folder containing your WordPress installation is not the "home" directory as there will be a conflict between WordPress' index.php file and Backlight's index.php file.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#7 2016-11-28 07:50:02

bcobb10b

rod barbee wrote:

This looks like it should work. Just make sure that the folder containing your WordPress installation is not the "home" directory as there will be a conflict between WordPress' index.php file and Backlight's index.php file.

Thanks Rod -- I do intend to keep them in separate folders.  Will give it a shot and see how it works!!

Bill

#8 2016-11-28 10:51:08

bcobb10b

You guys are SO COOL!!!  The process worked like a charm!  Only change I made was to redirect the domain name earlier so I could update the Backlight settings.

I'm off and running to fine tune the Backlight - Pages - Wordpress interaction.

Thanks Rod, and a big thanks to Matthew and Ben for a wonderful product!!

Yeehaa!

Bill
Sandy Springs GA

#9 2016-11-28 15:03:05

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Glad to hear it, Bill. Be sure to share the finished site with us when you're ready.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer