Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-15 17:01:03

paulg

Update info required from suspect email

I only purchased and downloaded Backlight+pages yesterday and was rather surprised to see (in my spam box) an email stating there has been an upgrade issued.
The email has me worried that it may not be genuine 1) it just says "Hi Mr" not actually stating my name, 2) it gives no details of the changes, it just says contact the merchant - not even naming TTG, and finally it wasn't sent by TTG but somebody/something called SendOwl.
Needless to say I haven't clicked on any of the links but would be grateful if someone from TTG could confirm its genuine and if so, what are the changes in the upgrade since yesterday
Paul

#2 2016-10-15 17:33:00

lofty
Website

Re: Update info required from suspect email

Hi Paul,

Send Owl is the way that TTG distributes it's updates and fixes for us to download.

You should have had an email from TTG pointing to the TTG Blog which tells you about the changes, along with the email from Send Owl. The Link in the send Owl email is personalised so that you only get access to the updates for the product(s) you have purchased.

#3 2016-10-15 18:13:36

Matthew
Administrator
Website

The reason is says "Hi MR" is because the name you provided on the order is "MR I P G*******" (masking surname for privacy).

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#4 2016-10-15 22:57:47

paulg

Thanks Lofty and Matthew for your replies, at least I know know the email is genuine.
Matthew, I find the term Hi MR very disrespectful, I don't know if Send Owl is a free service or if you have to pay for it, but for you to allow your customers to be addressed in such a way doesn't do much for your company name or reputation. I have never come across such a thing from other companies however large or small and I certainly wouldn't dream of addressing any customer of mine in such a way.
Paul

#5 2016-10-15 23:34:57

rod barbee
Website

As Matt explained, you're being addressed as "MR" because that is what you provided when making the order. The emails I get start with "Hi Rod,"
I see nothing disrespectful about that.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#6 2016-10-15 23:40:24

gengl
Website

Perhaps, had you entered your first name rather than the "Mr", the automated emailing system would have been nicer. Matthew doesn't sit up all night individually addressing email from a printed list- the SendOwl system presumes you entered your first name and uses what it can extract from your registration information to attempt to personalize what is sent to you.

Board footer