Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-19 21:58:05

PhilippeH

I do not understand

Hello,

I am quite surprised that you quickly close the last topic I posted.

I invested some money in Backlight, so you can replace EC4, and take advantage of advanced and speed of use.

I continue to say I am amazed at the difference in quality between different browsers. Problem that one can also notice when you open an image Backlight demonstration site in different browsers.

Another example: If I open a picture of Rod's personal site, which has been manufactured with EC4, the images are identical between Firefox and Chrome.

If I do the same thing again with Rod's site, but the demonstration Backlight, image quality is different between between Firefox and Chrome, despite the resolution of some images.

Rod sorry for taking your sites by example. I hope you do not mind.

Philippe

#2 2016-09-20 15:46:10

MoritzCH
Website

Re: I do not understand

Hi Philippe,

the problem is the different way the browsers have been coded. I did the same test with the Backlight test page (IE 11 and Firefox 48.0.2) and have not seen any noticeable differences. Of course it could depend on different browser releases and how they render pictures.
You can do this test on your own --> Open "http://test.vuedailleurs.com/galleries/ … e-0018.jpg" in different browsers and see how they render it (IE11 = upper left corner, FF 48.0.2 = center).

Matt had explained this in the previous thread but (I had the same problem) it's pretty hard to understand why this is happening. Each browser is rendering picture in a different way, interpret CSS files differently and (as stated above).
So the backlight base code IS different from the CE4 one and this could cause this "problems". Finding and eliminating the problem is nearly impossible. We all paid money for Backlight but to be honest it's worth its price.

If you have a look at the "Showcase Forum" and realise how many of them are using Backlight to sell their images this software is far away from being crap.

So in summary:
Matt and his team did a great job on Backlight (working out of the box) and it is impossible to render pictures with the same quality and size on every browser (even IE 10 and IE 11 render pictures differently).
If you feel bothered by this "problem" you can either insert a little text like "best display with Fireforx 48.0.2", switch to another software (maybe they are better but I don't think so) or just deal with it smile
I deal with it, you can't satisfy every single visitor of your page smile

Cheers
Moritz

PS: a good example for this --> http://breezi.com/how/browser-differences/

Last edited by MoritzCH (2016-09-20 15:49:38)

#3 2016-09-20 16:08:39

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: I do not understand

PhilippeH, you are flirting with a forum ban. I closed your previous topic because it was a duplicate of an existing topic, of which you were fully aware. I had already explained everything there is to say on the matter in that original thread.

The "problem" you are describing is NOT a Backlight problem. Backlight uses standard methods of displaying images via HTML5, CSS and Javascript, and there's nothing unusual about any of it. Your observations result from a combination of factors, including the browser's own image rendering, the native dimensions of the image being viewed, code-based scaling of the image (its dimensions, relative to the dimensions and screen resolution of the display) and other factors that are NOTHING TO DO WITH BACKLIGHT.

You're publishing a website, not a coffee table book. And even if you were publishing a coffee table book, there would very likely be slight differences between one print run and the next. We can control the source; we have no control over the destination, whether the site will be viewed in Chrome or Firefox or in Safari on an iPhone. That's why web standards exist, and why we embrace them in creating our application.

Now I'm closing this thread too, because this conversation is closed.

PS: Moritz, THANK YOU!

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer