Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-07 19:28:48

Mimmo
Website

Delete Album

Hello
how can I delete this album? http://www.foto-mimmo.ch/LG/galleries/
With LG says that this album is no longer available?

#2 2016-09-07 19:58:34

MoritzCH
Website

Re: Delete Album

Is there a TTG Publishing Service (Lightroom) pointing to this URL?
Check it via Backlight Panel --> Publisher --> Top-level Galleries, what do you have there?

#3 2016-09-07 20:14:35

Mimmo
Website

Sali MoritzCH
redest Du deutsch?

#4 2016-09-07 20:20:36

MoritzCH
Website

Salü, ja tu ich wink Forensprache ist aber eigentlich Englisch, denke aber Matt hat nichts dagegen wenn ich dir hier auf Deutsch helfe. Kann dir vermutlich eh nur bedingt helfen, aber probieren wir es mal. Die Gallerie wird ja per Lightroom "gefüttert" und dafür haste ja wahrscheinlich einen Veröffentlichungsdienst erstellt. Ist das so und falls ja, ist dort die Gallerie noch vorhanden?

@Matthew, Ben & Rod
Gonna try to help him on German in this specific case. If this is not okay for you we will switch to English.

#5 2016-09-07 20:22:28

Mimmo
Website

Thank you,
I have the albums can be deleted!
Best regards

#6 2016-09-07 20:26:53

MoritzCH
Website

You're welcome!

#7 2016-09-07 20:28:48

Mimmo
Website

Sali MoritzCH,

ja habe via Lightroom (Mac) "gefüttert" aber via FTP Server gelöscht, aber dank Dir habe ich die Problem gelöscht!

Fidst Du nicht das die Upgrade auf 1.04 sehr kompliziert ist?

#8 2016-09-07 20:30:06

Mimmo
Website

Sali Moritz CH,
indeed have "fed" via Lightroom (Mac) but via FTP Server deleted, but thanks to you I have cleared the problem!
Fidst not you that the upgrade to 1.04 is very complicated?

Google Translator....

#9 2016-09-07 20:42:20

MoritzCH
Website

I used CE4 before and trying to migrate my page to Backlight at the moment. Upgrading Backlight needs a bit of work but a CE4 update was way more complicated.
Due the fact you are using Backlight for a professional page (work) I would recommend to upgrade only when expecting new features or important bugfixes. Before every update perform a full backup in case of any trouble you might get into.

(Habe früher CE4 Pages, Publisher und Co benutzt, da war ein Update viel komplizierter! Kann nur empfehlen vor jedem Update ein vollständiges Backup zu machen um im Falle des Falles dieses einfach zurückspielen zu können. Wichtiger ist aber ein Update nur zu machen wenn wichtige Funktionen hinzukommen oder Bugfixes eingespielt werden.)

Last edited by MoritzCH (2016-09-08 17:41:20)

#10 2016-09-08 17:06:07

Rainer Goergen
Website

Was ist daran kompliziert? Die in der readme Datei bezeichneten Verzeichnisse werden doch nur per FTP über die mit dem gleichen Namen hoch geladen und überschreiben die alten Dateien. Wer natürlich den kompletten Download hochlädt hat Pech gehabt.
Ich weiss auch nicht warum immer das ganze Paket angeboten wird. Wäre besser nur die entsprechenden Verzeichnisse mit ihren Dateien.

Rainer

#11 2016-09-08 17:41:04

MoritzCH
Website

Mit Backlight ist das so, gebe ich dir Recht. Früher zu CE4 Zeiten war das komplizierter smile
Ansonsten hilft die Readme wirklich

#12 2016-09-09 01:36:04

Daniel Leu
Website

Rainer Goergen wrote:

Ich weiss auch nicht warum immer das ganze Paket angeboten wird. Wäre besser nur die entsprechenden Verzeichnisse mit ihren Dateien.

Rainer

Das wäre eine Möglickeit, aber neue Benutzer brauchen alle Dateien. Und wenn jemand ein Update überspringt, würden ihm unter Umständen einige Files fehlen.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com
My digital playground (eg, Backlight tips&tricks): lab.DanielLeu.com

#13 2016-09-09 08:38:54

Ben

It's a tricky one.  Let's say we packaged up Backlight version 1.n with both the full files, and a set of files that differ from Backlight version 1.m.
We have no way of knowing how various FTP clients will handle dropping in for example a backlight/framework directory that only includes some of the directories and files.  Some clients may delete the full backlight/framework and upload only a partial set.  Result: a broken site.
We have already encountered support issues where this broke when replacing the *full* directory, so replacing partial directories is a support headache waiting to happen.

Another approach from the end user is to manually update the files as found in the delta release.  Again, there's too much room for users to break the update.  The more manual the update, the more likely for things to go wrong.

One approach you could take is to run your own diff between releases, using an application such as FileMerge (a Mac app, there are equivalent applications for Windows), and then use the information from that to upload the files one-by-one.  It's often the case that only a small number of files have changed within each directory.  Do you think there would be value in our changelogs including a list of changed files?  Perhaps in a delta.txt sitting alongside the readme.txt file, so that the readme.txt doesn't become too bloated.

Edit:

Another approach is to maintain a copy of Backlight locally and sync the changes via your FTP application.  I do this with Transmit.  I'm sure other applications would support this.

For example, let's say we have a set of Backlight 1.0.3 files at /Users/you/ttg/backlight
You'd unzip 1.0.4 at /Users/you/ttg/ and then use your FTP to sync /Users/you/ttg/backlight/ with the /backlight directory on your server.  You would want to make sure the sync was *not* set to delete files not found at the destination, lest you remove /backlight/data/* files in the process.

#14 2016-09-09 08:48:44

Daniel Leu
Website

Ben wrote:

Do you think there would be value in our changelogs including a list of changed files?  Perhaps in a delta.txt sitting alongside the readme.txt file, so that the readme.txt doesn't become too bloated.

Ben, I think you are about to open a can of worms.... because once you create a delta.txt file, then the next step would be a request for an update script... followed by another request for a semi- automatic update option.... ;-)  That's something I would love to have.

In the meantime, I rather prefer to update 5 directories than 10 individual files. Updating a few files seem to be more error prone than a few top-level directories. And if something goes wrong with the update, it might be rather difficult to identify this.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#15 2016-09-09 09:23:44

Ben

I'd also like to have an automatic update.  That would require quite a lot of research and dev to do properly.    You're right about opening up a can of worms.

A major goal of Backlight was to set the core directories in stone as soon as possible, so that only directories under backlight/modules would be updated between minor releases.  There are far fewer files under those directories, making updating a quicker process.  (it would also make a more manageable target for automatic updates should we go down that path).  There is however a lot more to Backlight's core files, than to CE4's ttg-be, as Backlight includes the designer and publisher functionality, so that makes it more challenging to lock down the code and ensure it's relatively bug free.  1.0.4 Release 2 is the first time we've been able to make a modules-only update.

#16 2016-09-09 14:16:05

MoritzCH
Website

Well an (semi-)automatic update script is nice to have but not really necessarry. I agree with Daniel: Updating 5 folder is "better" than 10 individual files especially due the fact that there are some "non-IT geeks" using this masterpiece of software.
For me Backlight 1.0.4 is a huge step and definitely the way to go.

Maybe the dev team will think about a "wish list" to gather all the "nice to have options" for the further updates (example: captions @ Vegas slideshow and stuff like this).

#17 2016-09-09 15:10:11

Daniel Leu
Website

MoritzCH wrote:

Maybe the dev team will think about a "wish list" to gather all the "nice to have options" for the further updates (example: captions @ Vegas slideshow and stuff like this).

Matt and Ben collect feedback from the forum and it influences their development plan. So this is already happening.

Daniel Leu | Photography   
DanielLeu.com

#18 2016-09-09 20:21:56

Rainer Goergen
Website

I use Filezilla for Mac. After unzipping the downloaded file I copy the directories with the changed files via Finder over the directories on my local NAS Webserver (this is my test environment). If Backlight works correct, I transfer the same directories via Filezilla to my website by overwriting the old directories and files. No problens anymore.

Rainer

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-09-10 04:26:25)

#19 2016-09-09 22:33:48

speacock110

I used the same system, especially as I was developing my website. I use a combination of FileZilla and GoodSync. I would still like to do it this way however, I have just gone live with a Backlight managed site and I don't want to loose the feed back I now sync directly to my live site. Are there any files I can exclude from the sync that will not lose the feedback when I change the site design locally and sync, or are they in the same DB?

#20 2016-09-09 22:41:34

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Everything gets stored in /backlight/data. You should probably also protect /backlight/custom if you've done any work in there. Otherwise, the rest of it can be replaced, synced or whatever without concern.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#21 2016-09-10 00:35:00

speacock110

Sorry to be a bit more specific But if  a client is in the process of proving feedback using the managed option. can I upload any changes to my local version template settings or is cooler settings etc in a DB / same DB as the feedback.

#22 2016-09-10 00:46:42

SunFoxNC

For Windows, I've come to prefer BeyondCompare which makes updating Backlight trivial (once I got past some stupid filters I'd accidentally left in the profile I was cloning that skipped the skeleton .sq3 files, for instance).

What I do is this:

- Apply the Backlight update to the local filesystem which is usually a matter of just deleting directories in modules and copying over the new stuff.

- Kick off BeyondCompare with a "mirror right" profile that compares the local Backlight directory to the remote with the data subdirectory filtered out of the results.  This will identify anything on the remote side that differs from local which I can easily sanity check.  Click [Sync] and about a minute later it's done.

- Log into Backlight on the remote site and do the steps to update the databases, clear cache as directed in the update.

Would it be lovely to have something like Wordpress does where it updates the Wordpress code/installation from a remote server?  Yes...but I also know just how much work that would entail just for the base Backlight installation, to say nothing of all of the combinations including Cart and Theatre and whatever other add-ons will come.

In the mean time, I've never been a big fan of manually copying things round like we used to do when Oracle's patches before opatch were an executable and about 20 pages of manual instructions of scripts to reload (like the java subsystem, that one was always fun!) and administrative tasks to perform.   Ewww...bad memories resurfacing!  Oracle's patching system since gotten a lot better/easier (because Microsoft SQL Server was kicking their heineys in terms of administrative ease of use for years on end!) but it was not an easy project to pull off.

But Backlight's update is nothing compared to the nasty Oracle updates of yesteryear...I think most people would think features and bug fixes before worrying about making the patching hands-off... smile

Last edited by SunFoxNC (2016-09-10 00:49:15)

#23 2016-09-10 01:24:44

speacock110

I am hoping that Matthew is going to tell me that To keep all of the Feedback safe and up to date all I need to do is to exclude the backlight/data/client-response or the backlight/data/client-response/master.sq3 file. As it is only any client feedback or info i need to keep safe. All config and design is still changing as i learn and as updates with additional options are added.

#24 2016-09-10 11:33:11

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Feedback is kept in a separate database from designer templates, so there shouldn't be any overlap. Ben would know the specifics better than I, though.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#25 2016-09-10 13:32:46

Ben

Everything related to the Designer menu sits in backlight/data/designer/master.sq3
Everything related to the Client Response sits in backlight/data/client-response/master.sq3
Everything related to the Publisher (including. Albums, Photos and related Metadata) sits in backlight/data/publisher/master.sq3
Other settings, such as those used in Backlight > Settings, sits in backlight/data/admin/master.sq3

Board footer