Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-27 21:21:34

dchew
Website

Best Full Screen Image Ratio? Theater Vegas FS

Trying out the home page option for the full screen show. I like it so far but I'm trying to plan for the best crop so it appears "mostly-full-screen."

I know there is the option for Fit or Cover (I assume Repeat fills edges with another slice of the image). Is there a general rule for ratio these days with so many different formats and tool bars, side bars, ribbons and other junk people have in their browsers? Obviously I could do the 16:9 or 16:10, but that doesn't account for all that junk. For example, Safari on my MBP is about 1.8:1 because of tabs, favorites, toolbar and menu above that.

I'm looking for a ratio that would leave the least amount of blank space (Fit) or cropped away image (Cover) for the widest audience.

Dave

#2 2016-08-27 23:40:04

rod barbee
Website

Re: Best Full Screen Image Ratio? Theater Vegas FS

There probably is no ideal ratio, considering the shape of most phones versus the shape of a standard desktop monitor.
I'm using the standard 3:2 ratio with horizontal images in cover mode for my tests. Works great for the desktop and iPad in landscape orientation. Looks ok on iphone6 in landscape too.
When in portrait orientation however, the left and right of the images are cut off. I'm not really worrying about that since it's easy for viewers to change orientation of their device.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-08-28 01:02:44

dchew
Website

Re: Best Full Screen Image Ratio? Theater Vegas FS

Thanks Rod. I will keep them native ratio unless it is a pano or a portrait image that I really want to use. I those cases I'll make a virtual copy and crop it closer closer to 2:1 or 3:2 - ish. That way the image won't get so blown up in Cover mode.

Dave

Board footer