Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-05 21:49:05

tgalex
Website

Site Auto-refresh

Perhaps this topic has been covered but I can't seem to find it.  Is there an easy way to force a Backlight developed website to auto-refresh when someone visits it?  With content changing it would be nice to have the fresh content pulled up by the visitor instead of their cache if they had been to the site previously.  Thanks.

#2 2016-08-07 13:02:33

tgalex
Website

Re: Site Auto-refresh

Turns out after searching for a solution there does not appear to be an easy one.  The easiest is to append my site URL with a version number each time I do an update, but it really only works if someone were to pull it up from the most recent link.  Old links may pull from their cache and new items would be missed.  Seems like there should be an easier way but I've found none.  Here's an example of my appended URL for updates made this month; if anyone else finds a better way I can't wait to see it.

TerranceAlexander.com/?v=08.2016

#3 2016-08-07 13:05:36

tgalex
Website

Sorry - forgot the front end on the web address:

http://TerranceAlexander.com/?v=08.2016

#4 2016-08-07 17:01:02

Ben

Hi Terrance, this should already be happening.  The index page at TerranceAlexander responds correctly with non-caching headers, specifically:

Cache-Control:no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0

In my testing the browser refreshes the page markup from your server on each page load, implying that anything changes in the page itself, that the browser should see it.

Resources such as stylesheets and uploaded images are cached in the browser where possible.

Backlight does have it's own template caching system.  Cached templates are removed when they are changed in Designer.  There may be some scenarios that do not clear out the cache.  What aspect of the site have you been changing that has not been coming through on page refresh?

#5 2016-08-08 21:10:52

tgalex
Website

Good morning Ben - or is it evening over there? 

Maybe it has been because of the number of changes I've been doing tweaking colors on the site and adding another menu item, but as I have been running through the pages it seemed I had to do a manual refresh on every page I hit.  I would love to not need a version number on the darn thing and glad to see the no-cache command.  I have pretty much reached the end of the process on the tweaking, but of course there is always something new to try!  I'll try it going forward and see if there is any problem with the refresh.

Thanks for the feedback.

#6 2016-08-08 21:56:40

tgalex
Website

Ben - on another note, is there a way to have an album show up linked to a specific page but not show up in the galleries page?

#7 2016-08-08 22:04:20

Ben

Good evening Terry.  Most updates shouldn't need clearing of the cache.  If you're making a lot of changes then it can be a good idea to clear the template cache within Backlight, by visiting Designer > Templates > Clear Template Cache.

Albums can be hidden from the galleries page by checking the Hide from Album Set setting,  in the Features tab of the Album settings in Lighroom's Publisher.

#8 2016-08-09 21:22:35

tgalex
Website

excellent - the one place I failed to look!  Thanks for the help on all of this.  I think I'm finally ready to sit back and just shoot and update photos for a change - which of course is where I'd prefer to be anyway.  I think that's what I'm liking most about Backlight - once it gets set up the rest is such an easy solution linking direct to Lightroom.  Have a great day.

Board footer