Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-19 17:57:33

PhilippeH

Quality large images

Hello,

I think the quality of the great images in Google Chrome is less compared to Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.

I would put this order of quality, starting with the best: Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Chrome last.
I am surprised because in my current site (built with EC4), the images are of the same quality in all browsers!

Does anyone have any idea of the problem?

Philippe

Google Google

Firefoxt Firefox

#2 2016-07-19 19:22:27

Ben

Re: Quality large images

Hi Philippe, can you post a link to the gallery so we can look at the same images?

#3 2016-07-19 20:07:22

PhilippeH

#4 2016-07-19 20:19:24

Ben

Thanks for the link.  On my retina Macbook Pro, the images look sharp and identical between Firefox, Safari and Chrome.

Has all your testing been on a Mac?

#5 2016-07-19 20:35:44

PhilippeH

Mac (Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Eizo ColorEdge screen) and PC (Samsung screen).
But not Retina except on MacBook Pro !

Philippe

Last edited by PhilippeH (2016-07-19 20:38:20)

#6 2016-07-19 20:50:28

Ben

I hope others can chip in on what they see.  Were those screen shots of images that had been adjusted to fill the frame, or of the photos after clicking the "+" cursor on the photo?  How about if you open the photo by itself (http://test.vuedailleurs.com/galleries/ … ge-014.jpg) in a new tab?  Is the difference in sharpness just as pronounced between browsers?

#7 2016-07-19 21:13:46

PhilippeH

By opening the link you provided from a PC, Picture and of equal quality (good) in different browsers!

#8 2016-07-19 21:20:50

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Browsers are different, built on different engine, built of different code. That extends to each browsers' rendering of images. There was a time, for example, that Firefox's image rendering was a hot topic because it was the only browser that rendered images using the images' own color space profile, rather than the browser's generic color space. I've done a bit of Googling to find more information on the matter, but haven't come up fairly empty handed. This issue isn't much discussed, because browsers simply do what they do, and there's absolutely nothing to be done about it. You can control your own experience by using your preferred browser, but there's no way of controlling your visitors' experiences, short of old-school "This site looks best in [favorite browser]!" messages on your pages.

Further, if your images are being scaled up or down from their actual size, there will be a loss of detail. Different browsers will scale images differently, so a scaled image might look better in one browser than it does in another. If one browser's UI takes up more or less space than another's, that will also impact the amount of screen real estate utilized for the Web view, and therefore available to the image display, so you might be viewing an image at 90% scale in Chrome and 97% scale in Safari, so there would be a difference in scaling.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#9 2016-07-19 21:43:45

PhilippeH

Where I am surprised is that my site built with EC4 and the test site with Backlight what are the exact same images that come from the same Lightroom folders.

With http://phoneographie.com (EC4) large images are of the same quality in all browsers!

With http://test.vuedailleurs.com (Backlight) the same images that come from the same files that are not only more of the same quality in different browsers!

And this with different computers and different IP addresses

#10 2016-07-20 16:27:53

PhilippeH

Ben wrote:

I hope others can chip in on what they see.  Were those screen shots of images that had been adjusted to fill the frame, or of the photos after clicking the "+" cursor on the photo?  How about if you open the photo by itself (http://test.vuedailleurs.com/galleries/ … ge-014.jpg) in a new tab?  Is the difference in sharpness just as pronounced between browsers?

Hi Ben,
Unfortunately I do not speak English, and sometimes Google translation I have some problems to understand!
Can you explain how you've done to me, to get this picture is good, because when I open it in Chrome, it is better than the picture on my test site.
That would mean that it is not from the browser!

Thank you in advance.

Philippe

#11 2016-07-20 20:21:42

markh
Website

When I open PhilippeH's link in Firefox and Google simultaneously on the same PC the image in Firefox is much better quality than the one in Chrome. Curious. No?  Ben asked for a little help so I'm chipping in.
Regards, Mark

Board footer