Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-06-16 12:13:43

ttg-jim

Renaming album names using ftp and other ways to spoil your day

I created a large album online for one of my clients.  It took a long time to upload because of the godaddy security issue (you must be a hacker if you upload more than 20-25 images at a time - BlueHost here we come).  The next day I get a message from my client to say that I have called it the wrong thing and therefore people won't be able to find it or will get confused.  So, being away from my home computer, I decide to just go into my site through ftp and change the name of the folder (album) because that's what I thought auto-index did!

BAD IDEA!

This didn't change anything from the clients perspective, and worse, made all the images disappear (not visible, files still on server).  So I went hunting through every file I could find on my site, hoping to find the one(s) with the offending folder (album) name in, and change it there instead. Well, I couldn't find it.

When I got home 12 hours later, I changed the name of the album in LR. That's all it does! Then I changed the Album Title and this shows the correct album name to the client, but the links are still wrong.  Finally I change the slug, and now everything is hunky dory again.

So my question is, if I need to monkey with the folder structure (album or album sets) when I don't have access to lightroom, which are the files that have this magic content and where are they?!

#2 2016-06-16 13:02:05

rod barbee
Website

Re: Renaming album names using ftp and other ways to spoil your day

I believe all that's in the database. You'd probably have to manipulate that. Which runs an excellent chance of making things even worse unless you know what you're doing. But it looks like you could just edit the offending set or album and change the slug in the database to match what you did via ftp.
If you think you might need to do this, I'd suggest creating a test site in a sub-domain and practice there first.
But here's how to get to the database: http://ttg-tips-and-tricks.barbeephoto. … -database/

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-06-18 03:36:46

ttg-jim

I'll try and avoid this in the future. I had no idea a central database was even involved.

If I ever find myself in need of making changes on the road I now know the risks involved!

Thanks Rod

#4 2016-06-18 03:41:47

ttg-jim

As an aside, if I wanted to add or delete images in an existing album by ftp, would that be ok without involving the database?

#5 2016-06-18 04:17:20

rod barbee
Website

that would probably put your catalog and your albums out of sync. The images are also registered in the database

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2016-06-18 14:49:24

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Bottom line, when managing assets from Publish Services, don't touch them with FTP at all.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#7 2018-05-01 09:23:09

JBL

I miss named an album in LR publisher. I renamed it in LR, and republished meta data only. The title on the web did not change. Do I have to delete the album, and then create a new one with the correct name? It's a large album. I'm using Backlight.

Last edited by JBL (2018-05-01 09:23:47)

#8 2018-05-01 09:46:51

rod barbee
Website

The album name in Publisher is only for your reference in Lightroom. What appears on the website it the Album Title and Album Description.
You should only need to rename the album Title  (and slug, if needed) and click the edit button.

If that doesn't work, can you re-post your issue in the Backlight Support forum?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer