Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-15 03:20:55

simkense

Update / delete of set and album names does not work

If I rename an album or set in Lightroom, this change is not implemented on the site. If I delete an album in Lightroom, I receive the message that the album cannot be removed from the service and indeed the album remains on the site, but disappears in Lightroom.

Is it possible to remove an album or set directly in Blacklight ?

Why is this going wrong ?

#2 2016-05-15 03:51:25

tomowensphoto
Website

Re: Update / delete of set and album names does not work

This may be the same issue I am having in ID  6429 . I deleted sets and albums and have some weird stuff going on. Ghosts seem to be left behind.

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2016-05-15 03:57:48)

Regards,
TomO
Just a simple photographer
Live site at http://tomowens.openpoint.co.uk/

#3 2016-05-15 03:52:36

rod barbee
Website

You can remove albums and sets from Backlight admin.
Go to Publisher > Top level galleries and click on the Albums link
Then click on the album or set you want to delete and scroll to the bottom of the resulting page

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2016-05-15 06:14:45

tomowensphoto
Website

Hi Rod,
By going in here I have found and deleted albums and album sets that had zero content and that has cleared up the errors in my posting at the bottom of the Ambiguous Column Post.
I don't understand how they came about. I shall test more tomorrow by creating more album sets and albums.
Regards,
TomO

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2016-05-15 06:15:11)

Regards,
TomO

#5 2016-05-15 06:27:53

rod barbee
Website

What I've found while creating, deleting, folding, spindling, and mutilating things like top-level galleries and second Publisher instances and trying to rename and remove things, is that sometimes simply clearing template cache works. Sometimes things get left over on the server even if you've deleted them in Publisher, and sometimes things are just weird.
So I try clearing cache and clicking the update album files link.
Sometimes I think I may be making too many changes too quickly.

But for the most part, if I'm not folding, spindling, etc, all goes well. Right now I have an extra top-level gallery that I can find no way of removing from Backlight other than doing so from the database. I'm just leaving it for now to see if Ben has other ideas.

This is the great thing about a test site. I can muck it up all I want without any real consequences smile

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#6 2016-05-15 09:15:48

Pfredd

rod barbee wrote:

Right now I have an extra top-level gallery that I can find no way of removing from Backlight other than doing so from the database. I'm just leaving it for now to see if Ben has other ideas.

This is the great thing about a test site. I can muck it up all I want without any real consequences smile

I also have a top-level gallery that I can not remove. It doesn't exist in Lightroom any more and I can not find a way to remove it using Backlight.

#7 2016-05-15 09:31:36

rod barbee
Website

Currently, the only way I can see to remove it is by deleting it from the database.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-05-15 11:39:59

Ben

Hi Tom, I don't know how that would happen.  It could be an issue related to you placing Top-level Galleries within Top-level gallery directories.  Your screen shot in 6429 shows galleries/arts and galleries/commercial Top-level Galleries while you already have a Top-level Galleries at galleries.  How that may pan out I don't know.  I would suggest instead that you either use a single 'galleries' Top-Level Galleries and then Album Sets for galleries/arts and galleries/commercial, or place the latter in entirely different directories, so that you have /galleries, /arts and /commercial.

#9 2016-05-15 14:58:31

tomowensphoto
Website

Hi Ben,
The /galleries/arts and galleries/commercial sub-directories were created by me in earlier testing with different instances of Publisher pointing to those sub-directories. I think Matt posted something about being able to structure things like that with extra galleries. Then I saw a post that Rod replied to where the conclusion was that the one instance of Publisher could have album sets and beneath them albums that could be navigated to via the nested menu feature.
In LR I deleted the published albums form the other sub-directory pointing instances of Publisher and then created new album sets under the default Publisher without deleting the other Publisher instances ( as I may have wanted to use these later in tests)
I then created the nested menus after publishing the albums to the album sets and got the weird display.

That said, I had noted the the values in the count of albums did not reflect the actual current view in Publisher in LR. That puzzled me until I saw this thread.

I will experiment later today with creating more album sets and albums and shifting, deleting etc to try and recreate the results (as all tests should be repeatable , and I know what I was attempting to do).

There seems to be something out of sync with LR Publisher  clearing unpublished albums and sets from the web server and Backlight deleting the same from the database leaving orphans behind. All the albums or sets that were apparently screwing up the navigation and thumbnail had a value of 0 against them in Backlight admin, and the corresponding Publisher instance were empty of detail other than just being available to use, if that helps.

I'll post more later when I have run some more tests, using just the top level galleries structure with sets and albums to begin with.

Regards,
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#10 2016-05-16 00:57:08

Pfredd

rod barbee wrote:

Currently, the only way I can see to remove it is by deleting it from the database.

So I can delete the top level gallery row, and any album rows referencing it (and each other) from the database and not screw things up?

Last edited by Pfredd (2016-05-16 00:57:33)

#11 2016-05-16 00:58:31

rod barbee
Website

I didn't say that wink

I haven't tried it yet on my test site. But let me to that and I'll come back.

EDIT:
Looks like it works.

In the database, (access by clicking the phpLiteAdmin link on the Backlight Dashboard page, password: admin) you can click on the publisher/master.sq3 link under Change Database. Then, under publisher/master.sq3, click on publisher_root. This will show the list of top-level gallery directories. Click the delete link on the one you want to kill.

I must stress that this is not by any means the official TTG way of deleting a top-level directory from Backlight. Neither Ben nor Matt have weighed in on this so if you do this, you do it at your own risk.

I'm doing it on my test site, which is meant for such daring escapades, so if things go totally FUBAR I'm not risking much and I get to learn something.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#12 2016-05-16 01:50:41

tomowensphoto
Website

OK Ben,
A bit later in the day than I imagined ( exterior house painting got in the way)
I created some new albums and sets and all worked swimmingly.
I then decided to test the delete album from inside Publisher in LR5.7 and bingo, the page screwed up.
Albums and test site
LR5.7Publisher
The orphan Album is Christchurch mansion Frocks.
I'll leave things as they are at present in case you want to look under the hood.
If I were to go in and delete within Backlight then I expect things will right themselves. I doubt this is as intended though.
Regards,
TomO

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2016-05-16 02:45:23)

Regards,
TomO

#13 2016-05-16 02:00:20

Pfredd

rod barbee wrote:

I must stress that this is not by any means the official TTG way of deleting a top-level directory from Backlight. Neither Ben nor Matt have weighed in on this so if you do this, you do it at your own risk.

I'm doing it on my test site, which is meant for such daring escapades, so if things go totally FUBAR I'm not risking much and I get to learn something.

Mine is a test system as well. I will also back up the database(s) before editing.

#14 2016-05-16 18:15:38

tomowensphoto
Website

Hi Chaps,
I've done a bit more on this this morning.
I looked at the location appearing at the bottom of my test site when I hovered over a menu item. The menu was  pointing to a folder structure that did not reflect the reality of the physical locations.
I made the assumption that this was possibly being caused by the other Publisher instances in LR for this test site. I deleted them and I removed the sub-menus for the galleries from the menu-set. The hover folder structure report properly when I hover over the galleries without using a drop-down menu.

I test by adding the sub-menus back in and then delete an album again to see if this destabilizes things.

So that is 2 Publisher instances as per the Tips section for Backlight removed
Cache cleared
Menu set sub-menus for galleries removed ( the About/Privacy reverted by to expected behaviour after this removal)
Hope this helps?
Regards,
TomO

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2016-05-16 22:04:15)

Regards,
TomO

#15 2016-05-16 18:25:45

tomowensphoto
Website

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-16%20at%2010.17.49.png
I did notice this though in the combo when I went to select the Album set - three Top level galleries. I suspect this is not right as I still have the galleries/arts and galleries/commercial that I cannot delete from within Backlight but have been deleted from LR5.7.

Regards,
TomO

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2016-05-16 19:38:16)

Regards,
TomO

#16 2016-05-16 20:57:45

Ben

Hi Tom, I can't replicate this in my own testing.  Can you try creating an entirely new Top-level Gallery (e.g. 'portfolio'), add and delete albums and see whether the problem is visible there?

#17 2016-05-16 21:37:59

tomowensphoto
Website

Hi Ben,
Just to be sure I am on the same page...
You want me to create an new Album set in LR called Portfolio, add albums to this Album set and delete some from within LR
By creating a new album set called Portfolio the BL test site will display 3 thumbnails on my Galleries page.
I would then need to add a new Album set sub-menu item to navigate to this set and the albums beneath it.
Have I got this right before I start?
Thanks
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#18 2016-05-16 21:41:15

Ben

Hi Tom,  I meant a new Publisher Instance, so that we can take the nested Top-level Galleries out of the equation.

#19 2016-05-16 21:54:41

tomowensphoto
Website

OK Ben,
Just as well I asked!
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#20 2016-05-16 22:41:35

tomowensphoto
Website

Hi Ben
I deleted my Album sets and albums from within LR  for the test site. There was nothing left under that instance of Publisher.
I removed the nested menu items for the galleries in the menu-set
Zero (value) albums were displayed in the Backlight Top Level Galleries admin page but three locations were displayed
/galleries
/galleries/arts
/galleries/commercial

I created a new instance of publisher, authenticated OK
I created and published 3 albums
Now before I delete any albums from the gallery, the  structure is still as above but if I click on the View gallery option in Backlight admin on the /galleries/arts and /galleries/commercial I get a dodgy screen displayed with ghosted placeholders for the 3 albums that I have uploaded.
Clicking on the View for the default location of /galleries displays the three thumbnails.

Looking at the folder structure on the web server, the /galleries/arts and /galleries/commercial are not  visible.

On the face of it it seems like deleting the albums and sets from the original instance of publisher has indeed deleted them from the web server, but they remain visible in Backlight Top Level galleries with zero content but display ghosts of what actually is there.

The log in credentials are still the same as I sent you if you need to take a look.
Please take a look at the last two  Backlight Dashboard special links. The last one is outside of my zone of understanding and the second one I mentioned in our emails last week.

Thanks
TomO

Last edited by tomowensphoto (2016-05-16 22:41:58)

Regards,
TomO

#21 2016-05-17 14:29:25

tomowensphoto
Website

Hi Ben,
Having deleted on album I decided to look at at the menu-set again.
I expected to see a choice for albums remaining and was proved to be true.
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-17%20at%2006.11.39.png

Obviously I did not have any album-sets in this instance so I decided to look at pointing a sub-menu item to an album set as my expectation was that there would be none to pick  as the combo should be empty but

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-17%20at%2006.11.12.png

This is a new instance of Publisher so if anything there ought to be one top level Galleries not the three. I am not able to delete these extra Top Level Galleries (/arts and /commercial) and Backlight seems to be holding onto them somewhere as the folders do not exist on the server with this new instance.
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-17%20at%2006.22.58.png

Other than deleting everything on the server under the /test sub-directory and starting over again, is there a way to clear these orphans?
Regards,
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#22 2016-05-17 14:52:37

Ben

Hi Tom, these can be deleted directly from the database.  Before deleting any Top-level Gallery from the database, make sure you've already deleted the albums attached to it.

To delete a Top-level gallery from the database:

1. Login to Backlight as admin
2. Click on the Backlight menu
3. Click on phpLiteAdmin
4. Login with the password 'admin'
5. Select or click on the publisher/master.sq3 database on the top-left
6. Click on 'publisher_root' on the left
7. Delete items as needed in the main part of the window.

Here's what the phpLiteAdmin page looks like for me:

phpliteadmin.png

#23 2016-05-17 15:52:45

tomowensphoto
Website

Thanks for this advice Ben,
I fall at the first fence though with this message when I  click phpLiteAdmin
Screen%20Shot%202016-05-17%20at%2007.44.07.png
Could this be a part of the problem?
Where do I disable 'register_globals' ?
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#24 2016-05-17 17:32:50

tomowensphoto
Website

I have rooted around in the phpMyAdmin console and the option for me to configure this seemingly out of date version of PHP is not in my gift. I have raised a request to my ISP to either turn it off for me or update PHP. The feature was removed in PHP 5.4.0.
I suspect that if they sort this then some problems may melt away.
TomO

Regards,
TomO

#25 2016-05-17 20:18:39

Ben

Hi Tom, disabling register_globals won't help with any of the other issues.  Register_globals was a dumb, dumb, design decision by the people behind PHP, and it shouldn't be enabled on any web server.  Here's an explanation of how the setting works: http://stackoverflow.com/a/3593273

I don't know of any points in our code that are vulnerable to having register_globals enabled, but can't speak for the code in phpLiteAdmin (which is open source).  If your host isn't able to switch this off (though they should do so), then I can advise on where to disable the check within the phpLiteAdmin code.

Board footer