Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#26 2016-05-13 00:08:48

rod barbee
Website

Re: About Page and Contact Page will not be found

You've got two top-level Galleries.
One is named Galerien, the directory is galleries and the path is /galleries/. There are no albums in this directory

the other is named Galleries, the directory is /galleries and the path is empty. There is one album in this directory.

Do you have two Publisher instances set up for this site?

In the Menu Set, tried changing the Galerien menu item to point it to either the Galleries or Galerien album set rather than the URL pointed to /galleries/  but that didn't change anything.

I'm puzzled by the two top-level directories pointing at the same location. I think this is going to be something for Ben to sort out.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#27 2016-05-13 00:18:06

Rainer Goergen
Website

Yes, the first test was 2 days ago on my MacPro with Lightroom. I've uploaded 1 gallery.
Today I made the update of backlight on my Macbook und uploaded another album with Publisher and Lightroom from there.
Oh, now I have seen it too. I am now at my MacPro. I have first deleted the old albums from here and created a new one. Also new setup for Publisher. I think thats it.
So what do I have to do? Deleting Publisher instance on my Macbook and only working with my MacPro?

Rainer

#28 2016-05-13 00:42:39

rod barbee
Website

Publisher instances are catalog specific. So from the Macbook you can manage a group of albums and album sets and at the same time, from the MacPro, manage a different group of albums and album sets in the same folder.

I'm not sure what the differences are between doing this with CE4 and Backlight. It may be that Backlight is managing things differently than CE4-based ttg-be does.
My suggestion is to not try managing the same top-level gallery folder from two different catalogs. At least not while you're trying to get a handle on how Backlight works.

Hopefully Ben will chime in with some advice on this.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#29 2016-05-13 00:44:03

Rainer Goergen
Website

OK, time enough. I delete all and a new begin.

Rainer

#30 2016-05-13 00:50:18

rod barbee
Website

Probably a good idea. It's easy to do.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#31 2016-05-13 02:02:46

Rainer Goergen
Website

I have now uploaded album sets and one album. If I go to - Galerien - and then to - Kontakt - and - Über - the same error I posted the whole long day. The link to Kontakt and Über is from the gallery site always to a folder /contact/ and /about/. But these folder do not exist. From the other sites the link is: tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com/?page=contact .....

The same when I set the Menu Item - Home - in the Menu Sets to: Page - Home -. The link from gallery site is to: tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com/home/.
If I set the link to - URL - and - / -, the link from gallery site is to: tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com and this works.

I installed backlight and Publisher plugin completely new.

Admin Login is the same.

Help, Rainer

-------

@Rod
On your test site the links are all to .php files - not by me.

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-05-13 02:09:33)

#32 2016-05-13 02:37:38

rod barbee
Website

there's an option in Settings under Web Settings, called Page URL format. You can change that so pages you create have either page.php, page-name/, page.html, or page.

I really don't know what's going on. The only thing I can think of is that the server is misinterpreting the urls.

One thing you could try is downloading your Backlight order again. Ben made some changes a few hours ago that look to affect URLs and paths. See this post:
http://community.theturninggate.net/vie … hp?id=6415
Try replacing the indicated files from the new download.

if that's not it, I suggest sending and email to Ben (his email link is under his name in that post) with your Backlight admin credentials. He may also need FTP access.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#33 2016-05-13 02:51:45

Rainer Goergen
Website

All done, new blank installation. My settings are /page, when I try the other nothing works.

Rainer

----

I would upload screenshots, but don't no how.

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-05-13 02:52:24)

#34 2016-05-13 03:01:29

rod barbee
Website

to upload screen shots, put the file online (I keep a folder on my server just for this) and place the link to the image between  img tags:

[img]http://yoursite.com/images/image.jpg[/img]

I suggest emailing Ben too. He's in Australia and it's the middle of the night there, so give it a few hours.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#35 2016-05-13 07:02:06

Ben

I've found the problem.  The Page URL Format (i.e. about, about/, about.php or about.html) is honoured when Backlight detects that .htaccess is working for the location that your page is loaded.

The top of your site does not have a working .htaccess file.  Therefore the menu links use the fallback mode of ?page=about
There is a working .htaccess file under galleries/, so Backlight honours the Page URL Format, giving links such as /about/.

Two options to fix this:

1. Upload .htaccess from the top of the Backlight zip file to the top of your site.  Was there any reason you hadn't done this?
2. If for some reason that is not an option, change your menu links to the URL type with values such as /?page=about

#36 2016-05-13 07:12:12

Rainer Goergen
Website

Thank you very much. It works. When I copied the files after the update, I did not use Tinker Tool to make the hidden files viewed.
When I installed all new I only copied the backlight, galleries folder and index.php to the server. All .htaccess files were copied without the .htaccess file in root of backlight.zip. So I have seen this file when I made it viewed with the tool.

Rainer

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-05-13 07:13:00)

#37 2016-05-13 08:52:45

rod barbee
Website

I knew Ben would find the problem quickly. He's like that.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#38 2016-05-13 16:18:50

Rainer Goergen
Website

@Ben

Desktop View:

I found an other error. If I am at the - Kontakt - page and I click onto - Galerien -, the link shown not to
tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com/galleries/ but to tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com/contact/galleries/.

On IOS devices all works correct, I thought, but the error is only on iPad 3. IPhone 6 s + is ok.

Rainer

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-05-13 16:32:56)

#39 2016-05-13 16:50:43

Ben

Hi Rainer, I can't see this problem at all.  When I am on http://tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com/contact/, the link to Galleries takes me to http://tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com/galleries/

#40 2016-05-13 16:51:50

Rainer Goergen
Website

From Desktop PC?

Something went wrong appears.

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-05-13 16:54:26)

#41 2016-05-13 17:13:28

Ben

At this point, I need to see a page where I can see that broken link (the page that leads to the error page).  This isn't what I see when I visit http://tripstrilles.myqnapcloud.com/contact/.

#42 2016-05-13 17:18:46

Rainer Goergen
Website

Mail. Click on Kontakt, then on Galerien.

#43 2016-05-13 17:28:14

Ben

Got it!  The issue only appears if you're logged in to Backlight in the same browser.  That's why you were seeing it and I couldn't. 
To see that it is at least working correctly for non-admin users, try logging out and viewing the site.

Can you leave your menu settings as they are, till I have a change to see what's going wrong?

#44 2016-05-13 18:34:19

Rainer Goergen
Website

I will so I am not yet at Home. In IOS I have been in Backlight, not with my mobile. Then at same time with MacBook to check the site and there in Backlight too. When at home I log out. No changes then in menu settings.

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-05-13 18:35:29)

#45 2016-05-13 19:48:04

Ben

Hi Rainer, I can't replicate this problem on my server.  Can you provide me with FTP access so that I can add some log statements and work out the cause?  If that's not possibly, let me know and I'll paste some code changes to try which will output logs for debugging.

#46 2016-05-13 19:55:15

Rainer Goergen
Website

Ftp I tried yesterday but it doesn't works. I can try to give you access to my webserver.

Last edited by Rainer Goergen (2016-05-13 21:22:07)

#47 2016-05-13 20:12:01

Ben

Strangely, the issue is now showing for me, which is great.  Replicating the issue is often more difficult than solving it.  I'll keep you posted on what I find.

#48 2016-05-13 22:33:24

Ben

After a couple of hours on this... I've got to say this is one of the trickiest issues I have encountered with Backlight.  It comes down to the handling of pseudo URLs.  For example '/contact/' isn't actually a directory, and Backlight thinks that page is being viewed at /, so adding 'galleries' to what it thinks is '/' but is actually '/contact/', making '/contact/galleries/' in the address bar.
That is the simple version.  The scenarios that trigger it get more complicated.
After clearing your template cache, this appears to be resolved for you.  The link to galleries in now /galleries/ when logged in as admin and viewing /contact/.

#49 2016-05-13 23:30:29

Rainer Goergen
Website

Thank you very much for your help.

Rainer

#50 2016-10-08 06:32:44

michilge
Website

I'm experiencing the same problem.
When I set "Page URL Format" to "about" or "about/" and reload the page with the menu, I get a 404 error.
When I turn it back to "about.php" and reload the page with the menu again, my pages are found.

I did copy the .htaccess file to the directory my backlight/ and galleries/ reside in and also cleared my template cache after changing to "about".

Board footer