Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-06 19:53:57

Leuvenaar230
Website

OK. Backlight. That's my plan.

Hi,

Backlight is interesting once it is installed and working properly, but before i take of, i don't want to lose my current site with CE4.
So that's my plan:
- I back up my current server data.
- I buy backlight with pages
- And then... i'm searching for a step by step plan how to execute the migration, but can't find it. I guess this http://backlight.theturninggate.net/doc … tion_setup is for a new set up, not to migrate coming from CE4. Is it correct i start with creating a new folder Backlight and then follow the steps from this link? I assume i can't throw the new files in the middle of my server?
(I'm afraid of making a mess and that the current site is going down...)

Thanks for your help to convince me i will make it to a good end.
Steven

#2 2016-05-06 21:04:02

Matthew
Administrator
Website

Re: OK. Backlight. That's my plan.

Migration is in the documentation, under the Appendix section.

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

#3 2016-05-06 21:37:57

rod barbee
Website

To migrate a whole site, this is what I plan to do (which is pretty much what I've always done when moving between CE versions)

1) Develop the Backlight site in a sub-domain until I'm happy with design and have created all the stand-alone pages as well as a few test album sets and albums (for design purposes). Once I'm happy with the design, I'll delete all the test albums and sets.

2) from the Backlight sub-domain, I'll copy the index.php, .htaccess file and the Backlight folder and move those to my main domain. This will overwrite the existing index.php, which will in effect kill the old CE4 site.

3) log into Backlight and in Settings, update the Company URL and Site URL

4) Run the Backlight Publisher migration

5) In Lightroom (It's easy to forget we still use Lightroom in all this!), update all albums and sets with your Backlight templates, if you need to choose templates other than the default templates.

Oh, I also plan on first testing this in another sub-domain where I'll set up a CE4 based site with a few albums and sets. Nothing major, just a basic little site.
Testing this first will reveal any flaws in the steps so I can correct those before doing this on my real site.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#4 2016-05-07 18:03:15

Leuvenaar230
Website

Thank you for your clear answer Rod.

Board footer