Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-20 06:14:47

tenpinmark

Excited about Backlight

Just watched the demo video about Backlight and I'm really stoked about it.  I have been a long time user with your products (maybe not as long as some others though) but recently have felt let down by the performance with Lightroom and the web module build process.  I have even put everything onto very fast SSD, upgraded RAM to 24GB, re-installed Windows 10 and Lightroom so I have tried to get decent performance - just never have.

Anyhow, as I said, really looking forward to the new way of designing my web site but I have a few quesitons:

1) Will there be anyway of migrating from a CE4 to Backlight site e.g. settings etc? I'm not wanting to spend a lot more time in CS4 only to find I have to redo everything in Backlight.
2) Will there be an attractive incentive to upgrade e.g. a discounted offer perhaps?
3) HOW MUCH LONGER TO WAIT!!! - See the frustration pouring out there Matt!

All the very best and please release this beautiful product soon.

P.S. - Do you need another Beta tester???????

Cheers
Mark

#2 2016-04-20 07:23:58

rod barbee
Website

Re: Excited about Backlight

1) Will there be anyway of migrating from a CE4 to Backlight site e.g. settings etc? I'm not wanting to spend a lot more time in CS4 only to find I have to redo everything in Backlight.

yes. It will be similar to the migration of CE3 albums and album sets to CE4.

2) Will there be an attractive incentive to upgrade e.g. a discounted offer perhaps?

Matt will have to answer definitively. If I remember, he may have already addressed this in the latest blog post about Backlight (in the comments) or on the TTG Facebook users' group.

3) HOW MUCH LONGER TO WAIT!!! - See the frustration pouring out there Matt!

Matt has indicate end of April for initial release of Backlight and the Pages module, with other modules to follow. But it's still in Beta so be patient, it will pay off!

And yes, it's so much faster than working in Lightroom and putting up with interminable waits while Lightroom "thinks" about things.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-04-20 17:05:31

tenpinmark

Thanks Rod for the info - I don't usually read the comments to any blog posting becuase I find that's where trolls live in the main. I have learnt today that all my quesitons were answered in the two blog postings from Matt.  Many thanks though for your time.

Oh, and woot, woot - it's only 10 days until the end of April....  How about a countdown timer????

#4 2016-04-21 16:51:34

Matthew
Administrator
Website

We have been fortunate so far, in that our blog is relatively free of trolls. We get one once in a while, but for the most part, our audience is full of positive and pleasant people.

You will be able to migrate published galleries from CE4, but you will not be able to migrate designs/templates/settings from CE4. That said, I think it should be fairly simple, by comparison to CE4, to get into designing, and it will be a great exercise for getting to grips with the new system, and finding what new things Backlight allows you to do.

There will be upgrade incentives for CE4 customers, though numbers are still being discussed internally.

We are still aiming for late April / early May. At present, I see no reason we should not be able to release within that window, though things can always change. We will not release prematurely, so Backlight will arrive when it's ready, and not a day before!

Matt

The Turning Gate, http://theturninggate.net

Board footer