Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-12 22:32:27

charles_i

Create Album defaults to the wrong Album Set

I'm having trouble again with Publisher.  I have 2 existing album sets with albums inside of them.  I want to create a 3rd album set with albums in it.  I have created and uploaded the auto-index and the indexes for the albums for the 3rd set.  When I create Album Set number 3 and then try to create an album inside it, it defaults to the auto-index and photos from set 2.  The folder choices in Copy Settings From Album are all from number 2.

What is Copy Settings From Album used for anyway?  Why would you ever want to copy the settings from an album in a different set?

Thanks
Charles

#2 2016-03-13 00:11:56

rod barbee
Website

Re: Create Album defaults to the wrong Album Set

I have created and uploaded the auto-index and the indexes for the albums for the 3rd set

What exactly do you mean by this? Have you created new album set and album templates and uploaded them to ttg-be/templates/autoindex/ and /ttg-be/templates/gallery/ folders? Or are you directly uploading new autoindexes and new galleries along side your existing album sets?

What is Copy Settings From Album used for anyway?  Why would you ever want to copy the settings from an album in a different set?

It copies the settings from the chosen album. Things like watermarking, cart settings, crg settings, etc. It's so you don't need to go through all the tabs and make all those settings every time you create an album.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-04-02 01:55:44

charles_i

Finally getting back to this - I've been really busy with other projects. 

Yes, you are correct with this. "Or are you directly uploading new autoindexes and new galleries along side your existing album sets?" Yes I did.

Thanks for the clarification about Copy Settings From Album.

Update:  I have a feeling this had something to do with my notoriously lousy hosting company.  Because when I came back to it and tried again about a month later it suddenly worked.  No error messages.  And I hadn't changed anything.

But I have now signed up with a new hosting company and I'm going to have to reload everything on the new server.  Does the Publisher connection rely on IP numbers?  If so, I presume I'm going to have to set it up again.  If it only uses the domain name I should be able to just re-publish everything, with the settings as is, correct?

Thanks
Charles

#4 2016-04-02 02:29:21

rod barbee
Website

Yes, you are correct with this. "Or are you directly uploading new autoindexes and new galleries along side your existing album sets?" Yes I did.

you will not be able to use Publisher with these as they are not album sets, they are stand-alone indexes.
To create new album sets, right click in Publisher and choose "create album set". after creating this, you'll be able to add albums to the set.

But I have now signed up with a new hosting company and I'm going to have to reload everything on the new server.  Does the Publisher connection rely on IP numbers?  If so, I presume I'm going to have to set it up again.  If it only uses the domain name I should be able to just re-publish everything, with the settings as is, correct?

I think it relies on domain name. But you'll need to make sure your ttg-be/ folder is moved over too as it contains the databases that make all this work.

If moving to a new domain, you should be able to just point your domain to the new nameservers rather than needing to republish everything. Check with your new host about transferring domains to their hosting. They probably have an article about it in their FAQs or their support section.

If you're using phplugins you will need to get the new server path and enter that in all your templates and stand-alone pages.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2016-04-02 03:45:13

charles_i

Thanks Rod.  I believe I followed the correct procedures.  I think it was a connection problem.

I'm moving to a new server with the SAME domain name.  I plan to copy the ttg-be folder, templates and auto-indexes and put them in the exact same place.  I don't want to waste time and bandwidth downloading everything, so I'm hoping Publisher will just connect and see that all the photos need republishing.  I don't use any plugins so that will make it simpler. I'll let you know.

Charles

#6 2016-04-02 03:49:33

rod barbee
Website

if everything at the new host is the same, I don't think you should have many problems.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2016-04-06 23:41:38

charles_i

I haven't moved anything yet I'll tell you know how that goes. 

Getting back to your last answer - I believe the procedure is to create CE4 Auto Indexes and CE4 Indexes in the Web module and upload them with no photos to the ttg_be autoindex and gallery folders - then they are available in Publisher to select as your templates, correct?  That's what I've done in the past.  I'm not sure what you mean by saying they are stand alone and don't work with Publisher.

#8 2016-04-07 00:00:49

rod barbee
Website

I believe the procedure is to create CE4 Auto Indexes and CE4 Indexes in the Web module and upload them with no photos to the ttg_be autoindex and gallery folders -

Close.
Create a CE4 Autoindex, export and upload to /ttg-be/templates/autoindex/ . This will serve as a template for Album Sets.
Create a CE4 Gallery, export and upload to /ttg-be/templates/gallery/ . This will serve as a template for Albums.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying they are stand alone and don't work with Publisher.

What I mean is that if you just upload an autoindex in your galleries structure, you won't be able to just use that as an album set. The autoindex would still appear on your Galleries page and you could still manually upload galleries to it, but if it's not created with Publisher (as an album set) then Publisher can't see it.

(You can create another Publisher instance to publish to that autoindex. At that point it would be just like your Galleries page and you can add album sets and albums)

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-04-09 02:12:32

charles_i

OK, nearly got it.

I'm doing exactly what you said in the two "Create.." sentences - but initially it didn't work - as you say, I think Publisher wasn't recognizing my Autoindex  for some reason.

Do you mean, don't upload an Autoindex to the "gallery" folder?  I get that part - only upload Autoindex to "templates" and templates to "gallery" - the part about Publisher not seeing it unless I create it in Publisher is still a bit murky.  The Autoindex has to be created in the Web module in order to contain all the formatting I want.

Thanks for your help (as always).

#10 2016-04-09 04:17:16

rod barbee
Website

I don't know your set up so I can only guess.
If you're using Pages, then the Galleries page is an autoindex and you should target the /galleries/ folder with Publisher.

If you're not using Pages, then you need to export and upload an autoindex to your site and target that folder with Publisher.

- the part about Publisher not seeing it unless I create it in Publisher is still a bit murky.

What I mean is that you just can't upload an autoindex to your site and expect Publisher to be able to publish to it from an existing Publisher instance.
For example, if you've targeted the /galleries/ folder in Publisher (set top-level galleries directory to 'galleries') and then you manually upload an autoindex into that folder, Publisher can't see it.
If you need more autoindexes inside the galleries/ folder, create Album Sets through Publisher.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#11 2016-05-06 05:20:22

charles_i

All good.  FYI changing hosting companies made no difference to the operation of Publisher.  It worked perfectly after the move.  And there is no more error message.  I think it was a problem with 1and1 hosting.

Thanks for your help.

Charles

Last edited by charles_i (2016-05-06 05:20:56)

Board footer