Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-03-27 03:15:44

scottfrey

Broken Thumbnails in published autoindex

Something is causing my autoindex thumbnails to break, and I can't figure out what. (It wasn't what I thought)

see http://www.lightsmithy.com/collections/01parks/

Some of the thumbnails are missing, some are working. All auto indexes were created using the same template with the same settings (cover image set to random). I had thought that it had something to do with nested album sets, until I noticed that Eastern Mountains was broken (it doesn't have any nested sets) and Pacific region is not, though it does have nested album sets (thumbnails on auto index's within /pac are broken when there are nested sets, is that a coincidence?)

I can manually set thumbnails from the list, but that is not as nice as the random thumbnails (IMHO)

http://www.lightsmithy.com/collections/02regional/ is 100% broken

These are a mx of CE3 upgraded to CE4 published incidences and new published only with CE4. Eastern Mountains is upgraded (and does not have custom-thumbnail directory or a mobile-thumbnail directory. Pacific was created with CE4

Any idea what I've done wrong?

#2 2015-03-27 05:05:17

rod barbee
Website

Re: Broken Thumbnails in published autoindex

Since Lightroom's Publishing service is not capable of publishing images to an album set, the only way that random will work for those sets is if you've manually uploaded thumbnails to each set's thumbnails/ folder.

http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … over_image

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-03-27 07:13:28

scottfrey

the only way that random will work for those sets is if you've manually uploaded thumbnails to each set's thumbnails/ folder.

except that it is working for some of them, and I can't manually upload any thumbnails ( http://community.theturninggate.net/post/28428/#p28428 )

If it wasn't working at all, it would make more sense

#4 2015-03-27 07:26:38

rod barbee
Website

are the working ones leftovers from CE3 albums that were previously working?

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-03-27 07:32:48

scottfrey

nope. That was first thought.
http://www.lightsmithy.com/collections/01parks/
Eastern Mountain region was migrated from CE3, as was Alaska, and Rocky Mountain. Southwest, Midwest, and Pacific is all new. I think Alaska is the only one with no new galleries, I've added some new one other places.

In any case, if it used to work and now doesn't....

#6 2015-03-27 07:42:46

rod barbee
Website

well, since Lightroom can't include images when Publisher creates an album set, any images in the thumbnails folder will have had to have been added manually.
and as far as I know, the only way that random will work for a cover image in an album set is if there are thumbnails in the album set's thumbnails/ folder.
This is because the autoindex script in the folder above the album set (the parent index) can only look one level deep, the script can't reach down into nested indexes and galleries to snatch thumbnails.  (it can look into the thumbnails folders of any child gallery or index, but not grand children)

uploaded autoindexes are a different story as the Web module can export any images included in an autoindex.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-03-27 11:27:14

scottfrey

Hmmmmm.  I'll have to dig deeper then. Or just fix it and not care what's broke.

To be clear, if I load the thumbnails directory of a child auto index with something, the parent auto index should use that (as well as the thumbnail directories of child galleries alongside the child auto index) is my logic correct there?

Would this behavior be caused by any empty thumbnail directory within search range? (i.e. an untapped error)?

#8 2015-03-27 13:00:05

rod barbee
Website

To be clear, if I load the thumbnails directory of a child auto index with something, the parent auto index should use that (as well as the thumbnail directories of child galleries alongside the child auto index) is my logic correct there?

correct. If you had a setup like below, the galleries page (an autoindex) will be able to grab the thumbs from all the indexes and galleries

Galleries page/      (index)
         autoindex1/
         autoindex2/
         gallery1/
         gallery2/

Would this behavior be caused by any empty thumbnail directory within search range?

No. If an index or album set's thumbnails folder is empty (and you've not chosen a thumbnail for the Album Set via normal Publisher means) then the index will be represented by a space invader icon. That's normal.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-04-08 00:24:07

fwillette

Hi Rod

I just found here the answer to my issue whitch was: how to get an cover image for an album set when using "Random"
I red several times the wiki :  http://ce4.theturninggate.net/docs/doku … over_image
but it is not clear how to do. Should it be possible to add a paragrah explaining that when "Random" is selected, thumnails have to be manually uploaded in Album set's thumbnails folder?

Cordially, and thanks for all the support you give.

#10 2016-04-08 00:33:59

rod barbee
Website

Should it be possible to add a paragrah explaining that when "Random" is selected, thumnails have to be manually uploaded in Album set's thumbnails folder?

I don't have any control over documentation, but perhaps Matt will see this and add that bit.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer