Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-02-13 00:03:48

pierre_paris

Bug, Issues and ideas for improvements

Hi !
I just posted in the showcase area the link with my CE4 Paris website : www.paris-photographer.net

I finally decided for this CE4 version of my website to use the Large Image Presentation in TTG Gallery CE4 after I saw how MAGNIFIC POPUP looked like. Finally a large presentation with arrows on each side of the picture !
I did not do it in CE3 because I was not a big fan of the mini arrows lost in corners (like in HIGHSLIDE SLIDESHOW now or other gallery versions in CE3) to go from one picture to the next one. I don't find it intuitive when you are watching it on desktop.

So here are just some of the ideas I would like to submit for making what I feel would be the perfect gallery. I'm aware it does not meet everyone's needs and I 'm sorry if I go through some issues that already were discussed on the forum. Of course I'm open to hear possible tricks and current solutions to make them work !

1/ BUGS :
Meta description in last version of TTG Gallery CE4 (02/12/2015) does not work for me and does not save filled content when template is saved.

2/ POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS :

Text :
It would be good to have the possibility to "justify" the text, just as in TTG PAGES.

Thumbnails & Masonry :
- We can define to divide Masonry by COLUMNS. It would be nice if we could do it by ROWS too (for example : http://www.evanchungphoto.com/bay-area-weddings)
Masonry is definitely providing an awesome look, but I feel the current version gives more space and value to vertical pictures than horizontal ones, and the possibility to define masonry by row would make the opposite possible.

Sharing icons :
It would be nice if we could personalize more the way sharing icons are shown on the large Image presentation.
I don't find it inviting on TOUCH or MAGNIFIC POPUP to have to click on this button on the top-right corner (that does not seem inviting to me and does not look like a "IF YOU WANT TO SHARE..." button) and they look too small in their bottom-right corner in HIGHSLIDE SLIDESHOW.

I feel it would be easier for users if sharing icons could appear at once and together just above or below the picture.
Ideally with the possibility to have them altogether (and not spread like they are in MAGNIFIC & TOUCH), and possibly too in their natural colors (blue for facebook, red for pinterest... which seems impossible now).
And being able to choose the one we want to appear would be the cherry on the cake !

Navigation :
Once again, I'm so happy that we have the possibility to have arrows on each side of the picture in MAGNIFIC POPUP or TOUCH. Maybe having the possibility to have the arrows on the picture itself (like it appears on mobile devices actually) would be nice.

PUBLISHER :

I'd like to use PUBLISHER by having my galleries url this way :
website.com/gallery1
website.com/gallery2
PUBLISHER asks me for a root directory ('galleries' by default), and then a SLUG (that needs to be filled, or is filled with album name by default). So at the end, it looks like I will always need an intermediate folder between my 'website.com' and my 'gallery1'. Is there way to avoid that ?

Thanks for your time smile

Pierre

#2 2015-02-13 00:26:07

rod barbee
Website

Re: Bug, Issues and ideas for improvements

1. The description is filled out in the Album Set up. That description becomes the meta description

Text :
It would be good to have the possibility to "justify" the text, just as in TTG PAGES.

For now, you can use html and inline styling (or a custom class). But you're right, that option is in Pages.

PUBLISHER asks me for a root directory ('galleries' by default), and then a SLUG (that needs to be filled, or is filled with album name by default). So at the end, it looks like I will always need an intermediate folder between my 'website.com' and my 'gallery1'. Is there way to avoid that ?

Publisher needs a top level gallery to publish to. this is the galleries folder, so necessarily, all albums and album set need to go within that folder. Publisher cannot publish to the root folder because the root is higher in the hierarchy than the ttg-be folder. So no, there is no way to avoid that with Publisher.
You could simply export and upload galleries to the root, but then you'd need to provide the links to them as they wouldn't be in a folder that could be autoindexed.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-02-13 00:37:36

rod barbee
Website

sharing icons can be colored via custom css. For example, this works for the email icon:

li.mfp-email i.fa-envelope{
  color: red;
}

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#4 2015-02-13 00:54:49

pierre_paris

You could simply export and upload galleries to the root, but then you'd need to provide the links to them as they wouldn't be in a folder that could be autoindexed.

Thanks Rod, that's what I do so far !

sharing icons can be colored via custom css. For example, this works for the email icon:

li.mfp-email i.fa-envelope{
  color: red;
}

Thanks smile

#5 2016-03-17 05:34:17

pierre_paris

Hi Rod ! I tried to fill the Album description (under the Album Info) with some content but it still does not show in the meta description when the page is loaded. Any idea why ? Thanks for your time smile

For example : http://www.paris-photographer.net/paris … tographer/

#6 2016-03-17 06:40:10

pierre_paris

Ok, I figured out the riddle ! It's because I did not write a title in the Album Info, which actually appears to become the title of the page...  What are the 'meta description' & <title> fields made for at the end ?

I feel it's also a pity that the banner (or identity plate) in the masthead can only show if there is something filled in the 'Heading' field underneath. And why is the content of this 'Heading' field having a H1 title level when people are supposed to use & understand Markdown.

From a SEO perspective, all this is a bit mysterious !

#7 2016-03-17 07:27:37

rod barbee
Website

pierre_paris wrote:

Hi Rod ! I tried to fill the Album description (under the Album Info) with some content but it still does not show in the meta description when the page is loaded. Any idea why ? Thanks for your time smile

For example : http://www.paris-photographer.net/paris … tographer/

I don't believe that's it's purpose. Look in Site Info > Page Setup > Meta: Description

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#8 2016-03-17 07:29:39

rod barbee
Website

I feel it's also a pity that the banner (or identity plate) in the masthead can only show if there is something filled in the 'Heading' field underneath. And why is the content of this 'Heading' field having a H1 title level when people are supposed to use & understand Markdown.

The H1 for the heading is there for SEO purposes. From what I know, most websites use the H1 heading in the masthead.

As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, when in doubt, trust what Matt has set up. He's the expert.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2016-03-17 07:39:26

pierre_paris

Hi Rod ! It does not work when I fill in the meta: description.
You mentioned that too when you answered me the first time to this post.
I can deal by having the h1 Heading in the masthead. It was not obvious at first.

I just can't figure out what jut happened to my galleries.
Pictures won't load anymore. Is that a problem of compatibility between the last version of ce4 gallery & the ce4 pages I'm using ?
For example : http://www.paris-photographer.net/meta-test5/
Thanks smile

#10 2016-03-17 07:53:52

pierre_paris

Yes it was smile

#11 2016-03-17 07:59:45

rod barbee
Website

I just can't figure out what jut happened to my galleries.
Pictures won't load anymore. Is that a problem of compatibility between the last version of ce4 gallery & the ce4 pages I'm using ?

Yes.
Since you're using the Share Resources with TTG CE4 Pages feature, this means you need to keep Pages up to date. You're using version 7.0.12. The current version is 7.0.15

Update Pages and the correct version of jQuery will be fed to the gallery and that should fix things.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

Board footer