Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-29 01:25:11

theomolenaar

Changing api url

I am testing and uploading galleries on a test domain. (actually a subdomain that I want to change later).

The api url lin publisher is test.theomolenaar.nl

Leter it is going to be pictures.theomolenaar.nl.

Can I change this and republish? Or will things go wrong ?

#2 2015-12-29 01:51:00

rod barbee
Website

Re: Changing api url

Not exactly sure what your plan/process is.
You can create as many Publisher instances as you like. So you can have one for the 'test' sub-domain and one for the 'pictures' sub-domain.

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2015-12-29 03:31:41

theomolenaar

I understand that.

But can I change the api url. Without getting into problems.

I would like to put all the galleries in the test first so as to develope the complete site test the look and feel, the text, the lins etc. So a develop and test proces. A test site.

And then change the api url to the one of the 'normal site. I was hoping that I could then upload the galleries there.  I do not want to build all the albums, texts etc again. See here what I mean:

http://test.theomolenaar.nl/destinations/africa/

this is 1/10 t of the content. so i would like to migrate. Actually. the albums are already there because the subdomain test.theomolenaar.nl is forwards to the same directory as the pictures subdomain will be later on.

But I am not sure if and how publisher wil react to this change.. I know it works with the albums I have done that before.

#4 2015-12-29 03:45:56

rod barbee
Website

But can I change the api url. Without getting into problems.

I doubt it, but I've never tested it.

the problem with just changing the API URL is that the databases in ttg-be have been populated with albums and album sets and all sorts of things from the test sub-domain. I think you'd have to move all that over as well and I don't know if that will work or not.

But you could just simply test it out ahead of time. Create another sub-domain and see if you can copy everything over to it successfully.

But maybe Ben will have a better suggestion.

Otherwise I suggest designing your new site with a limited number of test albums. When you're happy with the design, then upload Pages, phplugins, ttg-be and all your templates, etc to the new domain and start populating it with your real albums.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#5 2015-12-29 04:08:00

theomolenaar

I thought of that. But it would take me days to populate the site, test, filter out mistakes (there will be a lot of links, cross links etc ..) I also have to fill the wordpress related stuf after the switch because of the permalinks, so that woud mean a sloppy site for a long time...

And you are right. I can make another subdomain and test that with a smaller publisher set. Woud be handy if i had insight in how the publisher database works though. But that is not in the documentation..

#6 2015-12-29 04:17:22

rod barbee
Website

it's a sqlite database, if that helps.

And if you're creating a WordPress based site in a subdomain and you plan on moving it to another subdomain, you'll need to make sure you migrate the WordPress database too and any images you might have in the media library, in the migration. Take a look at WP Migrate DB: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-migrate-db/

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#7 2015-12-29 06:58:26

theomolenaar

Thanks, i'll look into that. maybe an option. Certainly for later if I change the domain.

The interesting part is that the wordppress database as everything else still is in the same place. www.theomolenaar.nl/_pictures_CE4. I might just reinstall wordpress and the theme. Because I was not planning for much content befoe going life anyway.

Btw I changed an api-url and it seemed to work, despite some error reports.. But I'll try to locate the database and figure out the content. I am not really technical but sufficient in sql and a professional data analist so i should make some sens of it:[_

txs again for the swift responses...

#8 2015-12-29 07:36:26

rod barbee
Website

databases are located in /ttg-be/data/. There will be a folder for whatever modules you may have: cart, crg, publisher. And there's the ttg admin folder containing that database.

Rod 
www.rodbarbee.com

#9 2015-12-29 07:38:50

Ben

If you're starting off with a clean set of galleries at pictures.theomolenaar.nl and want the site to be a replica of test.theomolenaar.nl, then you should be able to get it working by copying everything within test to pictures.  In particular, copy out the ttg-be and galleries directories to at least make the galleries work, and , then change your API URL to pictures.theomolenaar.nl/ttg-be/publisher/

The one potential problem with that approach is file permissions.  Files that are created by the back-end Publisher may have been created with the owner set to 'apache' or similar.  After copying over the files, they will probably be owned by your user account.  That means that Publisher won't be able to update the files later on.  Solving that will depend on your host.

Before worrying about that, can you take a look at ownership and permissions of your ttg-be/data/ directory under test?  A good file to look at would be ttg-be/data/publisher/master.sq3.  Which group and user owns that file, and what are the permissions?  Also, how does that compare with a file that you've manually uploaded via FTP?  If they're the same then you shouldn't have problems with permissions after copying the files to the new domain.

#10 2015-12-29 20:04:53

theomolenaar

Thanks Ben

Reading your answer I should be fine. You see I do not have to copy !!!. test.theomolenaar.nl redirects in the hosting to the folder www.theomolenaar.nl/_pictures_CE4_V01  just as pictures.theomolenaar.nl redirects to _pictures_CE3 for the current version of my site.

So by changing the redirect the files are in the right place and I can change the api url. Since it actually points to the same location  and I am no copying anything I do not expect problems with file permissions.

But thanks for the explanation I'll look into that anyway for a better understanding.

Getting there thanks to  you  guys....

Last edited by theomolenaar (2015-12-29 20:06:15)

#11 2016-02-16 03:03:36

theomolenaar

en

I changed the forwarding. test==> pictures_Ce4 to pictures ==> pictures_CE4 on my server

And changed the api url from test.theomolenaar tot pictures.theomolenaar

Did not mark the albums for republish. No problem whatsoever. After that I could change the albums. So no problem at all.

Thxs

Board footer