Community @ The Turning Gate

Support community for TTG plugins and products.

NOTICE

The Turning Gate's Community has moved to a new home, at https://discourse.theturninggate.net.

This forum is now closed, and exists here as a read-only archive.

• New user registrations are disabled.
  • Users cannot create new topics.
  • Users cannot reply to existing topics.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-07 04:32:09

MartinS
Website

Cart "unavailable"

I know that Rod and Ben have advised on this a while ago (I tried adding this question to that 2013 topic but have not heard anything so am now posting it as a new topic), but now I too am running more and more frequently into the "shopping cart unavailable...please contact the photographer etc" popup, not just when the visitor first accesses the galleries folder, but randomly during browsing of the galleries. The cart works perfectly the whole time, however, so showing visitors a all too frequent popup, however briefly, misleadingly stating that the cart is unavailable, must put people off from browsing further. When I browse my own galleries on the net (on a fast computer), I certainly find this popup most annoying. Sometimes it appears at every press of a thumbnail.

In the past Rod or Ben attributed this behaviour to the contents of a htaccess file. What specifically could cause this popup to appear? Is there perhaps a way to disable the popup entirely?

I am not an expert on server-side matters and have hosted http://martinsharrott.com with powweb happily for well over 10 years. 

Thank you in advance for help solving this.

#2 2016-01-07 04:52:53

rod barbee
Website

Re: Cart "unavailable"

This happens to me occasionally too. It usually disappears pretty quickly. My guess is that this might be the lag between when the page loads and some needed javascript has finished loading.
Often page elements need to be in place before scripts load so that things won't break. So this might just be a server response issue.

Are you on shared hosting now? If this gets to be a major problem, you might try upgrading your hosting plan to either dedicated hosting plan or shared virtual private server hosting.
(I'm no expert either)

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

#3 2016-01-07 16:24:00

MartinS
Website

I shall investigate the hosting suggestion, Rod. In the meanwhile, browsing round my host's settings options, I notice that every (TTG) gallery folder has a .htaccess file with the following contents:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^(.*)-single.*php$ single.php?id=$1 [L]
</IfModule>

Presumably this has been generated by TTG? There is also a more extensive .htaccess file (with much more "IfModule" stuff) at the same level as my root folder. The small files mention single.php and I wonder if this command is invoked when the single html image is called for, and if it is this that causes some delay or hiccup. Right now I am unable to reproduce the "cart unavailable" problem. The popup does not appear today! Yesterday it came up all the time.

To be continued...

#4 2016-01-07 21:42:52

rod barbee
Website

You are correct about what that .htaccess file does. I doubt it has anything to do with the cart message.

I only get that cart unavailable message occasionally; it's not predictable. I'm on shared hosting and I'm guessing it only happens when the server is extra busy doing all that sharing wink

Rod 
Just a user with way too much time on his hands.
www.rodbarbee.com
ttg-tips.com, Backlight 2/3 test site

Board footer